Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Throttle on Camaro

Problems with Throttle on Camaro

It doesn't idle high. The cable seems to be fine. The problem is when I rev the engine, the throttle acts like it's sticking. It will stay high and come down slow. This happens about 1 out of every 5 revs or so. The spring doesn't appear to stick either. Not sure what else it could be. Something deeper?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    Pop the throttle body off( get a new gasket first) get some throttle body cleaner and follow the direction on the can. Pay close attention to the throttle plate edges, it gets all black with carbon build up and won't close all the way, and mimics a intake leak. Messes up all the computers sensors lol gd luck man.

Sent from the best phone in the world, the iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, there are only 40,000 miles on the car. Is it normal to have this problem?

without taking anything apart you SHOULD be able to tell just by looking when its acting up, find the throttle cable, the cable wraps around a half pulley shape, pull on the bottom of that pulley to make the car rev, and let go, it should snap back fairly quick, you should be able to tell if its hesitating

If its cable throttle it has an IAC valve on the side of the throttle that can get gummed up with crud. Its a little black canister with 4 wires (i think) going to it. Clean it and the bore or replace it. The throttle blades do guck up too and unfortunately you have to pull the throttle body off to clean it from the backside. The MAF screen in front means it cant be cleaned on car. Do the IAC first and i bet it fixes it.

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.

The throttle cable snaps back in position. I know it's not the cable. I went to 4 different auto parts stores before finally just ordering the gasket (nobody had one in stock). It comes in tomorrow. Until then, I'm just waiting.
    I'll post after I can clean the throttle body and see what happens.

Oh, this is the SS, by the way, with the LS1. It idles rough. It's shaky. Maybe it's supposed to be... I'm not sure. Anyone else have an SS with a shaky idle?

unless its cam'd or a big block it shouldnt shake

Quote Originally Posted by MetalBison View Post
    The throttle cable snaps back in position. I know it's not the cable. I went to 4 different auto parts stores before finally just ordering the gasket (nobody had one in stock). It comes in tomorrow. Until then, I'm just waiting.
    I'll post after I can clean the throttle body and see what happens.

Oh, this is the SS, by the way, with the LS1. It idles rough. It's shaky. Maybe it's supposed to be... I'm not sure. Anyone else have an SS with a shaky idle?
    Aaah didnt know it was a LS1. Check the hose on the passenger side of the throttle that goes to the PCV valve. 90 degree looking thing. Damn thing rots off on every one of these cars and gives the exact symptoms you are describing. Also check the power booster hose on the driver side back corner. It can give trouble.
    Last edited by trb0355; 06-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Stromberger Performance

98 camaro V6 turbo

Not that you have to pull it off now but the LS1 TB gasket is a reusable o-ring. Clean the MAF while your at it with some q tips and brakleen on the inlet side of the resistors especially if it has a [email protected] filter. Always filthy and screws up the fueling bigtime!

Stromberger Performance

98 camaro V6 turbo

Quote Originally Posted by trb0355 View Post
    Aaah didnt know it was a LS1. Check the hose on the passenger side of the throttle that goes to the PCV valve. 90 degree looking thing. Damn thing rots off on every one of these cars and gives the exact symptoms you are describing. Also check the power booster hose on the driver side back corner. It can give trouble.
    What is a power booster hose?

The PCV hose has small cracks in it around where the actual valve is.DSC_1264.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MetalBison View Post
    What is a power booster hose?
    Comes off the back of the intake and heads to the power brake booster. Your pcv hose is dying like all of them but doesnt look to be your problem. Dang, i thought that was it for sure.

Stromberger Performance

98 camaro V6 turbo

Well I haven't cleaned the throttle body yet. I'm now having a hard time finding a grommet for that pcv valve.

Cleaned the throttle body. It didn't really need it. There was SOME dirt, but not much. Nothing that would need a cleaning. The throttle functions just fine. I couldn't get the throttle cable off to completely clean it, but I got what I could.
    I put a new PCV valve in. The old one was still good, but had some gunk on it.

After those things, the problems still persist. Rough idle and faulty acceleration. I asked the previous owner if he swapped the camshaft. No reply yet.
    I couldn't find anything anywhere on the internet that would say whether the 2002 SS LS1 has a performance cam. That would at least settle my mind about the rough idle.

LS1 with 41000 miles.
    T-56 6 speed manual with a Hurst short throw
    New exhaust with high flow cats and Magnaflow muffler
    Pacesetter headers
    Cold air intake
    Strut tower brace

I thought I'd share the specs.
    Bought it from a guy who had it for 2 months. I don't know what Pacesetter Headers are. I'm not very knowledgeable on performance parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast