Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project "Concept" Bird

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by White94Bird View Post
    "Now that's just nasty!" Cleveland
    After seeing that I sucked about 12 oz. (all I could get) out of the MC and refilled it with fresh clear fluid till I can find the time to do a proper flush.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle
    Managed to get the front sway bar swapped out today, car is still on the jack stands. the damn power steering lines need an 18mm flare nut wrench, and I can't find one in the toolbox (found like every other conceivable size) and lowes has NONE (at all, no flare nut wrenches), Oriellys and Advance have sets but they stop at 17mm and for the life of me I can not break free that nut that connects the shaft to the rack. This "easy" job is turning into a pain in the ass.

and the required to be a FTV6 user picture.
    IMG_20130803_225413_925.jpg
    Last edited by Daniel644; 08-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Full Throttle
    well shit, so I finally get the power steering lines free and unbolt everything and the passenger side bolt on the rack won't come out because of the AC compressor, so to lowes we go to get a cutoff wheel and a bolt to replace the one we are about to demolish, everything is going well then pffff we have smoke, I nicked the damn steel brake line that runs from the ABS block to the passenger front wheel, FML now I've got to figure out a way to fix it (any good ideas) and get some brake fluid as it will have to be bled.

Full Throttle
    fuckin mother fucker, so get this after 2 days on jack stands I get the rack swapped, fix the busted brake line and get brake and power steering blead, then I take it off the jack stands and go to start the car, it cranks for about a second then stalls out, try cranking again and all it will do is turn over. hook up a battery charger, still just turning over and no start, continue to try to crank and still no luck but I start to smell fuel so I stop and let it sit, now I can't hear the fuel pump prime, I give up

My dads gonna call AAA and have it towed to a mechanic in the morning, unless you guys can solve this in the next 2 hours.

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    Check all your fuses under the hood.
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Full Throttle
    I give up, its going to a mechanic in the morning. for what it's worth I hooked up my OBD II dongle to the Torque app on my phone and when I tried to crank it, it showed a fuel flow rate (although I'm not sure if that comes from a sensor or if it is one of those generic numbers generated based on throttle position)

Full Throttle
    OK, they haven't had a chance to go thru everything yet, but they are saying it has no fuel pressure, so aside from the fuel pump being dead, what could cause it to not engage?

If it is the pump, what are some affordable replacement pumps, the ones at Advance, Oriellys and Autozone start at like 375 and that just sounds insane to me.

Security issue can cause no prime I think.

Other stuff would be fuse or relay. Did you check to see if you have power at the relay?

If the pump is dead, get a Walboro fuel pump. I think the 255 is the common one. Not sure what all is required for the installation, but I'm sure someone here could point you in the right direction. My car has a Walboro in it but the previous owner put it in. They are definitely cheaper than $375, I think they are like half that. The TU442 I believe is the direct drop-in replacement, but if you get a universal one you can swap the actual pump out of the bucket and save some money from what I'm reading, but again I have not done this before so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Sparky; 08-06-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

Full Throttle
    they've confirmed its the fuel pump, need some recommendations, I need to order one QUICK.

Like I said, Walboro 255. There's gotta be a writeup or info on its install somewhere around here.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

Full Throttle
    curiosity question, from what I've found online from the V6 to V8 swap threads on the 99+ f-bodies the V6 has 3 lines running all the way to the engine where as the V8 has 2 lines running to the engine and the third line going back to the fuel pump is t-ed off the feed line around the fuel filter. My question is why are they different like this, I know 1 on each is the feed line, but why the difference on the return line and what is the third line?

Full Throttle
    325 for labor to drop the tank and install the fuel pump, not bad considering some of the horror stories I've read online for these cars.

Full Throttle
    FYI, this http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=5715 is the fuel pump I got and man is it quiet, I can just barely hear it prime and can't hear it over the engine/exhaust when the car is running (unlike the old one that sounded like a bad ground loop in the stereo) and the service at ws6store.com was excellent, needed overnight shipping so I could get the car on the road by today so I had to call (only thing I didn't like was having to call to do overnight), I had email confirmations instantly and a fedex tracking number within 10 MINUTES of ordering.

Full Throttle
    so recently I've been mulling around ideas for wheels as I need to at least change out the rear tires and budget is tight, but being a daily driver I need to keep the price of tires cheap for now till I get a good tax return or something to boost the income so one idea I had was to buy these http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/4192001587.html and use plasti-dip to make my factory 16" "fronts" and those match, I figure this could buy me a year on HAVING to buy new tires and am kinda curious as to what a set of "staggered" factory wheels looks like (16x8's on front 17x9's on rear). anyone have a picture where someone has done this? Also thinking of dropping down to the 215/60/16 instead of the 235/55/16 on the fronts just because of price difference and selection on tires.

Full Throttle
    So I'm thinking it's about time to rebuild the auto transmission in this car, can anyone point me to the best budget build kits and a cheap torque converter option (like what one is that one for an s-10 i've heard of)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast