Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the knock sensors located on a 3.8L?

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    I can't remember if it does or not, I don't think it will. Rather unhooking the battery resets the computer on codes.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Won't reset your tune, but should help clear the codes.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Quote Originally Posted by TMC2k1 View Post
    Ok, I did all that. I tried to go to Advance to get the code cleared, but apparently they no longer do that.

How long would it take for the SES light to go away?
    Yes they do. All Advance Auto Parts and Autozones have OBDII scan tools that can read and delete codes. Some guys are reluctant to do it just because they think you just want to get rid of the light instead of fixing the problem. The employee thinks they know better so they won't do as you ask and just delete the code. I use to work at an Advance Auto Parts, this it he mentality of 90% of the employees. Go back and ask if they have a scan tool. If they do then ask them to scan the code, while they're out outside with you explain that it's a knock sensor code, you fixed it and tell them to delete the code.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC2k1 View Post
    Unplugging the battery will remove a custom tune? I didn't know that. I had a small tune done a couple years ago by tpunk. I replaced my battery a few months ago when it died. So that custom tune is no longer there?
    The tune is flashed onto the PCM. The only way to get rid of the tune is to overwrite it with another one. PCM do not reset themselves to factory setting after you disconnect the battery. Disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time will reset your fuel trims and get rid of the SES light.
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

^ that isn't entirely true. The AZ and AA shops around here say legally they are not allowed to delete codes. They can scan them, but legally they cannot delete them any more because they are not certified shops.

Gummycharged Tapatalk
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Quote Originally Posted by skimphish View Post
    ^ that isn't entirely true. The AZ and AA shops around here say legally they are not allowed to delete codes. They can scan them, but legally they cannot delete them any more because they are not certified shops.

Gummycharged Tapatalk
    He's in Florida, I'm in Florida, you're in Florida. I actually worked at two different Advance Auto Parts, one in Tallahassee the other over here by Tampa. There was never anything corporate ever said about our ability to read or delete codes in Florida. A few emissions states do not allow scanners at all unless it's a certified shop which Advance complied in those emissions states. There must be some kind of local law governing the use of OBDII scan tools....if that's the case for you but I've never heard of it. Sounds like BS to me.
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

Thanks HeavyChevy3800, I was pretty positive that disconnecting the battery would just reset the SES light and as you said the fuel trims but I just couldn't remember specifically on anything else.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy3800 View Post
    He's in Florida, I'm in Florida, you're in Florida. I actually worked at two different Advance Auto Parts, one in Tallahassee the other over here by Tampa. There was never anything corporate ever said about our ability to read or delete codes in Florida. A few emissions states do not allow scanners at all unless it's a certified shop which Advance complied in those emissions states. There must be some kind of local law governing the use of OBDII scan tools....if that's the case for you but I've never heard of it. Sounds like BS to me.
    I originally thought it was BS too which is why I went to two different Advance Auto Parts. They said the same thing. No longer allowed to clear codes.

Hunting for 10's
    walmart and 45 dollars for a scan tool.
    97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

Full Throttle Extreme!
    So I have driven about 120 miles since this happened and the code is still there so something must have went wrong.

I am going to get extra wire this time around and try again. 12-14 AWG wire is the correct size for knock sensor wire?

Thanks guys!

It is probably 14-16, but I would rather go large than be too small when it comes to wiring.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Did you unhook the batt yet? If not give that a try. Also getting a cheap code reader from walmart or somewhere is not a bad idea.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Yeah, I unhooked the battery today and it cleared the SES lights like it is supposed to. I will see if it comes back after a few days. Otherwise, I will check the butt splice job in more detail.

I also picked up some 14 AWG wire in case I need to re-do the butt splice.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by TMC2k1; 01-10-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Full Throttle Extreme!
    One more quick question.

Can I still use the extra wire if the AWG is larger than the pre-existing wire? I bought 14 AWG. Just want to make sure I can still use it in case the knock sensor wire is 16-18 AWG. Otherwise, I will find out for sure and then return the 14 AWG and get the correct size.

Thanks guys!

As long as your wire is the same size or larger and can fit in the splice you won't have a problem.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle Extreme!
    My car has been hesitating and even misfiring under load (flashing SES) ever since I decided to solve this issue. It usually occurs at low rpms under load, but can happen on higher rpm's too. This doesn't happen at all if I drive it like a grandma. The SES light does not stick around and it eventually goes away (which is a pain because I would like to figure out what is causing it).

I never had these issues when the wire was cut completely! Why is it happening now that I attempted to fix the solution? I did some searching and found a dirty MAF sensor could cause it, but I cleaned it with some MAF cleaner. It looked fine, but I figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

Should I solder the knock sensor connection? I am still going back to the knock sensor causing this issue since I had no problems with this previously. Could the knock sensor cause misfiring under load as well as hesitation?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by TMC2k1; 01-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast