Thread: Possible new car

Half Throttle

Possible new car

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently looking into getting a 1986 Pontiac Fiero with a engine/trans swap from a 2000 GTP. The current owner says it is having issues shifting, but claims it is either in the PCM or wiring harness. Anyone have inside advice on these?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    Ask mister wizard, Jon he was fixing one up a while back.

Sent from the best phone in the world, the iPhone using Tapatalk

Half Throttle
    Just got off the phone with the owner, and he said it can be shifted manually, but doesn't like drive, something with the solenoids not communicating with the PCM correctly.

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    Well if the harness, engine, trans and PCM are from the same donor car there should be much of an issue. That is unless the harness was damaged or the PCM or the trans was shot from the get go. Do we know if the Gtp functioned properly before the powertrain was pulled? The power train control section of the harness on a Gtp is isolated meaning that it should just plug in and all the fiero would need to supply is some power and ground sources.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

I think he is selling it because he does not to deal with the problem that he created during the swap. If i was going to buy that car, I would plan on buying a whole new Trans, harness, and ECM. I would also use this as leverage during the negotiations. That way even if you don't have to end up replacing all three, you now have the money to actually fix it. Fieros are fun cars, small but fun. I enjoyed mine while I had it, wish I still did. Good Luck

2001 V6 FIREBIRD 5 speed
    Mods: Powerdyne with 9psi pulley(currently installed on my work bench), Pacesetter headers, Magna Flow exhaust, MSD coils, 8mm wires, Whisper lid intake, K&N filter, Center Force clutch, and HP Tuners.
    2002 Savana: custom campervan conversion

Archives:
    2008 G8 GT
    Vararam intake, tunning, Android VIM (sold to some army guy)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold to the ex)

Half Throttle
    From what he tells me the PCM did NOT come from the same car as the engine and trans. The trans is supposedly in good shape, and has been rebuilt with all new solenoids and whatnot. He swears up&down that it's a tuning issue. So I told him to reflash the tune to a spare PCM from my 00 GTP and see what happens, we'll take it from there. Looks like that's getting done next Saturday.

Good choice.

^^^^
    True Muscle cars

1996 Camaro RS.
    1986 Fiero GT

Half Throttle
    Well thankya Jay. Sure will make my Camaro look like a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    Well thankya Jay. Sure will make my Camaro look like a joke.

I'm looking at an L67 Fiero myself for sale in San Diego and another up in Los Angeles. The problem we have here is the damn smog testing bullshit.

Fuck the EPA!

^^^^
    True Muscle cars

1996 Camaro RS.
    1986 Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by firebird274 View Post
    I think he is selling it because he does not to deal with the problem that he created during the swap. If i was going to buy that car, I would plan on buying a whole new Trans, harness, and ECM. I would also use this as leverage during the negotiations. That way even if you don't have to end up replacing all three, you now have the money to actually fix it. Fieros are fun cars, small but fun. I enjoyed mine while I had it, wish I still did. Good Luck

1+

There's also no telling what else could be wrong with it.

^^^^
    True Muscle cars

1996 Camaro RS.
    1986 Fiero GT

Half Throttle
    Well it's getting tuned at a very reputable shop in 2 days, I'm picking it up in 3. We'll see how well the tune goes, and I'll keep everyone up to date. I'm hopeful.

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    Be careful with having a different PCM. 97 and 03 are completely stand alone years and will only work with the corresponding year. 97 PCM to 97 trans and 03 PCM to 03 trans. The internal harness of the trans is unique to those pcm's. Also 98 can be a bit of an odd ball too as the PCM software is very similar to the 97 but it uses the 98-02 hardware. 99-02 are identical. 98 should work as well. I have never seen any info to say otherwise on 98.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Half Throttle
    Oh man... the tuning was the least of the issues with that car. I walked away before it even got on the road...

what was the news?

Half Throttle
    Only news is that I walked away from a deal that I firmly believe would have ended with me and anyone near the car in a wooden box.