Thread: New uhhh everything? Input please!

Light Throttle

New uhhh everything? Input please!

Okay so here's the deal my car is OLD and has seen lots of Canadian winters, it makes power but man is the body ugly when you pop the hood, and the suspension has remained stock until now

To rectify this I have so far I have new(so far):

Pan Hard Bar
    Rear LCA (with relocation brackets)
    Track Pak
    Weld in SFC's
    Upper and lower tubular control arms (With new ball joints)
    New K member
    Rag Joint eliminator
    New outer Tie rods
    Complete set of QA1's
    BMR springs for the rear
    Poly Engine mounts
    Poly trans mount

I still need (I think):

Bump stops - Where do I get these?! Edit Bought from Strano for $27.95 for the pair EDIT AGAIN just got OEM units of ebay, Strano wanted $30 for shipping, and the Ebay OEM ones were $55 shipped

Sway bar end links or sway bars, I am at a loss for what is best for a street/strip car. EDIT! Just going to pick up some Moog end links for now

Wheel bearings, these are not bad, but I'm not sure when or if they have ever been changed. A piece of mind item, but they aren't cheap! Any input if aftermarket brands are any good?

Panhard Reloaction kit - I do not NEED this, as my exhaust dumps just before the rear. BUT is it a good idea to have? I mean there's only a rusty piece stamped steel that my sexy new PHB is going to be bolted to. These are pretty darn cheap on E-bay. Worth the $140 for the upgrade? (Includes shipping)

Anything I am missing?
    Last edited by Meemperor; 02-22-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    1997 3800 Firebird ----1996 Integrea GSR
    Cartuning Turbo kit --- Daily Driver

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle
    Why only rear springs? Ive got BMRS on all four and if I only did the rear my car would be lookin at the sky all day. if you dont mind the roll of the car through corners just get new sway bar links, but if youd like to minimize that roll, which most of us here do, id suggest getting sway bars too. Remember when buying sway bars bigger isnt always better, and hollow bars are different than solid. If a sway bar were say 30mm , a hollow one will flex more than a solid bar of the same size. I know BMR makes some drag sway bars that are rediculous in size, I wouldnt recommend these for normal driving use. They are simply too big. IDK but dose canada use salt on the snowy roads like here in NY? Just wondering if the underside is rusty as hell. if so you may want to think about doing the brake lines too, possibly upgrade to stainless steel braided lines in place of the rubber hoses. and sanding down the underside and putting like rhino lining underneath. but if your driving it in the winter Im not sure how firmed up suspension will be. It may cause the back end to get dangerously tail happy. I suppose it depends on the amount of snow you get. your choice really. Sorry for rambling on.

Light Throttle
    Thanks

Car is not driven in winter, and I plan on "restoring" the entire under body. It's got some surface rust on the bottom but nothing is soft (well I hope at least lol)

I have all 4 QA1's, but the fronts are coil overs and the rears are obviously just shocks.

I think I will go to a drag bar at some point but will probably just grab some end links for now. I'm not worried about cornering, this is a cruise around town and go fast in a straight line car.

I'ld just knock the rust off the UPHB and repaint it.

The v6 sway bar end links are weak sauce. The v8's had a poly type end link. Take off bars and end links would be a good budget solution. If not Advanced Auto sells whatever generic brand poly/mix end links pretty cheap.

Sounds like you have everything else pretty much figured out. Personally I could not stand the poly trans mount. But with a turbo your stock one is probably already destroyed.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
    I'ld just knock the rust off the UPHB and repaint it.

The v6 sway bar end links are weak sauce. The v8's had a poly type end link. Take off bars and end links would be a good budget solution. If not Advanced Auto sells whatever generic brand poly/mix end links pretty cheap.

Sounds like you have everything else pretty much figured out. Personally I could not stand the poly trans mount. But with a turbo your stock one is probably already destroyed.
    Lol you have no idea, went out to tune it and the shifter moved like 6 inches when we first got on it. Why couldn't you stand it?? I didn't even really notice a difference with mine. (Except that it stopped the tranny from moving lol)

I will probably just pick up a set of Moog end links for now then!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meemperor View Post
    Lol you have no idea, went out to tune it and the shifter moved like 6 inches when we first got on it. Why couldn't you stand it?? I didn't even really notice a difference with mine. (Except that it stopped the tranny from moving lol)

I will probably just pick up a set of Moog end links for now then!!
    cammed 5 spd.... It vibrated the whole freaking car at idle. I was lucky enough to find a 1le tranny mount. I have poly motor and trans mounts for my TA, but I've never gotten around to installing them. Trans mount would take like 15 min, but I've heard the motor mounts can be a b!tch.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon