Thread: Finally got out to the track, should I be running faster?

Finally got out to the track, should I be running faster?

Well I finally got out to the drag strip, went to Island Dragway in NJ with my buddies. Ran the Camaro and had a lot of fun. My best pass was a 15.825 in the high 80's I believe with a 2.5 60 foot. I made 6 passes, 3 of which were spot on 15.8's, one 2 were 15.9's and the last was a 17 because I missed 3rd and let off.

I think half my problem was launching, the track was slick and I didn't have my 18's on the rear, but my 16's that are at the wear marks. Even still I managed a 2.4 60 foot as my best, I also didn't air down the tires at all. When I ran the 17, I was pulling on a Saturn Ion Redline that ran a 15.5, it looked like I would have had him by a hair.

So my thought is with my 18's with brand new tires air'd slightly down, installing my 1 piece driveshaft, new plugs, and a new fuel filter, I'm hoping to be in the 15.3's Is this unrealistic, or where I should ideally be at with some more practice. I have the y87 package, with a 5 speed, intake, exhaust and a tune.

Would headers, roller rockers, ported intakes, and the above mentioned work get me into the 14's?
    1996 Camaro RS y87 - 3.8L/T5 - Removed RS kit (damn previous owner), PCMforLess tune, "ebay" cold air intake, custom side-exit exhaust, "very" high-flow cat, Flowtech glasspack, A-pillar guages, 3.5 sets of wheels, GS stripes, flat black sail panel, more to come.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! pontiacfreak142's Avatar
    Yea i wouldnt count on 15.3 with 18's on it. The bigger the rim, the more it effects your gearing. Right after i did a cai, full exaust and 3.73 gears, i ran 15.2 and thought i was spinning so a buddy let me borrow his 17 inch rims with better tires. I went from running consistant 15.2's to running 15.4-5.
    1996 pontiac firebird 3.8 - 13.6 @ 98
    2000 pontiac bonneville 3.8 - 16.79 @ 84
    1995 olds 88 3.8 - no times yet

No i am not obsessed with 3800's

Re: Finally got out to the track, should I be running faster?

I have faith in breaking into 14's with practice and your mods you want, depending which exhaust route your going, just muffler no, full upgraded exhaust or true duals maybe. and If you get it retuned

Sent From The Future.

Thanks for the response drocc, I'm waiting to go the supercharged route over winter, but that will be with an entire l67 motor now, since my buddy is getting me a running one for dirt cheap. Until then, I was considering upgrading the exhaust, I was curious to see if the addition of roller rockers might get me there in addition to the other mods I listed. Right now I'm on stock piping/manifolds and have a catless side exit with a glasspack. It flows good, but I think headers would be a logical move in the future. I just picked up a set of racing seats, so I'm gonna do a rear seat delete, harness bar/4 points. The trunk is already gutted. I'm thinking the loss of some weight may get me closer to the low 15's I want to get.
    1996 Camaro RS y87 - 3.8L/T5 - Removed RS kit (damn previous owner), PCMforLess tune, "ebay" cold air intake, custom side-exit exhaust, "very" high-flow cat, Flowtech glasspack, A-pillar guages, 3.5 sets of wheels, GS stripes, flat black sail panel, more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacfreak142 View Post
    Yea i wouldnt count on 15.3 with 18's on it. The bigger the rim, the more it effects your gearing. Right after i did a cai, full exaust and 3.73 gears, i ran 15.2 and thought i was spinning so a buddy let me borrow his 17 inch rims with better tires. I went from running consistant 15.2's to running 15.4-5.
    Yes, I know weight and rotational mass play a huge difference, my thinking is my vette wheels weigh not much more than the 16's, so potentially being able to hook at say 2-3k, instead of spinning all the way through first when I launch at 2-3k would make a big difference, we'll see, we're going back the 2nd or 3rd friday of september. I cant wait.

every 100lbs is .1 off your time. id recommend battery relocation to the trunk so you can get more traction.
    headers iirc is 14 rwhp, and do you have a gutted cat or straightpipe

Quote Originally Posted by droccm98 View Post
    every 100lbs is .1 off your time. id recommend battery relocation to the trunk so you can get more traction.
    headers iirc is 14 rwhp, and do you have a gutted cat or straightpipe
    Gutted cat for legal purposes, only have a visual inspection where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by dugganzx3 View Post
    Gutted cat for legal purposes, only have a visual inspection where I live.
    put a pipe through the cat, the open area slows the gasses and hurts exhaust flow

Went back again, new plugs, new rear shocks, stock 16's front, 17in front c5 wheels put on the rear. Ran my best at 15.612 at 89 mph. 2.2 60 ft. Consistently ran 15.6's after this, but couldn't beat my first time. I had a shit ton of wheel hop the first pass, and had the rear tires fully air'd up. The sad part is, my best run, was my first run. After this I air'd down the tires to 25psi in the rear, and slipped the clutch more, less wheel hop, but I really need new lca's. I still couldn't beat my first run that night, but new plugs got me 2 tenths off the last time I went, I think the 17's hurt me because they were hopping. If this car doesn't sell, I'm gonna do some more small things, and bracket race it next summer, at least 3 or 4 passes were off by less than a hundredth of a second, all 15.61's/15.62's.

Re: Finally got out to the track, should I be running faster?

Next time put the smaller and lighter rims on back, rotational mass.

Sent from the future.

Full Throttle Extreme! pontiacfreak142's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dugganzx3 View Post
    Yes, I know weight and rotational mass play a huge difference, my thinking is my vette wheels weigh not much more than the 16's, so potentially being able to hook at say 2-3k, instead of spinning all the way through first when I launch at 2-3k would make a big difference, we'll see, we're going back the 2nd or 3rd friday of september. I cant wait.
    Im not even talking about weight, im saying size wise. Meaning, seeing as the rim is bigger, the overall height (including tires) maybe more than stock. In that case, its hurst your rearend gearing also. Its like putting 4.10's in a car then also going with a 2 inch taller tire might put you at more like having 3.90 rear gearing. I dont think it hurts that much, but ya get the point.
    1996 pontiac firebird 3.8 - 13.6 @ 98
    2000 pontiac bonneville 3.8 - 16.79 @ 84
    1995 olds 88 3.8 - no times yet

No i am not obsessed with 3800's