Thread: clutches

clutches

Okay, so I need a clutch.. bad lol

My question is, should I get a centerforce dual friction clutch, or a spec stage 2 or 3. I want to get a clutch with decent holding power as I'm going to be using it for my turbo hybrid build in the future.

Sooo any suggestions would be welcome

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..
    Much nicer, better, cleaner, and most importantly faster than the old one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bump...
    Ps.. post 454

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..

I would go with an Exedy Stage 2. should be plenty of holding power, they are good for 320+hp. They make a little bit of chatter noise but a decent exhaust should drown that out
    October '11 ROTM
    2005 Mazda RX8 Sport 6spd
    Mazdaspeed Spec 2 Clutch/Trans, MazdaSpeed Struts/Shocks, Agency Power Mid-Pipe, RB REV8 Catback, RB REVi Intake. LS2 Ignition Coils in progress.

centerforce

Custom longtubes, custom trueduals /w x-pipe, Whisper lid, SLP cold air kit, Global West Del-a-lum upper a-arm bushing kit, Global West lower a-arm bearing kit, KYB AGX shocks, Eibach springs, UMI boxed subframe connectors, sphon rear lower control arms /w relocation brackets, UMI adjustable pan hard bar, 32mm front sway bar, + more. Manual/t-top converted

Quote Originally Posted by Meatyshells View Post
    centerforce
    Yeah? Any particular reason? Lol

98 Maro

You're F**ked! Have you ever replaced a clutch in one of these things?
    YOU ONLY GET TO PICK 2:
    * * FAST * * * RELIABLE * * * CHEAP * *

ZZP U/D H2O * ZZP 10% U/D Alt. * NGK V * Centerforce dual-frict. * SLP Loudmouth I * 1LE Alum. D/S * Alum. Diff. Cover * WS6 Sway's * Moog End Links
    BMR Trailing Arms * BMR Reloc. T/A brackets

Quote Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR View Post
    Yeah? Any particular reason? Lol
    well first off it wasnt too expensive. It has taken quite a bit of abuse from me over the 3 or 4 years ive had it, from road racing, autocross, drag strip, and just plain DDing. Clamps good and pedal has a good feel.

Custom longtubes, custom trueduals /w x-pipe, Whisper lid, SLP cold air kit, Global West Del-a-lum upper a-arm bushing kit, Global West lower a-arm bearing kit, KYB AGX shocks, Eibach springs, UMI boxed subframe connectors, sphon rear lower control arms /w relocation brackets, UMI adjustable pan hard bar, 32mm front sway bar, + more. Manual/t-top converted

Light Throttle
    X2 centerforce. Changing the clutch out isn't that bad either, just take your time.
    97 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, FFF longtubes, TSP Rumbler, SLP CAI, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1LE driveline, J&M 35mm front/ 19mm rear swaybar, Hotchkis STB, UMI LCA's/PHB/SFC's, KYB AGX shocks, Heavy right foot.

if its a daily driver a luk or exeddy oe clutch is the way to go make sure the flywheels in good shape if u cut it have it shimmed and use new master and slave cylinder to make it work the way it did new there not bad to get a out the torque arm is the worse thing

I'm buying a new flywheel, because my clutch has been slipping and my rms is leaking into my bellhousing most likely onto the clutch, and they're cheap on rockauto.

I've decided I'm going with the centerforce.

Also... clutch shouldn't be bad at all.. atleast its not a fwd geo lol

Speaking of which, am I going to be able to get at all of the trans to block bolts without moving the engine?

98 Maro

Light Throttle
    Its a real tight fit, I think I had to jack the front of the motor up a little to get to the top 2 bolts.
    97 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, FFF longtubes, TSP Rumbler, SLP CAI, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1LE driveline, J&M 35mm front/ 19mm rear swaybar, Hotchkis STB, UMI LCA's/PHB/SFC's, KYB AGX shocks, Heavy right foot.

Well I wound up going with the spec stage 3 because it was the same price but came with a throw out bearing and an alignment thingy.

98 Maro

imo i would go with a solid bushing over the roller one spec gives you. They are like 10 bucks at autozone

Hmm.. thanks for the input, ill probly do that
    Pretty sick though, should hold up to my hp goal nicely

98 Maro