Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new black rims

Need new black rims

The wing is on, now I can start getting to the rest of the appearance mods...

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...426#post954426

I am looking for some decent powder coated black aluminum wheels that are also lightweight in nature. They have to fit my upgraded tires which are 245-50-R16, I believe the stock tires are 235s. I am not interested in lowering the car or getting low profile tires, and this is my daily (weekend) driver. My budget is about $400, but I live on the low side of cheapness

Anybody got any good suggestions? I am open for used wheels in good shape if the price is right too...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    No point in buying stock sized wheels IMO.. save up and buy some 17s when you can get tires..
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by White94Bird View Post
    No point in buying stock sized wheels IMO.. save up and buy some 17s when you can get tires..
    I really, don't want anything other than what I mentioned. Paid over $400 for a good set of "H" rated tires (I think). I have to admit that my wheels are too bad to pait or powdercoat due to damage. 17's are not what I am looking for...

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    You don't want 17's because they use a lower profile tire and your afraid they would ride rough?
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

You could probably find some used Speedlines for cheap. Should be pretty light and you could paint or powdercoat them black.
    Jay

| 2007.5 GMC Sierra LMM w/ EFI Live | "Limped it twice...needs a Suncoast" |

Quote Originally Posted by fbodytech View Post
    You don't want 17's because they use a lower profile tire and your afraid they would ride rough?
    No, I don't want 17's because I don't want to replace my tires

The tires have less than 2000 miles on them! They have not been on the car long enough to rotate them yet.

Painted mine,epoxy primer,black base,then clear.I used paint that I had left over from another Firebird.You should be able to paint a set of stockers easily with multiple coats using a quart of each.
    Providing you have access to a compressor and spray gun.I've seen spray can jobs that didn't look too bad.

IMG_0606.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by olsofti View Post
    Painted mine,epoxy primer,black base,then clear.I used paint that I had left over from another Firebird.You should be able to paint a set of stockers easily with multiple coats using a quart of each.
    Providing you have access to a compressor and spray gun.I've seen spray can jobs that didn't look too bad.

IMG_0606.jpg
    I have seen several packages like that. Great job on your end! My rims are badly damaged from bad street driving, Two of the rims had the rear brake cailper bracket bolt come out and scored a nice fat metal scratch around the inner circumference of the wheel. I spent a lot of time painting the wing already too... Maybe I am a little stubborn, but I would sooner just get new ones that happen to be lighter also...

Just get another set of stock 5 spokes, paint them black, be done with it. If you are really wanting to be cheap (which you appear to be), you can take bondo and fill in the scratches, primer it, paint them, clear it. There is a good link to a write up somewhere on here that has really good instructions on doing it, and it turns out looking very nice. There are very few 16" after market wheels that you will find for less than $400. You could always try selling the wheels and tires on CL and adding that $400 to the money you make off them and buying a set of 17's.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    You could always try selling the wheels and tires on CL and adding that $400 to the money you make off them and buying a set of 17's.
    Exactly. The 16's leave too much fender gap and the tires are to mooshy. Set of vette wheels is the second best thing I ever did the bird.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

Or you could just do the reasonable thing and wait until you need new tires again and replace the rims at the same time. I suggest looking over at OEWheels.com. They have 17" Black C4 ZR1's with a polished lip packaged with a front size of 9.5" wide and a rear dished rim at 11" with tires for about 900 bucks. I've spent more than that on just tires before. No personally I'd suggest you get 9.5" all the way around so you have more choices when it comes to rear tires and it would allow you to still rotate your tires. 16's just don't look as perfect as wide 17's on F-bodies in my opinion. That said if you want a set of Firebird five stars to paint and dress up I have a set that I'll sell you for 50 plus shipping.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

A friend of mine has a set of chrome firehawk wheels he's looking to sell. We can stop by his house Saturday on the way to Hooters if you'd like.
    | z28 rear end w/ 3.73 | Pacesetter Headers | LS1 Driveshaft | 3000 stall | Flowmaster 80 | !Cat | Drilled and Slotted Rotors | MSD Wires | Cold Air Intake | 180 stat | HD2 Shift Kit | Corvette Servo | Billstein Shocks | Strano Springs | 32/19 hallow sways |
    HP tuners | moar to come
    ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿

Quote Originally Posted by Tpunk View Post
    Or you could just do the reasonable thing and wait until you need new tires again and replace the rims at the same time. I suggest looking over at OEWheels.com. They have 17" Black C4 ZR1's with a polished lip packaged with a front size of 9.5" wide and a rear dished rim at 11" with tires for about 900 bucks. I've spent more than that on just tires before. No personally I'd suggest you get 9.5" all the way around so you have more choices when it comes to rear tires and it would allow you to still rotate your tires. 16's just don't look as perfect as wide 17's on F-bodies in my opinion. That said if you want a set of Firebird five stars to paint and dress up I have a set that I'll sell you for 50 plus shipping.
    FWIW, I am getting educated on wheel choices! I went to two shops today and discovered that the cheapest black painted (no powdercoating on them) wheels which looked good will still set me back a minimum of $500. Tack on an additional $80 for removing the tires from the wheels and mount + balance. No decent way to cheap out unless I actually paint my own or buy some used like what you guys mentioned. I really, don't have an extra grand to throw around for those 17s, but I do appreciate the sound advice....

Thanks much for the offer for the stockers.... I am taking a vacation from painting for a while because my garage is still a mess from the TA wing.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksixRS View Post
    A friend of mine has a set of chrome firehawk wheels he's looking to sell. We can stop by his house Saturday on the way to Hooters if you'd like.
    Not a bad idea man! You can never go wrong with chrome. PM me the details or we can check it out then...

Light Throttle SixShooter'00Camaro's Avatar
    OEWheels has crazy good prices on Vette replicas. I was looking at some ZR1's, for all 4 chrome was around 460 bucks.
    The DD, 1999 Camaro Y87 Package, stock except C5 Wagon wheels, 5% Tint, Air silencer delete and Dynomax catback.
    Project, 2000 Camaro |3:42's|Auburn Posi|UMI LCAs|UMI PHB|Pacesetters|X-Pipe True Duals|B&M Ripper Short Throw|Intake mods|C5 Z06 Wheels|Powerdyne build forever in progress.|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast