Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Noob Question lol

Full Throttle

Another Noob Question lol

Since Im thinking about lowering my 2001 Camaro V6 and what not next spring, would I need the rear LCA re-location brackets or not? Ive talked to a couple people and they said I shouldnt worry about it since its a v6 and I prob dont have that much wheel hop to begin with. Also, if I would need the the re-location brackets, would they work just fine with the stock LCA or would I have to go aftermarket? Im just trying to get a list around of what all I need. Thanks
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6
    Silver Hockey Stripes, Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, Shaved Intake Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs & PHB, Nitto 555s, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Damn noobs

Go ahead and grab them since they're pretty good cheap insurance against wheel hop, that's one thing that'll kill those GM axles on ya. You'll be fine with stock LCAs, but it never hurts to upgrade. If you're not going to go with aftermarket LCAs I'd get some new Moog bushings for them.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Damn noobs

Go ahead and grab them since they're pretty good cheap insurance against wheel hop, that's one thing that'll kill those GM axles on ya. You'll be fine with stock LCAs, but it never hurts to upgrade. If you're not going to go with aftermarket LCAs I'd get some new Moog bushings for them.
    Haha I know right.
    I looked through all the FAQs and I figured I would need the LCA re-location brackets but I would just ask to make sure. If I get the brackets I might as well get some aftermarket LCAs as well.
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6
    Silver Hockey Stripes, Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, Shaved Intake Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs & PHB, Nitto 555s, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat.

Aftermarket parts never hurt lol
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Full Throttle
    Yea I just updated my "wish list" for this spring. Oh the $$$$
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

If you want to spend money and get aftermarket parts, then feel free to do so. But one thing to also keep in mind is that sometimes less is more. I don't have LCA relocation brackets and haven't noticed any wheel hop after lowering the car and installing new shocks. Moog bushings in the stock arms also helped, but didn't make as much if a difference as quality shocks.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by pace View Post
    If you want to spend money and get aftermarket parts, then feel free to do so. But one thing to also keep in mind is that sometimes less is more. I don't have LCA relocation brackets and haven't noticed any wheel hop after lowering the car and installing new shocks. Moog bushings in the stock arms also helped, but didn't make as much if a difference as quality shocks.
    True, I can always add those on later too
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

Full Throttle
    when ever you talk to someone that has a v8 they dont take the v6 seriously... a v6 will have just as much as a v8. get them they help off the line performance
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

Quote Originally Posted by BWKMARO View Post
    when ever you talk to someone that has a v8 they dont take the v6 seriously... a v6 will have just as much as a v8. get them they help off the line performance
    I have had both so I take both seriously. Loaded statement right there sir.

As far as wheel hop goes, I HAVE experienced plenty when I had bolt ons and stock LCAs. I had Holstein HD shocks too and even when I switched to QA1 I would still get wheel hop here and there. They are excellent insurance on keeping the ass end down. While you may not have the problem on the street, it becomes MUCH more apparent on a prepped track.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    ~Ryan

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by evilkal View Post
    I have had both so I take both seriously. Loaded statement right there sir.

As far as wheel hop goes, I HAVE experienced plenty when I had bolt ons and stock LCAs. I had Holstein HD shocks too and even when I switched to QA1 I would still get wheel hop here and there. They are excellent insurance on keeping the ass end down. While you may not have the problem on the street, it becomes MUCH more apparent on a prepped track.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Yeea i know what you mean. There seamed like a couple times when I went to Norwalk I could feel the right tire spinning off the line. I couldnt tell if it actually was or I was just thinking it was lol. Man I hate open differentials lol
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

Full Throttle
    thank you, you are among few. sorry if i sounded one sided
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

I'd stick with stock LCA's. The stockers with moog bushings are hard to beat. Relocation brackets are nice but there are much better places to spend your money. What are you wanting to do with the car?
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpunk View Post
    I'd stick with stock LCA's. The stockers with moog bushings are hard to beat. Relocation brackets are nice but there are much better places to spend your money. What are you wanting to do with the car?
    Just a weekend driver and taking it to the drag strip for points weekend
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

So this isn't your main car? If not then you can build it a bit more drag oriented than I would typically recommend. The cheapest mods that will make the biggest difference would be LCA's, shocks, a tunnel mounted torque arm, and better tires. Stick with stock springs for now as they are a pretty good starting point for a drag build. Moving your instant center further rearward with the torque arm will help a lot but you will need the other mods to put the power down and reduce risk of wheel hop. The problem with the tunnel mounted torque arm is that you can induce more wheel hop under heavy braking so take the car out to an empty parking lot and test it out so you know where the limit will be and how it will feel. The relocation brackets would help only marginally with stock springs compared to the other mods I listed. I'll send you a good shopping list in a PM.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpunk View Post
    So this isn't your main car? If not then you can build it a bit more drag oriented than I would typically recommend. The cheapest mods that will make the biggest difference would be LCA's, shocks, a tunnel mounted torque arm, and better tires. Stick with stock springs for now as they are a pretty good starting point for a drag build. Moving your instant center further rearward with the torque arm will help a lot but you will need the other mods to put the power down and reduce risk of wheel hop. The problem with the tunnel mounted torque arm is that you can induce more wheel hop under heavy braking so take the car out to an empty parking lot and test it out so you know where the limit will be and how it will feel. The relocation brackets would help only marginally with stock springs compared to the other mods I listed. I'll send you a good shopping list in a PM.
    Yea just a weekend car pretty much. I dont wanna do like a full blown drag set-up lol, i just wanna lower it and some better suspension stuff. Heres the list a compiled for spring hopefully.

2001 Camaro upgrades

Herron PerformanceSFC 2pt. 159.99 Free shipping

https://www.herronperformance.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=45

Herron Performance 3-PointSubframe Connectors- Bolt-In 299.99 Free Shipping

https://www.herronperformance.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=205

Herron PerformancePHR 114.39+ Free Shipping

https://www.herronperformance.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=268

BMR Lowering Springs, Set of 4, 1.25" Drop 249.95+25.18Shipping

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=291

93-02Bilstein HD Shock Package (Set of 4) 367.40

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/93-02-bilstein-hd-shock-package-set-of-4-/

Nitto NT-555 EXTREMEZR 182-370 275/40R17 98W$652 shipped per set

http://discounttires.com/product_detail.php?c=OTlkODJjMmZlZjdkZjMyMWRlMWIwZ jJlNTNlMTZjMWE=&prodID=6770&optionsArray=&packID=0 &maintainOptions=1

Optional

Herron PerformanceRear LCAs 109.99 + Free Shipping

https://www.herronperformance.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=48

Herron PerformanceRear LCAs Re-location Brackets 99.95 + Free Shipping

https://www.herronperformance.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=61

Herron PerformanceRear LCAs Bolt upgrade kit 18.99 + Free Shipping

https://www.herronperformance.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=51
    2001 Camaro 3.8 V6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast