Thread: Re-using parts on a rebuild question

Re-using parts on a rebuild question

Now I know if I plan on re-using my lifters, pushrods, and rockers on a rebuild i need to keep them in order to preserve the wear patterns. However what if i'm just planning on keeping the rockers and replacing everything else? Do i still need to keep the rockers in order even though I'm using new parts for everything else?

I probably knew this at one point, but I haven't been in an engine in a few years.
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Now I know if I plan on re-using my lifters, pushrods, and rockers on a rebuild i need to keep them in order to preserve the wear patterns. However what if i'm just planning on keeping the rockers and replacing everything else? Do i still need to keep the rockers in order even though I'm using new parts for everything else?

I probably knew this at one point, but I haven't been in an engine in a few years.
    I don't think it matters, because i bought some used rockers and had no ill effects when i put them in without knowing what place they were in.
    98 V6 camaro... Heads and cam comming soon

Yeah I don't think it matters either. I just want to make sure since i'm rusty as hell on rebuilds. New parts would create new wear patterns anyway. Bleh.

Eh, I never put anything in order when I took it apart. Threw them all in a box and installed them as I pulled them out randomly. Never had valvetrain issues because of it.
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

lol well I already pulled the rockers....and the heads on top of that!

I'm leaving the rockers and replacing the rest anyway. I'm just heading for a stock rebuild for now so i'm trying to extra careful.....feels so weird!

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    Hydraulic lifters means they adjust as soon as oil pressure builds. It dosen't matter which push rod goes with which rocker on what ever lifter. It'll adjust its self on start up.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird