Thread: Tranny In Limp Mode, what can be the cause?

Tranny In Limp Mode, what can be the cause?

I have a '98 Lumina that went into limp mode. I noticed when trying to force a first gear downshift from second to pass someone that the car would not apply first immediately. Second released and it would go into a neutral zone and rev freely. I had a 99 that did this a few years back and never found out what happened because shortly after it started the car got totaled. I do still have that tranny though. I know from the last car that if you keep your foot in it that it will go into first, but basically doing a neutral drop, so I avoided it the 6 or 7 times the car did it to me before it went into limp mode. Apparently no one else has ever had this problem.

Anyway, I left work about three weeks after the problem started. I pulled out of the lot driving normal, and it flared/slipped badly on the 1-2 shift. I noticed that the SES light immediately came on. I get to the next light, and its in limp mode.

I have four codes.

P0740 TCC solenoid circuit open
    P0753 Shift Solenoid A electrical
    P0758 Shift Solenoid B electrical
    P1860 TCC clutch pulse width modulation solenoid circuit

Any ideas? Im not sure if it went into limp mode due to an electrical problem or if it is a mechanical problem stemming from my issues on the 2-1 downshift that started a month earlier.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    well those are valve body related fault codes. Truthfully though is sounds like it needs a rebuild due to lack of friction material remaining in the clutch packs. as a result it is neutraling out and then slamming back into gear. Truthfully there are a lot of things that cause situations like this. Ultimately i would plan on a rebuild.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Its probably toast. I assume you checked the fluid level as that would probably blow all those codes too if it was cavitating. Usually when they fail, they go into default with extrtemely harsh shifts as it pegs line pressure for self preservation.

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.