Thread: intercooling m90 swap

Full Throttle

intercooling m90 swap

so ive been working on a new idea and now i am starting to put it into motion. i recently got a extra m90 cut it up a little to make a intake pipe off the side and had the deck milled 1/8" also had the Lim milled 1/8" then i had the top of the m90 milled 3/16 along with the vacuum hub moved to the tb adapter. so i gained 7/16" under the cowl which gives me enough room for a short stack intercooler now. i have the k-member spaced already 1/4". i havent bought a intercooler yet but when the money is right....

what size pulley you guys think ill be able to run with the intercooler i have a 3.5 now with 18* of timing no kr. but my current m90 is whooped the case and rotors are garbage
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    with a good intercooler depending on supporting mods pretty damn small. If your sig is still accurate a 2.8 should be no problem with a full size intercooler maybe even a 2.7. With a vs though i wouldn't go to much smaller then that.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Constantly Overachieving Merlin's Avatar
    From a stock standpoint, there should be enough room for an SS intercooler in the first place.

The problem is that there isn't enough reduction in intake temperatures for the SS to be worth the trouble. ZZp advertises (or use to advertise) the SS as an intercooler that will either eliminate existing KR or allow you to drop a pulley size.

What you really need to figure out is how to squeeze a full size sucker in there. Grimm had a K-member made for his firebird that had an inch drop in it. Take your inch that you have gained and the extra space that I had, you would have barely enough room to squeeze one in.

If I still had my car, this is what I would do.
    Justin

GMC Sierra 2008
    Yamaha V-Star 1100 2003

For more information about the L67 swap into an F-body, please click here

Full Throttle
    ^so realistically a short stack isnt gunna help me enough to make it worth it? and no matter what i did i dont think i could pull off 2.25 inches thats to much
    built bottom end,m90 super charged, built top end, vs cam,truck maf, 3.25" pulley( 11psi all the way), build tranny, 3.42 posi, lca, lca relocation brackets,adj phb,poly bushings, v8 rack, konis, bmr springs, sub frame connectors, true dual exhaust over the axle with a borla pro xs , zo6 vette rims 17x9.5 f 18x11 rears

K-member w/ 1" of spacers, 1" drop of the engine built into that k-member, then 7/16" from the milling you had done.

am i doing it right?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    yes but when you lower your motor on the k-member that moves the oil pan down another 1 making it the lowest thing on the car.... i have lots o pot holes my roads suck

This is very true.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Full Throttle
    yea it makes me nervous lol i could make a oil pan from a stock one that is shorter but still holds 5 quarts but im not looking for trouble just yet i just dont have the money for a k-member, intercooler, oil pan and the rest of the odds and ends.

but is the short stack worth it or not because i can actually put that on right now...

It wouldn't be a major change on it's own but it may work out if you try a killer chiller on it. A friend of mine put the chiller on his lightning and it resulted in major drops in intake charge temps. Worth a look anyway.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle
    i dont have a/c anymore which sucks now i really need to get a new radiator because i cant seem to get the car to run cooler than 190 i think thats half my prob
    Last edited by BWKMARO; 11-17-2011 at 11:00 PM.

did you get rid of it to make the build work or just to free up a bit more power? Yeah, I'd start with the radiator first. If you have the money go ahead and get a bigger one. Try doing a flush before you spend the money though.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Full Throttle
    its deff not a flush lol. and im gunna have to save for a bigger one. also my coil packs are in the place of the a/c compresser. so i could put it back in but id have to replace ... everything.. IMO not worth it

Full Throttle Extreme! xxBatmobilexx's Avatar
    Have you set your fans to turn on earlier?
    2005 Acura RSX - Stock
    2000 Firebird - Borla Pro XS 2.5in Catback, Magnaflow High Flow Cat , Whisper Lid, 3:42 Tuned by PCMforLess. Sold.
    -Kyle-

Full Throttle
    yea its not that

Full Throttle
    got a radiator today though gunna put it in ill let you guys kno its a 1.5 inch core