Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meguiar's Professional Dual Action Polisher

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar

Meguiar's Professional Dual Action Polisher

In thinking about getting this polisher, so what do you guys think? Anybody ever try it or know anybody that has? Think it's a waste of money? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Sent from the best phone in the world, the iPhone using Tapatalk
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i have a 10 inch 10+ year old buffer my dad gave me, i used it to polish the whole car and i use it to wax it, i love it. id buy a cheap one, but im no professional detailer.

Yeah I have a 10" buffer, they suck ass at removing swirls, so I need to step up to a da polisher like this one... I think? It's suppose to be safe and they have a 2 step process to simplify it for us less experienced guys.

98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

I don't know what exact one your looking at, but the Porter Cable 7424 is a excellent machine and will do everything you need.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Porter_C..._p/buf_209.htm

Great kit and some good products to start with.
    2007 Acura TL Black on Black w/Navi
    1996 Camaro Base - Sold
    1995 Firebird - Sold
    1999 Firebird - Sold
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Sold

Now idk what one is better??? But this is what I was looking at

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-dua...m_campaign=CSE

Last edited by hevymetalg; 05-23-2012 at 08:27 PM.

I've never heard anyone using that buffer.

The thing is, Porter Cable has been making tools for years.. I've had my older model 7424 for quite a few years now and it's still going strong. Meg's has been making waxes and soaps and such for years; im not so sure Id trust them to build a quality tool. Not saying its not good, just saying I personally have never seen big detail guys use it. Steve from Showroom FX used to be a sponsor here and he recommended the 7424 kit to me as a noob, he helped set me up with pads and everything.

The thing is with that meg's piece you still need pads and product.

http://www.showroomfx.com/Porter_Cab...p/sfxpc-10.htm

Thats a good price, has the main pieces you need without any bullcrap and you can then buy the polish you wanna use. I've had great results with this

http://www.showroomfx.com/Menzerna_S..._p/men-sip.htm

However I really want to try this http://www.showroomfx.com/Meguiars_M...und_p/m105.htm and the 205.. you can get the same stuff from autozone now, so unless you are going to be buying multiple things in bulk like more cleaner/pads and such in the future it might be cheaper for you to pick up some at autozone. If you decide to buy now, it won't matter since you'll come out about the same after shipping charges and such.

You ideally should pickup a few extra pads and some clay bars to go along with all this stuff though. If you are ever confused about the products on Showroom FX you can follow them on Facebook or call steve up.. he's a great dude.
    Last edited by Screamin_99; 05-23-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    1996 Camaro Base - Sold
    1995 Firebird - Sold
    1999 Firebird - Sold

Depends on what you are trying to do.. If you car has alot of fine scratches/swirlmarks etc, you dont need a cheap polisher. You need somthing like a Porter Cable as stated that can produce higher RPMs than that polisher combined with the right pads and product to make your car look like it came off the show room floor. I have a porter cable also and it does the trick nicely. I can remove just about any swirl mark/scratch in the paint that will not catch with my finger nail. The trick with more powerful buffers is to move/work at a steady pace because you can burn your clear coat if your not careful.
    Nick | Car Care Moderator
    2006 PBM GTO M6 w/ Red Leather 1 of 370

Yeah I have a black car with tons of swirls, looks like shit in the garage.

Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nzballer05 View Post
    The trick with more powerful buffers is to move/work at a steady pace because you can burn your clear coat if your not careful.
    You won't burn paint with a clutch-action DA like the porter cable, meguiar's or Griot's Garage model.

The Meguiar's polisher is made by Porter Cable and rebadged.

I'd get the PC XP and be done with it. Cheap and effective.
    Shawn
    '11 CTS-V Coupe
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

Full Throttle Extreme! 1970judge's Avatar
    ^^What Shawn said. I have the 7424xp, and haven't looked back. I got mine from what appears to be a former sponsor(tropi-care?). If he is not around anymore, try www.autodetailingsolutions.net and they usually have a polisher/pad special of some type.
    Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
    "First thing I'll do is call Comp and tell them to grind me a CC306 for the LS2"

You can easily spend $100 on pads and backing plates, so for $200 i'd get the one on chemical guys. I've had one for about 5 or so years now and I use it for everything. The meguiar's is probably their attempt at entering the same market so it's newer but I couldn't tell you if it's better. Having to buy yourself another $100 worth of stuff ontop of the $150 is not so nice though.

as mentioned in the thread right below yours, all you have to do is pick your polishes and a wax. M105 and M205 are good polishes and pick a wax like collinite 845 or poorboys EX. or theres probably about a hundred other options out there but my general rule of thumb is avoid anything that looks like it would be on a store shelf.
    Last edited by 00firebird; 05-24-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Phil - 2000 black a4 Firebird
    Lid / Amsoil EaA / Magnaflow 3'' Cat-back, !Cat, TSP tune
    SLP Bilstein/Eibach suspension 17x9.5 Privat Profils
    Performabuilt Level 2 4l60e / Amsoil ATF / Aluminum DS

It's really all about the pad and product you use on the Porter Cable. A Porter Cable with a Orange,White,Blue,Red,Black Pad are a must.

Orange should cut anything when combined with a good polish and the White will work down w/e the orange has left behind on you. The rest are basically finishing pads if my memory serves me well enough, I can't keep up with the pad color and what they are used for other than orange and white LOL
    1996 Camaro Base - Sold
    1995 Firebird - Sold
    1999 Firebird - Sold

Full Throttle Extreme! 1970judge's Avatar
    I have several orange pads on tap, blue, and white pads. If I am going all out, I use M105, M205, M05, and I have always preferred Gold Class as a wax. Shelf brand works as well (like the Gold Class I mentioned). Megs Ultimate Compound has done wonders for me since my first bottle, I always keep that on tap as well. I am a strict Meguiars user, both store bought and I keep a lot of their detailer/mirror glaze as well. As far out as I venture from Meguiars is a few metal polishes from different manufacturers.
    Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
    "First thing I'll do is call Comp and tell them to grind me a CC306 for the LS2"

Quote Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
    ^^What Shawn said. I have the 7424xp, and haven't looked back. I got mine from what appears to be a former sponsor(tropi-care?). If he is not around anymore, try www.autodetailingsolutions.net and they usually have a polisher/pad special of some type.
    I went to your link and they have the best deal with free shipping on the meg polisher with pads and polish and more! Thanks I'll update this after I finish my detailing thank all...

Well just finished with the kit and it's way awesome, but I still have a shit ton of tiny scratches? So what's the next step in removing those buggers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast