Thread: What tires are people running these days?

What tires are people running these days?

I'm going to be needing at least 2 new rear tires in the next few months, so I'd like to go ahead and figure out what I'd like to get to budget/shop around.

I like my Nitto 555's but they aren't OMG WOW. Summit has them at $170/tire, and I have a feeling that I can find better tires for around that price. I'd like to keep it to under $185/tire.

So who is running what?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm running General GMax tires. I've been real happy with them, and they have gotten good reviews when I was shopping and pretty affordable. Not anything like a 555 but they are a good street tire.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Full Throttle
    Last edited by insidethreat07; 02-22-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6
    Silver Hockey Stripes, Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, Shaved Intake Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs & PHB, Nitto 555s, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat.

I'm surprised, WalMart actually has Nitto tires (site to store). The 555's are $151/tire and the NT05's are $162/tire. What's cool is that is free shipping and I could have them in 3 days.

On Nitto's website they give the 555's the following review:

Ride Comfort: 3 out of 5
    Quietness: 3 out of 5
    Wet Performance: 3.5 out of 5
    Dry Performance: 3.5 out of 5

The NT05's get:

Ride Comfort: 2.5 out of 5
    Quietness: 2.5 out of 5
    Wet Performance: 3 out of 5
    Dry Performance: 5 out of 5

So who has experience with the NT05's?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

I use a Starfire SF340. Also nothing amazing, but quiet, extremely smooth, and pretty grippy. Just not ideal for wet pavement. I can smash the gas and do an auto-donut.

Edit: Realized late that you're most definitely in the market for something track-worthy. Shutting up.
    Last edited by RodModder; 02-28-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    1999 Camaro 3.8L
    Stock 4L60E
    Z28 Exhaust w/ resonator delete
    SF340 Tires
    Founder's Rear LCAs

I have dedicated autox tires, Hoosier R6's, these are going to be street tires but the car gets pushed pretty hard around the corners on a regular basis. I also take it down twisty roads so something with a stiffer sidewall is just more fun to me.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    I recently bought a set of yokohama Avid envigors for Monte Carlo.
    Being fwd i really needed something with grip. the tires delivered. I shaved .1 seconds off of my 0-60 due to less wheel spin and my ride quality is very good. Never had nittos so cant testify as to a comparison but i liked them. Excelent wet traction
    imo

Hunting for 10's
    I'd suggest getting 2 sets of rims if not 3.

1 daily (picking up bitches)

1 cone chasing ( a female sport then anything)

1 drag tires, ( the sport where men and boys are separated)
    97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

Already have 1.5 sets

1 set for daily

2 front R6's for autox (b/c a straight line is for the simple minded)

Once I get a garage I plan on picking up another set, but they will get R-compounds all around and then the 2 that have R6's on them will get some drag tires. The closest 1/4 track is a lil ways away, so I don't intend on going all that much after this build other than to see what she'll do. Autox is closer, and there are some 1/8 mile tracks around here but that doesn't really appeal to me at all...
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

I'm running Kumho Ecsta ASX's 275's all around. They're a good all around tire. You're going to be making a good bit more powah than I have right now and I can light them up in 1st and can spin it up a little bit in 2nd if I roll into it just before the torque is meaty.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Half Throttle
    I've been looking at the 555s for my wheels I just picked up, but they're 18x10.5" lol. Everything is ridiculously pricey for 18s... 555s are 162$ at my shops cost. What'd you think of yours? Good life?
    2000 Camaro Y87 3.42s, Built L26, 10:1, ST5 cam, GT35R stock T5. [email protected] RIP 6/21/14.

I acquired a set of original late 90's Camaro SS SLP 16X8 "ZR1" rims about a year ago. They were quite dirty, but NO curb rash, for about $500. They cleaned up quite well. I intend to have a new set of BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport 255/40/ZR16 tires mounted on them, after I get the rims re-clearcoated. The outside of the rims look really good, but after cleaning up the insides of these rims, I suspect that I rubbed off a lot of the original clearcoat, so if I don't get them sprayed, I suspect that they will "seep" some air, since aluminum is porous. Not quite as nice as a set of 17X9 wheels with 275/40/17 tires, but still pretty good. Will look pretty good, too, without spending $1500+. The tires should give me a bit better "ride", with a taller sidewall as well, but should still handle pretty well, a good compromise, especially on "rough" roads.

I've always been a Goodyear or BF Goodrich fan. Michelins are nice, but so spendy. Too bad that Goodyear stopped making
    245/50/ZR16 tires, they could be making a TON of money right now. Those tires are made in America, always wore well and lasted a decent amount of time, even with considerable abuse, and were affordable. I will avoid buying ANY chinese made tires at all costs. If you don't see chinese tires on a race car, they aren't worth buying, no matter how cheap they are. Good tires last longer, are more reliable, and give you better traction, performance, and balance. They are worth the extra money.

About a year ago, I bought a set of BF Goodrich HP tires (255/50/ZR16) for about $500 delivered, from eBay. Keep a lookout for them. It might take you awhile, but you can still get some really good deals there. The tires I bought still had the stickers on them.

Yes, it will cost me a bit to mount and balance them, but I saved a lot by not paying sales taxes OR shipping.