Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dif and clutch..

Dif and clutch..

Okay so I got my stage 3 spec clutch, a new flywheel, and I've had a bearing kit for my torsen dif chilling in my closet.

I've got a two day weekend for the first time in atleast 6 months and I plan on doing both my dif and also my clutch in these two days.. any hints tips suggestions? Anyone wanna come to berwick pa to help? I have beer! Lol

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..
    Much nicer, better, cleaner, and most importantly faster than the old one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

get some ramps, jack stands, trans fluid, tons of rags, kitty litter, metric socket set, air gun, big ass hammer, zip lock bags, sharpie, pry bar, breaker bar, some friends, trans jack, tons of tools, spare sockets, and be prepared to sacrifice alot of blood to the car gods.

I think I busted every knuckle everytime when I broke those damn trans bolts loose off the back of my 3800 and 3.4 the last couple times I did this. an impact gun and good supply of air is the best route. Also a very very very long fucking extension set that is very strong.

Do not take the whole car apart as if its your first time you will not do the clutch/flywheel and then the diff in 2 days. Also take your time. Look up torque specs also and upgrade the flywheel bolts while your in there.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Well I do have 20 yr mechanic help, and also a dude I work with who's handy. I have a tool supply where I'm doing this and a pit to get under the car!

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..

my shops located in wva ill give u a good price if u decide u dont want to tackle it my number is 304 203 0183 josh is my name my shops called Prices Garage i have a shop page on facebook

I already started :x and got nearly nothing accomplished.

Took torque arm off, trans mounts, all of the bolts that connect it to the block, and drive shaft.

I had no help and was extremely aggitated the entire time and when I took the driveshaft out all of my trans fluid started started running out. I was so discusted that no one would assist me, and that nothing went right that I just gave up at that point and got a ride home from my gfs mom.

So I'm now without my only car. I have the seal that's bad causing the fluid leak.

What all else do I have to do in order to rip trans off. Its held up by a jack right now.

I know I need shifter off but is that all that I have left?

98 Maro

Re: Dif and clutch..

The fluid will come out once you pull the driveshaft. It's not a bad seal unless it's leaking with the driveshaft in. Drain the fluid before yanking the driveshaft or plug it.

Yank the shifter, take out the driveshaft, unplug all electical connections to the trans, take off the transmission cross member, undo the torque arm and take off the bracket, disconnect the slave, undo the bolts for the bellhousing. Yank transmission. You may or may not have to take off the y pipe depending on how much room you have.
    Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide
    Last edited by HeavyChevy3800; 10-07-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

I bought the seal because there's a slight leak with the shaft in also.
    Starter can stay? And also there's only 8 bolts for the bellhousing right? Six that bolt to the block and two to little brackets?

I have everything else done.. I didn't do shifter yet, but I did try yanking the trans apart from the block with no luck. Also I got all the bolts for the bellhousing off without busting up my knuckles!

And I have inadvertently tasted every fluid in a car now I believe..

98 Maro

you have to remove the shifter to get the trans out, otherwise you will hang up on everything and tear up your console.
    Larry:
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car

Well it hadn't even moved backwards at all.. how big of a pita is it to get off the engine? I was yanking pretty hard and it wouldn't budge..

98 Maro

its sitting on dowel pins that are a huge pain in the ass and also the input shaft sits inside a bearing on the crank, then the input shaft is also slid into the clutch/pressure plate.

It is a huge pain in the ass and best bay is to pry them apart working your way around the bell housing. rubber mallet and alot of patience. alot of anger/frustration/foul language/ and tons of throwing things not to mention all the oil/blood/sweat/ and on occasion tears. I have yet to tear as I just throw my tools curse myself when I need them and have to walk over to were they now lay and retrieve them. just take your time and think about it. should be like 6 bolts.
    Larry:

Yeah I got all the bolts then it seems like it would be loads easier with friends.. which none would help.

98 Maro

^this is going to happen way more than it is right now. This is something you are going to have to just deal with. Your coming across as a little pre madonna right now.

Suck it up, get your ass back under your car, be a man, and get the little 50-75lb trans out of it. Be persistant and get after it till its done. If it was me, I would have had it out on day one because i would not stop until it was out of the car atleast. Then I would have done a tribal dance around it, facebooked the victory of removing it, and celebrated by making mad love to my wife.

Dude seriously, if you want to mod cars and hot rod this is part of it. So go get the job done. You are coming across like your insecure about doing this on your own, you dont need help, advice maybe but not help. Get a prybar, rubber mallet, and go to town.

Have you removed the shifter linkage?
    Clutch linkage?
    All bolts?
    Dust shield?

Another little bit of helpfull advice. Leave the trans crossmember in place and take the trans mount off, then move your jack to where it can support the front of the trans and not the whole trans. Use the prybar in the front with the aid of the rubber mallet to work your way around the bellhousing, you will have to tap the sides of the housing then pry on one side and then the other. It will help even more if you can wedge something on one side and pry on the other. It will separate. It just takes a minute to free up.

If I sound harsh, i"m sorry but seriously man. You have had since friday when you first posted this.
    Larry:

If you can't get it out by yourself there is only one solution for your car.

2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

Sorry if that's how I come across but I have to do it at my gfs moms garage, and I have serious time constraints because of work now. Idk when the next time ill even be able to work on it again..

98 Maro

I don't think anybody mentioned this yet:

Make sure you have the engine supported, otherwise it's putting pressure on the trans making it harder than it already is to get out. I'd be willing to help if I had a free weekend anytime soon, unfortunately I don't.

I'm assuming you have a tranny jack as well? If not, get one. The first time I took my t56 out I read about people having done it with just a floor jack, but I decided I wasn't that much of a beast and I'm glad I didn't bother trying it.
    '94 z28 - !AC, !A.I.R., 98+ Front Brake Swap, !Clutch
    -PB: [email protected]

'95 Saturn SL - Rice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast