Thread: slow 1-2 shift.

slow 1-2 shift.

ive got a 99 4t65eHD.
    the 1-2 shift is slow. with a lot of throttle it doesnt want to shift at all and it feels like being in 3rd gear in a manual, reaching for 4th and accidentally shifting into 2nd and letting out the clutch. theres that same... yank. the RPM's drop quite a bit when this happens, even at WOT.
    doesnt do it in any other gear and for the most part all other gears are quick, while downshifts are instantaneous.

i took the filter apart and ive got no metal bits and its pretty clean. theres no clutch mud/muck. i dont think its a clutch issue. im leaning towards a valvebody issue or a 1-2 shift solenoid issue.
    anyone familiar with these valve bodies? could it possibly be a 1-2 accumulator valve, a boost valve, or a pressure regulator valve.
    i had issues earlier in the year with a bad EPC solenoid. i think most of the damage was done when i went to long before replacing it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bumpity bump bump.

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    Well if you fix it once that way, then do that again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    First off there is no need to be a dick. We all have lives outside the forum and we can't all be here every second of every day.

whats your mod list?

What your describing sounds like when a 4t65ehd is starting to wear out and fail or a high horsepower and torque L67 shifting at full throttle with zero torque management. It will stay in gear to long and kind of hang for a second and then bang into 2nd gear. Eventually you will get shift time to long fault with it.

One way to combat this, and i do this in all my tunes anyways as the car is faster with a setup like this because the trans functions better. But when in performance mode you want to have a few percent of torque mangement at the shifts. It allows for a nice fast shift and helps your transaxle live longer even with a built transaxle. High hp and torque L67's are very prone to this with zero torque management. Basically your going to have 1-3 percent of torque a few hundred rpm leading up your shift.

If your transaxles is stock and your modded the transaxle will be needing some work in the near future as in a rebuild. If is a recent build with some upgrades and no torque management just add a little at the shift.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Hello i have a tranny shop in clarksburg wva i do many 4t65 they had a slow upshift in stock form but age and milage will make them worse i use a transgo shift kit and sonnax pressure regulator in all 4t65 rebuilds it makes them work very nice shifts are quick with out being harsh if u have any questions contact me 304 203 0183 josh my shops name is Prices Garage i have a facebook page for it also