Thread: Dexcool Ruins Lives

Dexcool Ruins Lives

So I've got the sludge of death in my radiator.. Noticed it about a month ago. So I immediately ran to the parts store and grabbed some coolant cleaner. Ran it for about 6 hours and emptied it. Well dumbass me never removed the knock sensors to drain the block. So over the past month I've been draining the radiator only.. Oh and I've emptied and refilled with distilled water maybe a dozen times over the past month. Well it's still looking cruddy. Not as goopy as before but kinda darker and gritier. I've already determined I have a hairline crack in my radiator on the top right. So that will be getting replaced asap.. EDIT: Whats a good brand/make for a new radiator?

So I have 2 questions, maybe 3 lol.. Do I go get it "professionally" flushed by a shop before I drop in a new radiator? Or change the radiator and flush it out myself?

Oh and those knock sensors? I found them, pulled off the wire, but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it off from there.. My roommate suggested a super long socket. But I can't find sh!t on how to remove the knock sensor.. I'm sure it's super easy lol...
    If I can figure out how to get those knock sensors out I'd just run a hose from the hot water outlet on my washing machine to the radiator and let her rip for a few hours to flush it myself. Let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by Prec1se; 03-20-2013 at 06:12 AM.
    2000 Camaro Y87- SLP CAI, Magnaflow HiFlo Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Filter, ASD, 3.73's, 180 thermo
    2005 Trailblazer LS - SOLD
    1988 Monte Carlo SS - Stuck in New York
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 Raven Edition - My speed fix

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle
    Rockauto, whos a sponser has a bunch of stock replacement, or upgraded radiators. The spectra premium comes to mind. It what ill be getting once I get to that point.
    "I Am America (And So Can You)." ~Stephen Colbert~

thanks e4i, I'm always down to support a sponsor. I'll look into it.
    2000 Camaro Y87- SLP CAI, Magnaflow HiFlo Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Filter, ASD, 3.73's, 180 thermo

Dexcool Ruins Lives

You can also unhook the return line and take out the thermostat then just stick a hose in the radiator and let your pump do the work. It will probably do a lot better than your hot water line lol
    ~Ryan

evilkal: do I do that with the knock sensors out? Or does it just flow out of the return line since it's disconnected. And by let the pump do the work do you mean w the car on? Sorry for the copious questions...

Re: Dexcool Ruins Lives

If you go to auto zone they should have a flush and fill kit for about 10 bucks. I believe it installs on one of you heater core lines, but it will flush the whole system out with removing any knock sensors.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2001 V6 FIREBIRD 5 speed
    Mods: Powerdyne with 9psi pulley(currently installed on my work bench), Pacesetter headers, Magna Flow exhaust, MSD coils, 8mm wires, Whisper lid intake, K&N filter, Center Force clutch, and HP Tuners.
    2002 Savana: custom campervan conversion

Archives:
    2008 G8 GT
    Vararam intake, tunning, Android VIM (sold to some army guy)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold to the ex)

Dexcool Ruins Lives

I never removed the knock sensors when I flushed my coolant system. There's a decent write-up in the How-To section on here, and it involves flushing the whole system.

I did it 6 years ago with some Prestone coolant flush and it stayed fairly clean until last year. But that's mostly because I didn't use distilled water when I refilled it. About to flush it once more using the same procedure, but using distilled water this time.

Edit: Wrong forum, but still a good write-up.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=82695
    Last edited by pace; 03-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by firebird274 View Post
    If you go to auto zone they should have a flush and fill kit for about 10 bucks. I believe it installs on one of you heater core lines, but it will flush the whole system out with removing any knock sensors.
    I think I recall someone mentioning a kit like that over on tech. So thank you for bringing it up. I have to run to get some diff fluid today so I'll try and look for that kit.

Thanks pace: i'll check it out..

Btw fwiw just placed an order with RockAuto: new spectra premium radiator, rad cap, new overflow tank, wix fuel filter, some oil plug o-rings, plus new upper and lower rad hoses... Should be just like new by this weekend! (so much for the suspension order this paycheck lol..)

dont ask
    Please remember that everything your flushing goes thru your heater core

They are easily clogged up with garbage
    Dan