Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WarShrike's T56 swap thread.

Anyone have the bolt sizes for the t5 bellhousing to the 98 3.8..i found a size but i just want to make sure 12mm diameter 1.75 thread pitch 45mm long with 30 thread? does that sound right?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by WarShrike View Post
    Alright so I guess I should put my user title as Captain Slow since it takes so long for me to finally accumulate parts and put things together. I'm draining tranny fluid tonight (you know, the stuff that helps with the couplings and banging and such?). Then I'm letting the automatic trans drain.

I've got a few things on my plate, probably gonna take a week to do it all, but MEH! I think I'll have this thread closed soon and open a part deux so it is cleaned up a little.

Ill second that! j/k.... looking forward to the outcome of this! I got a 9'' now I'm sure the input shaft of my T5 is next to be destroyed. If this works out for you it will be the next mod to my car for sure. update?

2002 Camaro V6 m5 - slightly modded - don't underestimate
    1994 Dodge Dakota m5 - 251 rwhp 9.1 @ 78mph 1/8
    2005 Dodge SRT-4 ACR - Wicked 4 banger
    2008 Yamaha R6 - few mods still slow
    1989 Yota mini truck - Daily Driver

I've only been updating the what did you do to your car today thread in general. Trans is out, gonna work on wiring tonight and getting everything else prepped. I've been busy with other things on the car as well.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Trans is bolted in, waiting on crossmember. Found a broken knock sensor (female connector wiggles around a lot), probably one reason why TSP had some odd KR when doing the dyno runs.

Wrestling that mofo in was a lot more enjoyable than the Auto.
    2000 Firebird

Are you going to summarize and do a possible write up afterwards so we can be bad ass too?

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..
    Much nicer, better, cleaner, and most importantly faster than the old one

I would like to point out that the 3.4 t5 bellhousing is a 3.8 t5 bellhousing flipped (or vice versa) as I have one of each in my garage right now. The starter on the 3.4 is on the left (looking from front) on the 3.8 - and on the right on the 3.4....i think. Either way that plate should work on a 3.4 if anyone with a 3.4 were ambitious enough to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR View Post
    Are you going to summarize and do a possible write up afterwards so we can be bad ass too?
    Nah, I'm keeping it a secret so everybody else has to go through the same pains as me.

Quote Originally Posted by WCFB-Russ
    I would like to point out that the 3.4 t5 bellhousing is a 3.8 t5 bellhousing flipped (or vice versa) as I have one of each in my garage right now. The starter on the 3.4 is on the left (looking from front) on the 3.8 - and on the right on the 3.4....i think. Either way that plate should work on a 3.4 if anyone with a 3.4 were ambitious enough to try it.
    I didn't know the bolt pattern was the same between a 3.4 and the 3.8. The issue with the mal-wood setup is it blocks off that spot where the starter is, even though that can easily be bypassed with the right tools.

This can also make for other interesting swaps off transmissions with LS bellhousings. Just wish somebody would make an SFI certified bellhousing instead that we could just bolt a T56 right on.
    Last edited by WarShrike; 08-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    2000 Firebird

I didn't know the bolt pattern was the same between a 3.4 and the 3.8.
    For those of you that are curious, check this out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...metric_pattern

The only difference between that pic and the one in the f-body is that the f-body version slants the transmission to position the shifter a little closer to the driver in 1st gear (I'm not going to even pretend to know why they do that - I just know they do that..probably something to do with quick shifting, if you know why, I'd love to know ) - a lot of engines (as you can see listed in the link) use the bellhousing pattern that the 3.4 and 3.8 use.

3.4 Bellhousing
    3.8 Bellhousing

The 93-95 3.4 use a hydraulic clutch system with a std. steel fork and throwout bearing, the 3.8 uses a fully hydraulic throwout bearing.

The issue with the mal-wood setup is it blocks off that spot where the starter is, even though that can easily be bypassed with the right tools.
    The plate in the picture has the starter hole on the proper side for a 3.4L (1993-1995) motor. The 3.4 (3400) that came in later years is on the same side as the 3.8, and would require any modification you made to it..

Just wish somebody would make an SFI certified bellhousing instead that we could just bolt a T56 right on.
    I agree - would be nice not to have to use adapter plates.

Nah, I'm keeping it a secret so everybody else has to go through the same pains as me.
    You bastard! Lol jk

98 Maro
    5spd, Slp lid, Free ram air, Pacesetters, !egr, Slowmaster Cat-back, Founders Lcas, Founders relo brackets, 32mm front sway bar, 19mm rear sway bar, poly trans mount..
    Much nicer, better, cleaner, and most importantly faster than the old one

Progress is being made, I'm a wiring newb so some things like wiring in the reverse lockout solenoid has been a challenge. I'm wiring it into the brake as I didn't feel like trying to figure out the rats nest of the pcm pinouts and couldn't get anything reliable off the old auto pigtail. I've run a grommet through the trans tunnel so I can run my wires cleanly through there and under the console and dash. I'm excited to get things finished and they look to be getting really close.

Especially after this:

I had to modify my T-56 crossmember. It takes a lot of balls/faith/stupidity to modify a brand spanking new crossmember for 1/2" of clearance needed because of the spacer. With a stock crossmember, there's probably enough tolerances in the manufacturing process that you might be able to bolt it up lol! Took it to a welder that used to work for the USAF, damned good guy, has a nice little piece of stainless steel welded to aluminum to showcase some of his work. Got extensions welded on, then had to go to a friend's place that had a drill press and a bridge port mill that had enough reach to work over the plate.

Took it home, test fit (LIKE A GLOVE! MEH MEH MEH!) and now the paint is drying.

I'll try and post here and there, and a writeup will follow at some point after the car is on the road.
    2000 Firebird

Yay progress

Stainless welded to aluminum? That guy is beyond a good welder.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

^no kidding.

Im so jelly of this swap.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Contributing Sponsor
    It had to be braised. You cannot physically weld aluminum to steel, steel to copper etc etc.

^Good point, either way, he's a guy that worked for the USAF at the base. Did a lot of cool stuff especially with Titanium.
    2000 Firebird

Re: WarShrike's T56 swap thread.

Brazing yes, I forgot about that. I knew copper doesn't mix with steel. But I thought I've heard of aluminum and steel being welded together somewhere....
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast