Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project "Concept" Bird

Full Throttle

Project "Concept" Bird

Well I decided after making a few threads that it's time to consolidate it all into my own "build" thread. For those unaware the car is a Pewter 99 Firebird 3.8 A4.

First lets start with my "mission statement", my basic goals are more cosmetic then anything else there will be some performance improvements along the way. What I'm trying to achieve with my build is to design something that could have been done by the factory if they had ME as a designer, basically picking up on what I consider the aesthetic weak points of the car and if budget ever allows doing something that has never been done to a firebird that would require the car to be taken off its daily driver status for a while but that is probably years away (assuming I don't wreck the car between now and then). I want everything I do to be truly custom but not so far over the top that it would be inconceivable that it could of been a factory option, this is a very tricky balance to achieve so I do expect some give and take to either side of that line but the important thing is for it to be clean and not over done.

Hell I even have some "Mad Max" themed concepts for the car as an alternative to this but then it would be a total show car and I want it to stay daily driver

Build status as of creating this thread:

Side Molding delete: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...elete-Write-up

Custom Rear seat delete/ Sub woofer enclosure: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...Delete-concept

I have also installed a Pioneer HU and replaced ALL the speakers in the car (see attached pics).

I have also done the typical Airbox mods of "shaving" the lid and cutting out the bottom to increase airflow and was able to "ghetto" rig a 22.5 degree plumbing elbow into the air intake eliminating the "silencer airbox" between the lid and Throttle Body.

I tinted the door glass myself, but will need to redo it at some point (would of helped to have a heat gun).

Oh, yeah and I've done the "BIG 3" using KnuKonceptz's 0 Gauge Kolossus Fleks Kable with an Optima redtop battery and went to using the top post mounts for the new wires.

Coming soon:

I have purchased and have sitting in my room Pacesetter Headers, Hooker LT1 Cat-back and Magnaflow 3 in 3 out Catalytic Converter. I choose the Hooker cat-back because it was one of the few that had the "S" bend in the pipe and would eliminate the need to do any pipe bending as my mechanic no longer has that equipment.

I am currently tossing around some ideas for the door panels, specifically the inserts and however they get finished the subwoofer enclosure will be finished to match. More on that this weekend if the weather is good.

Another project on the to-do list, now that the box is installed is fiber-glassing out the lower half of the sail panels to blend them into the sides of the subwoofer box, so I've got to look into that.

Expect status updates with pictures as things progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daniel644; 03-19-2013 at 02:44 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle
    I had an Idea today, so I did a really ruff markup in MS paint, If it's not raining all day tomorrow I'm gonna mock it up in plasti-dip on the car. The Idea I'm tossing around is to modify the front bumper to add a Honeycomb mesh inserts that hide the fog lights and DRL's behind the mesh. the black in the pic is the where this mesh would be incorporated.

the idea is inspired by how these older generations have the inserts in the bumpers.

First Impressions?

Kinda like this? But without the fogs?
    *Mods*
    Unnaturally Aspired

Full Throttle
    nice find, along that line but more in flow with the bumpers natural lines and the fog lights and DRL's would be hidden behind the "grille" (black honeycomb mesh) like how they are here.
    Last edited by Daniel644; 03-23-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Full Throttle
    A little teaser of this weekends project now that the parts have arrived.
    I'm sorry BLS but 500+ dollars for a premade retrofit kit is just way to much for lighting.

Costs so far for my retrofit
    40 dollars for D2H bulbs
    73.50 for pair of Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0's
    Shipping added to these 2 brings it to just under 120 for bulbs and projectors

8x10 sheet of .093 Lexan for the mounting plates
    and 2 8x10 sheets of .08 plexi to be used to vacuum form covers
    for a total of 8.50ish

Half Throttle
    I'd like to figure out a projector for my Camaro... where'd those come from?

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    I'd like to figure out a projector for my Camaro... where'd those come from?
    I bought those off Amazon from a company that goes by the Seller ID of Houston Retrofit, which is really headlightsquick.com because they had them for 30% off there normal price when I ordered them, then there was this whole shipping issue that is why I will NEVER do business with them again, when the package showed up it only had one projector in it when it should of had both and I had to spend 2 days on emails repeating myself saying I only got one and showing pictures of the way it was packaged because they said there inventory count and shipping weight showed they sent me 2 when they didn't and finally sent me the other one, apparently they fired the shipping department manager over this issue, If I ever do another retrofit I'll just buy from theretrofitsource.com since there in the same state as me and are known for there customer service.

Full Throttle
    Status update 12:46 am 4/14/13 I got my new ballast in earlier this week and finally decided to give it a test run using my old fog light HID's to check the quality of the ballast and initial testing is promising, unlike my old ballast there was no flicker with this one and the bulb warmed up much quicker then the old ballasts (under 20 seconds) so I may have actually found a decent quality "budget" ballast at a price of 40 dollars for the pair from Amazon.

Update 1:06 am decided to test the actual projectors and D2H bulbs, attached you will see 4 pictures, 2 the projector is tilted upward with the cutoff well above the 79 T/A, one of the projector lit up (at same tilt of other 2 pics) and a final pic of it tilted lower with the cutoff at about bumper level of the T/A. THIS IS THE OUTPUT FROM JUST ONE BULB.
    Last edited by Daniel644; 04-13-2013 at 11:14 PM.

I got my slim ballast HID's (long gone now as the HID pattern in a non-projector housing sucks balls) from hidny.com. IIRC I got mine for like $35 back in the day, now it seems they are up to $50. They worked flawlessly for the year or two I had them (despite the beam pattern sucking)
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

^Just got in on the GP for the BLS 2nd gen kit. Waiting for those to get in. I'll take pics for sure of the difference with my camera. It's getting where I'm wanting that cleaner/more professional look about the car I guess. Also I don't like the whole idea of getting pulled over for the HID's in stock housings.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by WarShrike View Post
    ^Just got in on the GP for the BLS 2nd gen kit. Waiting for those to get in. I'll take pics for sure of the difference with my camera. It's getting where I'm wanting that cleaner/more professional look about the car I guess. Also I don't like the whole idea of getting pulled over for the HID's in stock housings.
    I'm using the same bulbs and projectors for this retrofit that are used in the new BLS kit and just coming up with my own mounting method, next step is to build a vacuum table to use to mold the plexi over the projector so I can seal it up from the elements.

Full Throttle
    had a little fun with a new camera app on my phone today, thought I'd share. Also, scheduled to get the t-tops tinted monday so a little progress, still gotta find time to get the back window done, but I asked and he said he does the vinyl strip across the dot matrix.

Full Throttle
    got the T-tops tinted today.

now to find the time, somewhere in the next month to get that back window done.
    Last edited by Daniel644; 04-29-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Full Throttle
    Got the subs metered today did a 140.9 DB @ 44 Hertz "outlaw" style with the door open and my secret weapon (hitting the hatch pop button, which bumped me nearly 2 DB).

Full Throttle
    Some Vacation shots.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast