Thread: Autox today

Autox today

Went to autox today, had a ton of fun. We ended up getting in 8 runs, which was awesome. The course was a pretty fast course, had 2 slaloms, 1 that actually doubled on itself (do the slalom, get to the end, do a 180, do slalom again). The first one was probably 1/4 mile long (yes, a full 1/4 mile slalom), the 2nd/3rd was probably 1/8 mile one way.

What sucked was the fact that the track is on an Army air field that they use for helicopter landing practice, it consist of 4 run ways (all asphalt that is really slick) and a center section that is concrete. It was cold out, and you had about 5 minutes in between each 73-85 second run, so your tires were always cold, and once you hit the asphalt there was absolutely no grip. I ended up spinning out on one run, I know about 10 other people did the same, several just put the cars sideways. Kinda freaky to spin out doing 50-60mph and seeing you are about to take out 5 cones. lol.

I ended up running in the same class as a 95 Z28 that had Eibach springs and Bils and SFC's, and I ran the same time as him, 77 seconds. I think I was about the middle of the pack, but we will see when the results get posted tonight.

I attempted to take some videos, but even though I charged my camera all night the battery died mid-recording and didnt save anything.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    Bummer about no video, but you'll get it next time. That is nuts about the surface being that way, seems careless and foolish of them to have it ran on a surface like that.
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

Well the results came back, out of 38 cars I came in 34th. I thought my times were a lot closer to the rest of the pack. Looks like most of the runs were median for the runs were 73-74 seconds, I got 77.8xx. In my class (Streety modified) I came in 7th out of 7. BUT, I will say I by far had the least power and least amount of $$ in my car. There were 3 240sx's (all turbo'd and full suspension and gutted), a 05 GT that had a s/c on it and has a fully built suspension from head to toe, a 09 WRX that had an upgraded turbo, and a '10 Camaro that had a blower, full suspension, and was putting out 500-600 hp (and he put it down WELL). I was 1.6 seconds slower than one of the 240sx's and 3 seconds behind the '10 Camaro.

A little disappointed, but I think I know where my problems are. First, I have only done this twice now and Im still figuring out how to have tires set up. Second, I ran my old tires up front that were pretty worn down. Third, the open diff and 3.08's are killing me. Every turn I made I came out of with 1 tire spinning and the acceleration just wasnt there. The car handles amazingly, and several people complimented me on how it looked going around the course handling wise. I guess Im going to start looking at getting a new rear end, really thinking Ill just get a 3.42/posi rear and be done with it, maybe keep this stock rear and put 4.10's in it later for drag racing.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Looks like you've just discovered the fun of PAX scoring. Also, a lot of times the first run or two on the course are going to result in some spins or additional sliding, as the pavement is cold and so are your tires. Since this was only your second time out, I wouldn't worry about scoring and focus more on figuring out what techniques work best for you and the car. Like with drag racing, it's helpful to keep a small notebook and write down what changes you made for each run (tire pressure, shock adjustments, etc) and how that affected your times. With practice you'll find a good method for different types of courses and that should help to improve your times.

I'm curious about how that S10 stall affects your runs. Most of the cars I see at Autox are manuals or flappy paddle autos. Haven't seen too many stalled cars on the courses.
    Last edited by pace; 12-12-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Actually with PAX scoring I was in 35th, 34th was the Raw times. The first time I went I think I did better, I came in 35th out of 46 (raw times).

And Im not real sure how I like the stall on autox, I think it was the cause of all of my wheel spin (aside from having an open diff) b/c as soon as you got on the peddle the RPMs shoot up caused entirely too much wheel spin. I think w/ posi I would do better, though, but I think if I went w/ 3.73's it would be too much gear for autox and I would be sideways most of the time.

Here is a link to the raw times if anyone is interested. click

edit- and yes, that is a stock Nissan Versa placed a few spots above me. Apparently the guy usually drives another car and goes around the state racing, but decided he would show off his skills by driving a "reasonably priced car." lol
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

I'll be there next month. You may need a driver mod above anything. You have to go slower sometimes before going faster to find the cars limits and how best to hit the course.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

I actually went damn slow for the first few runs. I've always heard "slower means faster" when it comes to autox, so I made sure going into the hair-pin area that I would go in relatively slow and accelerate out, only problem was as soon as I started accelerating I had 1 tire burning up...

edit- I will say I would love to have someone more experienced drive my car around the track, then have them get in and give me instructions as we went. There was an older guy (65-70) there that usually has his Lotus and almost always takes first place, but he didnt have his car b/c it was being worked on. I talked to him for a bit while working the course and I almost asked him to ride with me to give me pointers, probably should have.
    Last edited by skimphish; 12-12-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

A lot of those guys get a kick out of riding in other cars for pointers. I've had a couple of guys hop in with me in the boat.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

There was a guy there who has a 240sx that he just dropped a LSx into, but he is still waiting for the new wiring harness, but he was riding with some people to take videos of their runs and gave pointers. He just never got down to my car :/
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    You learn more in one day at the track than one year on the road.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Cool...I've never done AutoX in the vette, only Road Courses.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out sometime though.
    Shawn
    '11 CTS-V Coupe
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

Was fed after midnight Rising_Phoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post
    Cool...I've never done AutoX in the vette, only Road Courses.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out sometime though.
    Just don't hit a curb sliding sideways. Ooohhh, too soon for 'vette owners?
    Bryce | non timebo mala

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.

Full Throttle
    thats cool dude but like everyone said dont worry about your times yet get your self dialed in to your car. but deff posi and you only spin alot with 3.73's over 3.42's when you dont know enough to not floor it
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears