Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub amp question

Sub amp question

Hi all, I am getting 2 12' subs, they are 800 watt each for a total of 1600, so would I need a 1600 watt 2 channel amp? also, I'm not sure which kind of wires I will need for this, I am leaving the stock speakers alone, I'm just adding the 2 subs and an amp. thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What subs are they? A lot of companies label subs as "800w," but they're listing a max power rating, not RMS. If they'r 800w max then they're probably somewhere around 400w RMS.

A 1600w amp will need 0awg wire from the battery to the amp and then the same for the ground. 12awg is fine for the speaker wire. A 600-800w amp will need a 4awg power wire and you'll be fine with 16awg or 12awg speaker wire.

If you could post the specific subs you're getting I could tell you more.
    Garage Pet :: '02 SOM WS-6 T/A: intake, Hooker headers, 3.5" cat-back with dual cutouts, skip shift elem. 345 rwhp, <40K miles
    My Daily :: '11 F-150 FX4 SCREW in Sterling Grey: Ecoboost, 20" FX4 rims, N-Fab Step bars, stock Nav and Sync, all of the other stock goodies

Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet, one cannot give that which has not been created...The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary.

It says 200W rms so 2x200w rms amp should be fine , dont look at the max power rating , continous amp rating is moer important I believe ..
    Jim - 98'Firebird Vert.

Koni 4/3 - Strano 35/22 - SFC - 19" Luff M1 Wheels - Pacesetter Headers - True Duals - 234 Cam - 3800 Stall - D&S Rotors & SS Brake Lines - SLP LS1 Lid - Detroit Truetrac & 4.10's - AL.D/S - PCMforless Tune +HPtuners - Taylor 8.2 Spiro Pro- HD2 Shift kit - |||| -- ---- .
    www.fquick.com/98vertFirebird --- www.youtube.com/dt262

what is rms?

the nominal power rating . the max rating is the power the speakers reach for a moment , rms is the continous power they make ..
    Jim - 98'Firebird Vert.

Koni 4/3 - Strano 35/22 - SFC - 19" Luff M1 Wheels - Pacesetter Headers - True Duals - 234 Cam - 3800 Stall - D&S Rotors & SS Brake Lines - SLP LS1 Lid - Detroit Truetrac & 4.10's - AL.D/S - PCMforless Tune +HPtuners - Taylor 8.2 Spiro Pro- HD2 Shift kit - |||| -- ---- .

so to run 2 of these 12' inch subs what kind of amp do you think I should use?

Im not sure since the subs you want to get are 8 ohm`s normally a 2 channel amp with a power rating of 2x200w would do ..
    If you dont have the subs yet , why dont you look at sub-amp packages instead ?
    Jim - 98'Firebird Vert.

If you haven't ordered them yet, I would look at another set of drivers. Those are 8 ohm subs, which limits your amp selection a bit. Basically, when you double the resistance on the amp you cut the power in half. Most car audio amps are rated at 4 ohms and then 2 ohms. An amp that makes 400w at 4 ohms will make roughly 200w at 8 ohms. To you that means you'd have to find a 400w 2 channel amp to run those subs at 200w per sub. You could also find a 2 channel amp that produces 400w with the 2 channels bridged at 4 ohms and use the subs you've selected. There's a good tutorial on ohms and parallel/series wiring that you should take a look at. Those subs aren't bad, but it is likely you could find a cheaper amp to drive the same model with a 4 ohm voice coil due to the.

Long story short, you need an amp that makes 400w at 4 ohms over 2 channels, a mono 400w amp at 4 ohms or a 2 channel amp that can be bridged and make 400w at 4 ohms.

If you get the same subs with 4 ohm voice coils you can get a 200w x2 amp @4ohms, a mono 400w amp at 2 ohms or a 2 channel bridged amp that makes 400w @2ohms. There are other coil combinations that will give different results, but they all reduce amp output, so I didn't discuss them. The 4ohm sub option may save you some cash on an amp, that's why I threw that out there.
    Garage Pet :: '02 SOM WS-6 T/A: intake, Hooker headers, 3.5" cat-back with dual cutouts, skip shift elem. 345 rwhp, <40K miles
    My Daily :: '11 F-150 FX4 SCREW in Sterling Grey: Ecoboost, 20" FX4 rims, N-Fab Step bars, stock Nav and Sync, all of the other stock goodies

Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet, one cannot give that which has not been created...The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary.

I've actually already ordered these

by the way, since I got these at a good price, I won't mind spending a few extra bucks on an amp if I have to

Contributing Sponsor
    You're definitely gonna need twice the power you originally though, since they are 8ohm speakers...

Then these are your options:

Long story short, you need an amp that makes 400w at 4 ohms over 2 channels, a mono 400w amp at 4 ohms or a 2 channel amp that can be bridged and make 400w at 4 ohms.
    You should be able to find an amp that does that, just look for RMS ratings not MAX. Max power is what an amp can make or a speaker can take just before it blows. It's not a real world, usable number. RMS is key. Shop known names and beware of too good to be true prices. Often they are.

on amazon they have some great deals though

so just to b totally clear, I would need a 400w x2 amp that is 2 channel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast