Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Drag Radials should I get?

Full Throttle

Which Drag Radials should I get?

Just as the title says. Keep in mind my car is still mostly stock. Best run is 15.6x. I bought an extra set of 10 spoke rims.Tires I want 275-40-17. I plan on switching wheels at the drag strip or even if Im in a hurry throw the DRs on the back and drive there (220 mile round trip).
    Ive been looking at these
    MT ET Street Radial
    Nitto NT05R
    Nitto 555r
    Thats really about all Ive looked at.
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6
    Silver Hockey Stripes, Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, Shaved Intake Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs & PHB, Nitto 555s, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Which Drag Radials should I get?

I'm sorry, you drive 220 miles round trip for the track? That is dedication....And a tank of gas. Lol.

I have 555's and have heard good things about the 555r's

Sent from my Tweaked Charge
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Re: Which Drag Radials should I get?

I wouldnt use 555R's as a dedicated track tire. Not sticky enough. I would go with some Mickeys.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy3800 View Post
    I wouldnt use 555R's as a dedicated track tire. Not sticky enough. I would go with some Mickeys.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide
    What about the NT05R?
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6
    Silver Hockey Stripes, Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, Shaved Intake Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs & PHB, Nitto 555s, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat.

Hard to beat ET streets for decent hook and they last longer than you think street driving. If the pavement is really hot, they go away a lot faster and you will know because they start picking up rocks. Extended highway running will also exceed the critical temp where they get gooey and wear out quick.

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.

Mickey > Nitto
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

Full Throttle
    Mainly just be used at the track. Switch wheels out there. Also if I'm in a hurry id also like to drive them there to the track. 200 mile round trip
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

Full Throttle
    get some bfg kdw 2s. i pulled a 1.6 60' with these. best street tire ive ever owned will always buy from now on. wet/ dry traction puts ever other tire ive owned to shame. plus it looks bad ass
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

The MT DR's are nice'n'sticky, I didn't run mine on the street, but I've read they last about an oil change, or 3500 miles. More expensive than the Nitto's though, and for a stock car I think a 555r is plenty of tire. If you can come up with the cash I'd get the MT's. Personally on my car I have M&H dr's, they're my street tire, bought them because they're supposed to have the traction of the MT's, but better life wear wise.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Full Throttle Extreme! pontiacfreak142's Avatar
    unless you plan on modding the car more ( i mean to the point that you NEED DR's), dont waste your money on them, you dont need them. national trails here in columbus does about the worst track prep i have ever seen, but i had my car running low 15's with an open rear end and i never spun. all i ran were some falken zx 512's
    1996 pontiac firebird 3.8 - 13.6 @ 98
    2000 pontiac bonneville 3.8 - 16.79 @ 84
    1995 olds 88 3.8 - no times yet

No i am not obsessed with 3800's

Full Throttle
    So If I dont need DRs should I just buy an extra pair or set of the tires I have one my cae now. Here is what I have on my car now:
    http://discounttires.com/product_det...E=&prodID=6770
    I tihkn when I bought these the first time they were like 150ish a tire
    Or just go with the 555r
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

thats up to you.

personally, i would make a couple passes with out doing burnouts (they dont help street tires anyway) and see if you are spinning much. if not, i wouldnt waste the money on any tires until you actually need them replaced.

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacfreak142 View Post
    thats up to you.

personally, i would make a couple passes with out doing burnouts (they dont help street tires anyway) and see if you are spinning much. if not, i wouldnt waste the money on any tires until you actually need them replaced.
    Ill give that a try. Only reason I do a little burnout is to make sure the water is off my tires. Its really hard to drive around the water box and not get some water on the tires
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

Quote Originally Posted by insidethreat07 View Post
    Ill give that a try. Only reason I do a little burnout is to make sure the water is off my tires. Its really hard to drive around the water box and not get some water on the tires
    yea there is nothing wrong with that, its just if you try to do an actual burnout, it will hurt traction on street tires because of the oils in the rubber.

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacfreak142 View Post
    yea there is nothing wrong with that, its just if you try to do an actual burnout, it will hurt traction on street tires because of the oils in the rubber.
    I maybe do a 3-5 sec burnout. Seen in these vids:

2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast