Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clunking from rear

Clunking from rear

Alright, I've had this for a little while now and I'm getting sick of it.

During low speed turns, like in a parking lot, the rear will "clunk." Under throttle it is fine, but every so often the low speed turns make it go "clunk clunk clunk clunk." The diff also looks like it is oily in the center section now. I did a diff fluid change when I got this rear end, had the clunking problem and did another fluid change, it stopped for a while, and now it is back. Each diff fluid change I used the posi additive. Larry suggested checking the diff fluid level, and it is slightly low, but nothing huge. Should be in line with the little hole, and I would say it is 1 cm lower than that. She's fine in straight lines, still spins both tires, and makes no other ruckus.

So suggestions? When I did the fluid change last time I put 75w-90, should I try 85w-140?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Torsen diff?
    --Daniel
    2000 v6 Camaro A4

Auburn, i saw a lot of threads on tech about torsens doing this, but none about auburns.

Also, all suspension components are tight/aftermarket except torque arm
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Re: Clunking from rear

Is it only when you do the fluid changes? I'm pretty sure I've heard about rear noise within the time period youre not supposed to beat on the rear after the fluid change.

dont ask
    Based on your description:

Jack the car up at the pumpkin just high enough to get the tires off the ground
    this will keep the suspension loaded.
    Push and pull (in and out) on each tire.
    This will chech the end play and help let you know if the C clips are shot (among other things)

If its a high mileage rear your rear may need to be serviced and reset
    (C clips, bearings, reshimmed, etc)

You can also pull the cover and pry the carrier each way (left and right) to see if there is any movement.
    It doesn't take much
    Noise from the rear oscillates throughout the entire car.
    Dan

^actually just got done doing all of that, so I'm prepared with answers.

Popped the cover off, nothing looked unusual. No movement of anything in/out or side to side. The guy told me that the rear end had under 100k on it and I have put maybe 8k on it since I installed it. The only thing I saw was that I was about 150ml low on fluid, and I think that had leaked out due to the gasket surfaces not being 100% smooth. Now the gasket surfaces are completely smooth and I filled it with non-synthetic Castrol 85w-140 and posi additive.

I remember last times I did the fluid changes I used synthetic gear oil, after reading on tech I found out that the Auburn rear ends dont really like synthetic because it can make the surfaces too slick and make the clutches slip. Could this have been causing my problems? I guess I will see over the next few days if the new non-synthetic fluid has stopped the noise.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Mine did that in a straight line and it turned out to be a worn out auburn posi. One cone was reamed out and would clunk when it moved around in the case. Of course the axle is plugged into the cone so it was clunking over bumps or light turns from axle input.

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar

Clunking from rear

You should add 2 things of the posi additive and go to a big ass parking lot and do a bunch of figure 8s, so drain a little out and add another thing of the additive.

Sent from an iPhone...sorry
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

Thought it was only 1 thing of additive?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle Extreme! xxBatmobilexx's Avatar
    Mine did that when it needed new bearings/gaskets etc. It only happened when turning one direction (which direction i cant recall)
    2005 Acura RSX - Stock
    2000 Firebird - Borla Pro XS 2.5in Catback, Magnaflow High Flow Cat , Whisper Lid, 3:42 Tuned by PCMforLess. Sold.
    -Kyle-

Yeah it might be as simple as not enough additive. Does it do it worse when the rearend is hot?

Stromberger Performance

98 camaro V6 turbo

^yes it does
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Yep probably needs additive. The problem is once it gets slippery enough to be quiet, the tiny auburn doesnt posi very well. Not much you can do about it.

Stromberger Performance

98 camaro V6 turbo

i had the same problem with my old firebird.it had auburn posi also.when i changed the fluid with non synthetic it stopped after a while.and definitely use the additive..i don't remember how much i used in mine..

Figured I would update this: After driving around for a week with the 85w-140/additive there has been no clunking or anything so far. The rear also seems to perform better, as in the posi reacting faster. If that makes sense. lol
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast