Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: WarShrike's T56 swap thread.

WarShrike's T56 swap thread.

Okay, I'm gonna start posting stuff up in this thread as things go forward with the swap.

I've contacted Mal Wood, a company in Australia that has an adapter that works with the V6 block and mounts to the T56 bellhousing. None of this mix and match stuff. They have problems keeping their adapters on the shelves, apparently they are doing good enough on the product overseas.

I got an e-mail from Paul at Mal Wood on the projected cost:
    Engine Plate - $335
    Frieght - $130
    Total: $465

I bought my T56 for $700 so this is not going to be much of an issue for me at the time as I'm still below what most will have to pay on a T56. I'm ordering the plate and hopefully it will be in soon enough.

I still have to get a good clutch/flywheel combo to work with this and offer me a little room to grow power-wise.

Paul said that the GTO T56 that I have should have the right length input shaft and I won't have to run a longer shaft like the Viper setups.

Here is Mal Wood's setup:

Parts left to purchase:
    Hydraulic Slave
    Clutch/Flywheel kit
    Not sure how thick the plate is, so I might not have to shorten the driveshaft.
    Misc work/fabrication that I won't know about until I'm under the car.
    Last edited by WarShrike; 11-28-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like the plate is ~1/2" thick.

But those prices really arent bad at all! Hell if I were in the market for doing a swap Id grab one of those plates.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

What's your projected cost at the moment on this? and how whats your thoughts on a completion time? I may be out my tranny, so I'm considering this swap myself if it isn't filled with nothing but headaches lol.

Are you still ok to use the T5 clutch? or was there something special that had to be ordered (Im a little confused from the lat thread)

Light Throttle SixShooter'00Camaro's Avatar
    Why a T56? I thought the money to took to make one work in our cars was pointless?
    The DD, 1999 Camaro Y87 Package, stock except C5 Wagon wheels, 5% Tint, Air silencer delete and Dynomax catback.
    Project, 2000 Camaro |3:42's|Auburn Posi|UMI LCAs|UMI PHB|Pacesetters|X-Pipe True Duals|B&M Ripper Short Throw|Intake mods|C5 Z06 Wheels|Powerdyne build forever in progress.|

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    His cost is really low and cheaper than a T56 to put in my Ls1 right now.
    The expensive part is the trans.

Adn I can't wait to see this done.
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by LETZRIDE View Post
    What's your projected cost at the moment on this? and how whats your thoughts on a completion time?

Are you still ok to use the T5 clutch? or was there something special that had to be ordered (Im a little confused from the lat thread)
    Projected cost will be somewhere around $2K but that's because I have an automatic and have to get a lot of miscellaneous items including the interior trim piece. Granted I can offset some of that cost by selling the trans/stall setup later. I'll be sure to total up everything so people will see what to expect financially.

I had to buy the pedals, and a few other items. I didn't skimp and bought a Tick Performance Master Cylinder and an MGW Shifter. I want this to be a smoothe shifting setup and offer me the enjoyment that I want.

The input shaft is the same spline count as the T5. I believe we will be able to use the T5 clutch assembly without any issues. Only thing I think might be needed is a spacer on the slave to get it to engage right, but we'll see when we get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
    Why a T56? I thought the money to took to make one work in our cars was pointless?
    Why? Because nobody else in the community is pushing to do it or find a viable option. We have two people (only one is active) in this forum that we know has a T56 swapped car. I have plans on bringing this car to the next level later on and I'm just building the foundation for it. It isn't exactly pointless. I'm even running 3.42's so that will help me out a little bit more. I really want to see what this car dynos when I have the manual trans in it.
    2000 Firebird

^ this is exactly why Im interested, as if I do this I would be moving from an auto as well...

Full Throttle Extreme! 96firephoenix's Avatar
    Indianapolis, IN/Steubenville, OH for school
    this is relevant to my interests. I would have considered this route when I manual-swapped mine except that I already had a t-5 and didn't feel like having 2 transmissions rolling around in my dad's garage.

Glad to see you're going through with the manual swap, PM me if you need help.
    A.J.
    1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, Stock-Ish, T-5 conversion "The Phoenix" RIP 3-31-11
    Lives on: Engine and Trans are in:
    1996 Firebird 3800 Series 2, T-5. Factory retrofits: CD player with steering wheel controls, power driver's seat.

The other benefit to this swap that's a no brainer to me is that a built T-5 will cost like $2K anyways? If you're already manual then some of the initial cost is offset from coming from an auto so a T56 swap might be cheaper than a built T-5 right off the bat. T56s are pretty damn stout as is. A local guy with a turbo'd TA is running 10s I believe on the stock tyranny.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

And arent the gear ratio's better in the T56? And having an extra gear for cruising would be nice.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Mine is the M12 T56 out of the GTO as well so the gear ratios will work even better in my favor.
    F-body: 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .74 .51
    GTO: 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .84 .57

Not sure on the T5 ratios.
    Last edited by WarShrike; 11-15-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    2000 Firebird

I've got a g-force T5 still for sale, just sayin'

The thing that pushed me out of the T56 swap was the shipping and the fact that it seems almost impossible to even buy one. Can't understand how it's so hard to keep a piece of water-jet cut steel on the shelf, if they're selling that crazy then make a bunch and stock up. That kinda fell through so I was waiting to see how the new bell housing adapter would work, but I just kinda lost patience and did the auto swap, needed some strength this year, not 2013, lol. I'd still like one, a friend of mine builds some pretty impressive T56's.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    Maybe someone can use that as a template and make them over here.
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Maybe... but it would have to be different enough to avoid legal issues. I know mr. 60*inc has the technology, but the legal issue of selling a copy of a product for profit is something that'll come up.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

If there's no patent on the plate than you could essentially make copies legally couldn't you?
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast