+ Reply to Thread

high idle on 1994 v6 firebird

ok so my buddy picked up a 1994 firebird 3.4L v6 (barely running) and was dropped off at my house for me to fix it. anyways the guy said that there was a gasket leak on the intake manifold so it ran really rough. Befoure i would tear that appart i did a full tune up. i ran compression check and everything. i changed the spark plugs and the wires and cleaned the throttle body and changed fluids and the cleaned the sensors. and found a vacum leak on the pcv pipe on the valve cover. i fixed that and when i started it it ran smooth. great! so that defeated the bullshit gasket leak. but now it idles pretty high. i checked the (TPS) and it was fine. then i was told to change the cam sensor and dont really think thats the reason? any ideas of why it idles so high? i need help fast!!
    Last edited by turbov6slowmaro; 05-10-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Rice is DINNER!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gonna eat me some peaches Driver_10's Avatar
    Try removing and cleaning the IAC valve, that may help.
    Gonna be quiet again for a little while, so show some patience. It will be worth the wait.
    ...I promise you

Cleaning the IAC may do the trick. Another thing to try is to reset the TPS by turning the car to on but not starting it and pressing the gas to the floor 5 times. Fixed my idle problem when I rebuilt my camaro.
    www.fquick.com/socom

Cars Currently in the garage:
    • 1993 Camaro V6
    • 1969 Z/28 Camaro
    • 1996 Impala SS
    • RIP 2004 Silverado

Gonna eat me some peaches Driver_10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Socom View Post
    Cleaning the IAC may do the trick. Another thing to try is to reset the TPS by turning the car to on but not starting it and pressing the gas to the floor 5 times. Fixed my idle problem when I rebuilt my camaro.
    Never knew about that trick. Hmmm Ya learn something new everyday around here.
    Gonna be quiet again for a little while, so show some patience. It will be worth the wait.
    ...I promise you

tried that, mine wont idle all the time, everyonce in a while it will decide to idle around 700-800 rpm. any other suggestions

oh yeah, whats the best way to clean the iac sensor?
    Last edited by devilsalmostfree; 05-19-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    -Carl

1995 Camaro, 3.4, 5 spd

Quote Originally Posted by devilsalmostfree View Post
    tried that, mine wont idle all the time, everyonce in a while it will decide to idle around 700-800 rpm. any other suggestions

oh yeah, whats the best way to clean the iac sensor?
    I usually just take it out and spray it down real well with brake parts cleaner.. also spray in the hole where it goes.

Vacuum leaks also cause high idle, start by checking the vacuum lines, as well as around the throttle body and whatnot and see if you can find anywhere air could be getting in.
    '94 z28 - !AC, !A.I.R., 98+ Front Brake Swap, !Clutch
    -PB: 14.3@100

'95 Saturn SL - Rice!

Quote Originally Posted by will.i.am View Post
    I usually just take it out and spray it down real well with brake parts cleaner.. also spray in the hole where it goes.

Vacuum leaks also cause high idle, start by checking the vacuum lines, as well as around the throttle body and whatnot and see if you can find anywhere air could be getting in.
    cool, thanks man!
    -Carl

1995 Camaro, 3.4, 5 spd

+ Reply to Thread