Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Monte Carlo "police interceptor" 3.1L?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar

2000 Monte Carlo "police interceptor" 3.1L?

Have a friend that found one for$3500 with 100k, is this a good deal? What's up with the police interceptor deal?

Hey thanks for any info...

Sent from an iPhone...sorry
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle
    why would a 2000 monte have a 3.1l in it? I would think it would have the 3800 N/A or supercharged. Ive never heard of an interceptor version of this!! I am intrigued.
    "I Am America (And So Can You)." ~Stephen Colbert~

I'm not sure I'd ever buy an ex-cop car... They are drove hard and put back wet.

Just like Jon.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    If your friend did indeed find a 2000 Monte Carlo, the engine options are going to be 3.4 v6, 3.8 v6, or 3.8 supercharged v6. The 3.1 v6 was offered in the previous body style that was between 1995 and 1999. The only specialty models were the Nascar themed ones.

I highly doubt there was ever a "police interceptor" model as most police interceptor cars of that era were V8 cars, such as Ford's Crown Victoria or the high pursuit Camaro's for the highway patrol. You started to see the Chevy Impala being more prevalently used as primary police unit cars as the Crown Vic's were being phased out.

More than likely your friend found a base 2000 model with the 3.4 V6 in it. Even though the miles are low, with all things taken into consideration, the price is still high but would be probably considered a normal price a dealer would be asking for. I'm going to call BS on the police interceptor package as there is simply no way a police force is going to use a two door car unless it is for high pursuit or publicity. On both the latter and former I highly doubt because no one is going to use a Monte Carlo for publicity nor will they use one for high pursuit because the simply wouldn't have a chance at that...regardless of the engine.

I would tell your friend to quickly walk away and pass on this.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

There was a 2006 Monte Carlo SS at the World of Wheels last year that came from GM with a V8 in it....a 5.3 but a V8 nonetheless. Nothing that would draw your attention to it on the street though.

Proud owner of an underpowered Trans Am clone...3.4 A4 V6, Bilstein HDs, black 17x9.5 ZO6 replicas, BMR adjustable torque arm-trans tunnel brace w/loop-stb-sfc-lca-phr-poly bushings, 1 piece driveshaft, gold 25th anniversary style stripes, honeycomb taillights, TA f/r bumpers-hatch-gfx-door panels-center console.

Full Throttle
    Thats not exactly the car we are talking about. And I like to call those montepalas. Impala front, monte rear. Actually happens to be one of my favorite monte's.
    "I Am America (And So Can You)." ~Stephen Colbert~

I haven't seen this car I'm going by this girls fb post. She is telling me it has 3.1 engine and police interceptor package?

I looked it up on the www but like Phoenix already said it should have the 3.4 it at least the 3.8? I told her to check a few things and if it drives good offer $2800.

Let say its the 3.4, any issues with that engine or trans that you guys know of?

Btw I'll tell her to sign up on her if she gets it.

98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

I've seen a few rust around the lower wheel wells/rocker panels. The engine is a solid engine, but just like any engine you have to check on all of the routine areas. I'm willing to bet it is the bottom model LS with the 3.4 in it. It would be an ok DD but I would get bored with it pretty quick. Gas mileage might put it at mid 20's for the highway and more than likely low 20's at best for the city.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Phoenix View Post
    I've seen a few rust around the lower wheel wells/rocker panels. The engine is a solid engine, but just like any engine you have to check on all of the routine areas. I'm willing to bet it is the bottom model LS with the 3.4 in it. It would be an ok DD but I would get bored with it pretty quick. Gas mileage might put it at mid 20's for the highway and more than likely low 20's at best for the city.
    Hey thanks for the info man.

Full Throttle Extreme! xxBatmobilexx's Avatar
    Im pretty sure the "police-intercepter" police cars have to be able to intercept most cars on the road, and the 3.8 cant do that. Most police interceptors have an LS V8 (GM) or of course the legendary caprice with the 4.6
    2005 Acura RSX - Stock
    2000 Firebird - Borla Pro XS 2.5in Catback, Magnaflow High Flow Cat , Whisper Lid, 3:42 Tuned by PCMforLess. Sold.
    -Kyle-

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xxBatmobilexx View Post
    Im pretty sure the "police-intercepter" police cars have to be able to intercept most cars on the road, and the 3.8 cant do that. Most police interceptors have an LS V8 (GM) or of course the legendary caprice with the 4.6
    The interceptor caprices were all 5.7l lt1's. the very early caprices had smaller v8's and were dog shit low in the early 90's. most interceptors or persuit cars were 1le third gen camaros and fox body mustang 5.0l lx notches. Only the mid 90's lt1 cars were used as interceptor cars. There was a police package on N/A 3.8 impalla's. they had some extra coolers and slightly different PCM flash. Why gm didn't use supercharged l67's is beyond me. I guess at that time a low15/high 14 second impalla was considered fast enough. It was as fast as most 4.6 crown Vic's of the early 2000's.

As for monte's normally the 3.8l montes got better fuel economy then the 3.4's due to the 3.4 being underpowered in a heavier car. The 3.4 was pretty good power wise in the lighter Grand Am and Alero. The 3.4's biggest problems are mechanical. They intake gaskets leak coolant into the oil, the front cover gaskets leak coolant, idler and tensioner pulleys like to lock up in the belt drive, and water pumps like to fail. The 3.4 is more than likely fitted with the 4t40e. The lack of dipstick will be the give away of this trans. It used a spill dam near the diff cover. They had some issues with valve bodies. If it has a dipstick for the trans it's a 4t65e. They also had valve body issues. The 3.4 didn't have enough power to hurt a 4t65 so as long as the fluid looks good your good.

3.4 monte's are decent cars. I would'nt buy one because normally they are low level ls cars and are down on power. If I were going to buy a 3.4 car I would look at a N body car ( grand am/alero). Anything wbody I would look at a 3.8.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Light Throttle
    The cownvic has a 0-60 of 8.2 thats about as fast as the new camry. the local police forces around me are sticking the ford 4.6 in the new sho intercepter so they are dog slow too

Quote Originally Posted by 04LSS View Post
    The cownvic has a 0-60 of 8.2 thats about as fast as the new camry. the local police forces around me are sticking the ford 4.6 in the new sho intercepter so they are dog slow too
    I might be wrong but I'm going to call BS on the engine swaps.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Quote Originally Posted by xxBatmobilexx View Post
    Yeah that's what I was thinking myself lol!

Full Throttle Extreme! xxBatmobilexx's Avatar
    Shit. I didnt mean caprice, I meant crown vic. Im an idiot.
    2005 Acura RSX - Stock
    2000 Firebird - Borla Pro XS 2.5in Catback, Magnaflow High Flow Cat , Whisper Lid, 3:42 Tuned by PCMforLess. Sold.
    -Kyle-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast