+ Reply to Thread

How To: CO2 Cooling Systems

Since my first post asked for help, here is my repayment.
    CO2, much like a refrigerant, cools rapidly as it expands. However, unlike refrigerants, it's cheap as dirt. I'm certain some of you have seen CO2 intercooler assistance systems or nitrous purge systems. I have no pictures of this tutorial at the moment, as the install was done on my previous vehicle, and has yet to be transferred to my Camaro, but here we go.

Depending on your chosen application, you're going to follow one of two methods for the distribution of this wonderfully cold gas. You will need either a cooling-coil system or a nozzle-type system. Either way, you will need a few things:
    -CO2 tank (paintball type, available at sporting goods stores)
    -Regulator (paintball type, available online)
    -Braided brake line
    -Brass fittings (hardware store, can't remember what size)
    -Hose clamps or a bracket to hold your tank
    -High Pressure solenoid to control CO2 flow (also a paintball part)
    -Momentary switch to control solenoid

For a coil system (cooling intake pipes, charge pipes,etc...), you will need a length of malleable copper tubing, available at large hardware stores. The thin stuff is what you're looking for, something like .25"

For a nozzle system, you will need to figure out a way to set up a nozzle at the end of your system. I've never used this style, but a nitrous nozzle will certainly do the trick.

The regulator attaches to the bottle using a hose, which attaches to a fitting that the bottle screws into. When I did this, I scrapped a paintball gun. Three cheers for cheating! If I were you, I would do the same. The bottle screws into the receiver, which is connected by a high pressure hose to the regulator. Most of these regs sit between 100 and 250 PSI!!! From there, you use the strongest solenoid you can find. Nitrous solenoids work beautifully. eBay is your f(r)iend. That solenoid should be wired (through a fuse, of course) to that momentary switch in your cabin. Mine was a thumb-switch like those little-red-button type things they used in Fast and the Furious. Your solenoid lets CO2 flow from the bottle through that length of brake line you have (because brake line holds HUGE pressure, and I like to overbuild things), and then to your copper tubing via compression fitting, soldering, brazing, etc... Be creative. I used steel epoxy to connect a brass fitting to my tubing, which screwed into the brake line. Once that's done, you wrap that tubing around your charge pipe as many times as will fit. The more the better, cause that'll let it cool much faster. Vent the end of your tube FAR away from your intake filter. CO2 is inert, so it sure as hell won't do your engine any good (think complete stall-out). Mine vented to atmosphere outside the hood, via the hole for the passenger side wiper fluid nozzle. THAT looked cool standing still.

That's it. You're done. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will make every attempt to clarify.
    1999 Camaro 3.8L
    Stock 4L60E
    Z28 Exhaust w/ resonator delete
    SF340 Tires
    Founder's Rear LCAs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Xxbullit70xX

One of our sponsers sells a kit to Useing a cooling bulb that goes into the intake to cool incoming air. They also have fuel coolers and intercooler spray bars. This is a great system and if I used a air to air intercooler I would have gone this route for the extra cooling power.

Ny-trex nitrous --------->
    Last edited by bullit_70; 09-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    - TYLER -
    2000 Camaro, P&P Intake, GU6/G80, D/S Brakes, Alum DS, BeCool Transmission cooler, 180* Stat. HP Tuners, Precision 6262, Turbonectic 42mm Racegate, Devils Own Meth kit.
    Mid mount system 7PSI - 269HP 311TQ
    Front Mount goal - 400 RWHP

2000 Siverado, Spector Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, 4x4 3.73 w/ LSD.
    1998 TLR1000 - Totaled by a driver not paying attention

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: slashervrgr

Pretty good write up!

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..
    Much nicer, better, cleaner, and most importantly faster than the old one

dont ask
    welcome to the board

Quick question on your thread and write up

Why?
    What are you trying to cool with C02?
    Just curious

Thanks

Oh yeah
    Where are u in N Tx?
    Dan

I designed this particular plan after noticing how cold my paintball gun was. I did it because it was practically free. I like using it to cool intake and charge pipes. The nozzle version works for cooling radiators and intercoolers, as bullit says. And I go to the University of North Texas, so I'm in Denton.
    1999 Camaro 3.8L
    Stock 4L60E
    SF340 Tires
    Founder's Rear LCAs

Hunting for 10's
    Quote Originally Posted by usd2sing View Post
    welcome to the board

Quick question on your thread and write up

Why?
    What are you trying to cool with C02?
    Just curious

Thanks

Oh yeah
    Where are u in N Tx?
    All that work you could spray nitrous into your intake a have a real measurable hp gain.
    97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: droccm541

or you could spray nitrous, and use the co2 to cool down the fuel

My point with this isn't HP gain. While working with my Accord and my Galant, I heard tell of many folks who had detonation issues at higher rpms. I came up with this to cool down the intake charges. Imagine if your intake air ran through an ice-cold pipe. Good shit, right? Also, it can be used for you radiator, intercooler, as an aid to spin up your turbine, or, as droccm98 said, your fuel. You name it. It's a platform for many more involved applications.
    1999 Camaro 3.8L
    Stock 4L60E
    SF340 Tires
    Founder's Rear LCAs

+ Reply to Thread