Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R compound prep

R compound prep

Going to be going to autox on the 18th with madforce10 and this is going to be my first time using my Hoosier R6's. They need a little softening, so after talking with John he said to look up some home brew tire prep recipes and use that. He suggested straight up kerosene and after searching I found a bunch of different recipes. I found this site that has all different ones and gives the situation for each, like slow prep vs at the track. I'm going to start doing the 1 part mineral spirits/2 parts diesel probably on Saturday or Sunday as that will give it a week of prep.

link

I don't think we have too many autox peeps on here, but what do y'all use for tire prep? I know I could just buy some prep, but whats the fun in that when I can make the one I'm making for like $5? lol
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Most circuits for auto x can be so short you won't get enough heat cycles in before the day is done.

Maybe check out frrax, and ask there.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Re: R compound prep

John suggested potentially driving to the event with them to get them heated, but I didn't tell him it was 1.5 hours away. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

drive there and your good to go. I never use tire prep unless at the track.

Lets see some old dirt track tire recipes where baby powder, coca cola, wire wheel, razor blade(experienced only), and believe it or not armour all. Dirt is different than pavement so I still am learning on this also. I remember coca cola needs to soak in but it softens or hardens the tire....................its been like 6 years so my memory is shot on this. I'd have to call a friend. Dont try any of this lol.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Contributing Sponsor
    Tire prep.

Quote Originally Posted by triple_l82 View Post
    drive there and your good to go. I never use tire prep unless at the track.

Lets see some old dirt track tire recipes where baby powder, coca cola, wire wheel, razor blade(experienced only), and believe it or not armour all. Dirt is different than pavement so I still am learning on this also. I remember coca cola needs to soak in but it softens or hardens the tire....................its been like 6 years so my memory is shot on this. I'd have to call a friend. Dont try any of this lol.
    Coke is the shit for everything. Cook with it, mix rum with it, mix vodka with it, mix jager with it, mix vanilla with it... clean with it, drink it plain, prep tires with it, mix rum with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Tire prep.
    Are go-kart guys the only ones who really do this? Every forum I found on it was a go-kart forum, so finding soak times and all that was very difficult. I researched for forever before I posted this b/c you said to go read. lol
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    what your really wanting to know is how to scuff the tires. ive never done this since my tires are usually used when i get them but here is what hoosier says you should do. http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/HOOSIER.pdf the r6 and the a6 are completely different tires. your going to have to try to get alot of heat in those tires to get the optimal grip. 8 runs should do that though. if there was a softening compound i would love to find out if it works or not.

Light Throttle
    after thinking about it you may want to get the tires on friday and when you comming to downtown go down 9 mile to senic hwy. that might do it for the first bit then go on the highway to get back. then maybe drive a little bit more to get some heat in them then let them cure.

Contributing Sponsor
    Here's one...

http://www.ehow.com/how_7191869_make...-softener.html

There is commercially available stuff, but it's very expensive.

Yep, seen that one too.

I'm going to throw the tires on tonight and go for a drive with them, then Tim (madforce10) and I are going to go to a spot he knows of to do some higher speed runs on them. Hoosier says to get some heat in them and then let them cure for a week before the event. The day before I'll probably do the mineral spirits/acetone/trans fluid mix on them.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    its not a high speed spot its just a hard cornering area thats all.

Re: R compound prep

Oh I'll make it high speed...

Sent from my [email protected] Charge
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Light Throttle
    i leave the high speed for the interstate and the track.

Contributing Sponsor
    Large empty parking lot and figure 8's will work.

When we were competing in the GRM $20xx challenges, we were using the A6's and would prep them with the above formula a week before the events.

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Large empty parking lot and figure 8's will work.

When we were competing in the GRM $20xx challenges, we were using the A6's and would prep them with the above formula a week before the events.
    did that formula really work to improve grip or not? im curious now to try on my hankook rs3s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast