Thread: lights get dim after 5,500 rpms at night

lights get dim after 5,500 rpms at night

i noticed the last couple nights when i get on it at around 1,500 then get to 5,500 rpm the lights start gettin dim. no codes , no battery light, checked battery, full charge will check alternator tomorrow. anyone had this problem?thanks for the help,jimmy
    Last edited by 1fastam; 11-06-2012 at 11:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    Have you checked your serpentine belt? It is possible that when you are running the engine at that high of rpms, the belt is slipping. Also, why are you needing to get on it up to that rpm? If this is something you are doing on a frequent basis, there might be more than your lights to be worried about.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

i reworded it rising-phoenix, i was saying when it reaches that rpm the lights go dim.it runs fine though.oh and the reason for getting on it i drive it 40+ miles to work at 45-55 miles per hour, mostly 45. so there's a stretch right before i get home so i open it up to clean it out, its a gtp supercharged + it's fun to drive,jimmy
    Last edited by 1fastam; 11-06-2012 at 11:50 PM.

I'd check for belt slip and your grounds. I wasn't trying to get on my high horse, but I had to ask. There are plenty of times I wish I had that "power steering" whine.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

ordered some goodies tonight, 3.4 pulley and puller, new belt ,and 104 autolite plugs. love zzperformance,jimmy

finally got the new belt on, lights still getting dim. i'll check the grounds tomorrow, been driving it 2 months like this no other problems. cranks fine i can drive at night with all the lights on, the heater on high radio on.lights don't dim until high rpms.engine runs great lights just go dim. thanks for replies.maybe it's the regulator, but all the parts stores only spin it fast enough to see if it charges not at high rpms.

grounds look fine retightened them all ,tightened battery terminals again. checked all wiring,nothing.checked voltage at battery and cig. lighter 14.3 at idle and slight rev.,jimmy

That is really odd for it to behave like that. Hopefully whatever is causing this doesn't leave you stranded somewhere.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Phoenix View Post
    That is really odd for it to behave like that. Hopefully whatever is causing this doesn't leave you stranded somewhere.
    me too ,may just get an extra and put in trunk.thanks ,jimmy

Light Throttle

Re: lights get dim after 5,500 rpms at night

Which lights dim. Headlights, interior, or all?

i know the headlights dim can't really tell on the interior lights,at that speed i'm watching the road,jimmy

Light Throttle

Re: lights get dim after 5,500 rpms at night

Not that its good but can you be in park and rev it up? If your interior lights dim too its probably a power issue. If its just your headlights then there is an issue with the lights id imagine... exposed wires that only get effected when the alternator is pushing out x power.

Try having your high beams on next time too instead of lows and see of those are effected..... or instead, the next time you drive home swap the Hi and low beam plugs. Plug the high beam plug into your 9006 plug before you leave for work and kick on the highs. If its not doing it there then its in the clusterf*ck wiring system we call headlights.

got a couple days off coming up and they're callin for rain so i may have time to pull belts again and check tensioner. i noticed the other day when i let the car warm up before goin to work ,when i came out to leave i could hear a little belt noise, (new belt) so should hear no noise.maybe tensioner i thought,jimmy

update: well its finally fixed! it was the alternator.finally went out yesterday went today had it rebuilt .put in new brushes. they stay bright now at all rpm's. thanks for all the help and ideas, really appreciated,jimmy