Thread: Summer 2011 Project Thread! Lotsa pics/Detailing thread

Summer 2011 Project Thread! Lotsa pics/Detailing thread

So the beginning of the summer I sold my white Grand Am GT for a good profit. So I had some money to throw around lol. So I was on the prowl, looking up craigslist listings day and night. Happened upon a 97 z28 that looked really clean in the pics, had compression issues, listed for 2000. Figured it would be worth a look.

Day I looked at it:

Guy told me the issues and everything he'd went through with his mechanic and why he was selling it. (Mechanic was shotty and took him for what he was worth). Told him I could do 1400 since I didn't know what the cause of the problems were and it was a big gamble. He bit. Came back a week later and picked it up on the tow dolly. (3 hour drive)

So got it home and decided to look past the honeymoon stage and see how much work it needed. Figured out the engine the mechanic put in was probably a caprice/impala engine (iron head). Decided that wouldn't fly and found a nice LT1 about 3 hours away. Here's a few before pics of the awesome paint that I had to restore.

Few scratches like this around the car:

Tons of fisheyes, tons of orange peel and random runs from a not-so-great re-spray (look within wetsanded area):

Decided the best way to tackle this sombitch was to wetsand the whole thing, 2000 grit and get it to not be so textured and leave a near-flawless finish.

Yea, that scared me some. Took my first pass with what I had before a detailing purchase was made. This was my result after 1 pass of Yellow and megs 105:

Took wetsand haze out but still needed about 25 hours of buffing. But I pulled it off . This would be the result of 3m rubbing compound at 25 a bottle and the purple kompressor pad on my PC. Then another pass with 105 and Green/Yellow pads. Then a pass with orange and 205 and white 205. Then a coat of megs wax applied with my black pad at speed 2.

And can't forget about the mechanical restoration. Fresh engine from a 97 z with only 61k on it. Picked it up very complete for 1 grand even. Dropped it in, replaced the clutch, got a new bellhousing, fixed the stock exhaust that had been welded with large gaps at the flanges, and got a great runner that shines like never before.

CLIFFNOTES
    If thread was tl;dr, I bought a 97 z28, wetsanded the shit out of it, literally, and dropped a new engine in, and got a real nice car out of it. Oh and can't forget, it's for sale locally for 6 grand, had a few interested, looking for about 5000 realistically.

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is impressive. But dang that was a chit load of work.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

Took from the first day of July until I finished the final detailing touches the very end of August of early September. Yeah, it was a lot of work, and honestly dropping the engine in was one of the easiest parts at only 2-3 hours of work haha.

And thank you! I like seeing the reactions of before and after on this detail specifically, seemed as if all hope was gone after the first few stages of wetsanding.

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

Nice. Looks way better.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Damn dude. Wanna come detail my car? lol. That is pretty damn impressive work, congrats on getting it all done. And even more so getting it done yourself and not having to pay someone to do it.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

haha thanks guys. I was impressed with how well it came out. I'd like to say it was my skill but I think anyone can do it with enough patience!

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

Great job. Glad you could bring the paint and the car back to life. Night and day diffrence.
    Nick | Car Care Moderator
    2006 PBM GTO M6 w/ Red Leather 1 of 370

It really is! Thanks!!

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

After getting it registered and insured I could finally drive the thing a decent distance. First real drive yielded a multiple misfire code, and a hell of a stumble from 2200-3000 RPM. It ran fine out of that range. NGK plugs and some new wires were installed and it runs great! Also put on my old wheels, c5 machined face and black vent 17 front 18 rear, and it makes it look so much better! Pics to come with those wheels later this week.

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    How often are you cleaning those lc kompressor pads and how are you cleaning them. I just bought some of these and was wondering about that aspect of them. Heard a lot of good about them.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Probably not the best/recommended way, but I just take it to the laundry sink and put a heavy stream over it and run it till its clean. Kinda running my fingers through the pad and squeezing/bending to get the stuff out. They do some good work for sure. Very aggressive with the purple pad, which is what I needed.

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

New photo showing the wheels on it. Not a great photo, just wanted something to show to potential buyers.

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

Well guys looks like my work and patience paid off. New owner and I settled on $5900!!! It helps being 19 and knowing a bunch of kids that have rich parents I guess lol.

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~

Sounds like a decent profit
    Nick | Car Care Moderator
    2006 PBM GTO M6 w/ Red Leather 1 of 370

Close to double the investment I think. It's going to be saved and some thrown at the ls1

98 Z28 m6
    ~Zac~