Thread: Firebird Side Molding Delete Write-up

Full Throttle

Firebird Side Molding Delete Write-up

Ok this is a quick write-up of the basic process of how to remove the molding on a 4th gen firebird, process is the same for camaros as far as I know.

First lets start with a few before pics,

OK, with that out of the way lets get started start with some wire, most people use fishing line, or dental floss, I didn't have either of those and wasn't about to buy any just for a small project and I found some wire that had a plastic coating so as to not risk scratching the paint (if the area is dirty wash it first of course) take the wire and do as this video shows also I would recommend where some good workers gloves as the why will dig into your hands, which is why I only did that small amount before just pulling it off by hand.

http://youtu.be/2zNm3i1fwlE

Once I got the molding started in the video above I then took the loose part of the molding and slowly pulled it off being careful not to kink or bend the molding incase it may one day need to be reused.

With the molding removed it will look like this,

Now we need to deal with the remaining tape, which can be done as described in this video:

http://youtu.be/_3wAsV4v5Xc

Another option, which I ended up doing to make it easier on my hands is to pressure wash the tape at close range "blasting" most of it off.

With the tape out of the way, mostly anyway you will now be left to deal with the remaining bits of tape and adhesive residue to deal with that get a can of this,

I picked mine up from my local Walmart after trying Goo Gone with no real results I decided to get some of this Goof Off, spray it on liberally let it soak in real good (don't let it "dry") if it starts "drying" just spray more on it, once it has soaked in good get a clean rag and start scrubbing up and down and left to right and the tape and residue will roll off onto the rag, repeat this till all residue is gone (took me about an hour, but I still had a lot of tape on the driver door)

When all the residue is gone wash with soap and water to clean off the Goof Off, if you have any small amounts you can try clay baring it, but you should be good with the Goof Off, I clayed simply because I had it laying around and rewax (I haven't done that yet but I have a Meguiars paint restoration kit coming next week).

when done should look like this,

Apparently, my passenger side has had some paint work done at some point, this line seen close up here is in the clear coat,

but its not very noticeable from a distance,

For those of you that will ask there is NO noticeable paint difference on the driver-side so that is what implies this line on the passenger is from body work done later hopefully the Meguiars kit will take care of it next weekend.

Oh and for the record all those dents and dings where in the car when I bought it, I will get around to fixing them once I have enough money to do all the body mods and a fresh paint job all at once.
    Last edited by Daniel644; 04-22-2012 at 02:41 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    I fixed the images for you so they would show up and edited out your question since the problem was corrected. Thank you for the write up and I look forward to the video, I went ahead and made this a stickie.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Phoenix View Post
    I fixed the images for you so they would so up and edited out your question since the problem was corrected. Thank you for the write up and I look forward to the video, I went ahead and made this a stickie.
    thank you, I'm still new to this site as you can probably tell, I'm at home now so the uploads should move quicker, I was using the wifi at a local restaurant to put the videos up and it was just super slow.

awesome write up. if your only buying the restoration kit for the clear coat imperfection you could just buy the "ultimate compound" instead of the wax, shampoo, towels and whatever else is with the kit.

Full Throttle
    I already got the kit, I needed something to get me over 25 bucks to get free shipping from amazon, but I have quite a few scratches all around the car so I wanted to do the whole car. Plus you need to rewax after using Goof Off so I really needed everything in the kit anyway.

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero2242 View Post
    NOT everyone has a HEAT GUN, my method works for ANYONE, truth be told if you can get it started you can pull the whole strip off by hand without using wire to "cut the tape" like I showed, using the wire to "cut the tape" actually saves you from damaging the moldings should you wish to resell them or put them back if you decide down the road you want them back.

The write up is good, However there needs to be a parts/products used and a disclaimer that reads in large bold letters, if you think or suspect your car has ever had paint/body work done you should be carefull and just pull off one of the smaller sections first to kinda verify.

Honestly some rubbing compound and wax would likely make that spot look good again.

It's best to use fishing line/dental floss. I think most people have one of those at home or at least I hope you have dental floss

Lighter fluid,goof off and goo gone works well for removing the left over adhesive, bug and tar remover will work as well.

When I did mine on my firebird I just pulled them off if you get it started you can pull down and away from the car and you don't even need floss anymore once you get it started!

And yes be sure to wash and wax the car afterward.
    2007 Acura TL Black on Black w/Navi
    1996 Camaro Base - Sold
    1995 Firebird - Sold
    1999 Firebird - Sold
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Sold

Full Throttle
    bumping my super old thread to add a piece of information, forget all about that goo-gone or whatever else I may have mentioned for getting rid of the tape that is on the door after removing the strips, what you want to get is something called a Rubber Eraser Wheel, you put it in a cordless drill and in next to no time flat all that crap is gone, no hours of fighting with sticky or gooey crap, couple of minutes with the eraser wheel and bam it's gone.