Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I finally enlisted in the Navy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So I finally enlisted in the Navy

After having considered it for years, it has finally happened. As of right now I'm enlisted for SECF, which was my second choice, and my ship date is 12/6, but that may change. What I really wanted to do is get into nuclear. I got a 93 AFQT and all of my line scores are high enough but by the time they would be able to ship me out I will be too old. Apparently for nuke you have to be 26 or younger by the time you get out of school and they put you on a ship or sub. With boot camp and all of the schooling that means you have to be 24 or younger when you ship out. I will be 25 in July so I had to do an obscene amount of paperwork for an age waiver. The age waiver has not been processed yet, but I've been told if it is approved (which honestly I don't see why it wouldn't be) I will be re-sign as a nuke (hello signing bonus) and my ship date will probably be moved to a closer date. I'll be starting out as an E-3 regardless because of my AA degree, which is pretty sweet. Now I just need to get in shape and stay out of trouble.
    Corey-Former Southeast Mod
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
    USM '07 Cobalt LS I4 M5 : SLOW SOLD
    SSM '99 Camaro V6 M5 E/T:14.8 @ 94 (before cam) SOLD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome man congrats!

Im leaving this fall for the AF finally after years of medical issue bah!

Jason-
    2000 Camaro - Totaled
    2002 Firebird - Sold
    2000 Camaro Z28 - Sold
    2004 Cavalier SS - YJ/A4 1 of 658

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    Congrats. I wish I would have gone into the Navy instead of the Army to be quite honest. Hell I might end up over there anyway and maybe even as your boss one day I'm looking at going nuke officer in the next couple of years.
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Jason I didn't even know you were considering the military. What was the medical issue? I almost got medically disqualified because I told them that I rarely get migraines. Dustin, that's my eventual goal (to be a nuke officer) but that's looking way ahead in my case, especially considering that I may not even get into nuke at all because of this age waiver.
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

good luck man, Nuke is a TOUGH rating.. lots of schooling and lots of work..yea the signing bonus is huge but you have to complete 2 years of school to get it...but of course if you got out after your 6 you'd find a job asap making like 150
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/045/5/7/Squirrel_on_a_Motorbike_by_Suzanyab.jpg
    Steve
    2007 Honda CBR 600RR (daily)
    2003 KTM 525sx (Trails/MX toy)
    2007 Chevy Silverado (Toy Hauler/Truck stuff)

The monkey made me do it! rhino2104's Avatar
    Nuke officer is even tougher from what I understand. You essentially get your masters degree in two years of school. Pretty insane. I look at it like, "Hell I did one year of school for my current job in the military. I can do two easy enough."
    ~Dustin~ Military & Kill Stories Forum Mod
    1999 Camaro - Red, auto, not stock (for sale PM for details)

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

thats what you're doing dustin? nuke Officer?
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/045/5/7/Squirrel_on_a_Motorbike_by_Suzanyab.jpg
    Steve

Age waiver was denied :-( No nuke for me. They say it has been too long since I've taken a math class. I think it's kind of ridiculous though because if I were two months younger they wouldn't have even looked at the last time I took a math class. The only way I even might be able to go nuke now is if they reinstate the NAPT and then they say if I do well I can get nuke, then Id need to take it and do well. That's a lot of if's so I'm not getting my hopes up. So as of now, it's SECF shipping out 12/6.
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

Well, the NAPT was reinstated, Nuke coordinator OK'd me for it, I took it and passed. We resubmitted my stuff and my age waiver was approved. I've signed the reclassification paperwork and I'm now officially NF-bound. My new ship date for basic is 1/19/12 (feels like forever away). :-)
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

Congrats man, It sucks how long the process is then only to learn the date for basic is so far away. Luckily the time will fly by pretty quick I actually leave in 5 weeks and it feels like yesterday that it was May and I was only learning my ship date.

Jason-
    2000 Camaro - Totaled
    2002 Firebird - Sold
    2000 Camaro Z28 - Sold
    2004 Cavalier SS - YJ/A4 1 of 658

Well, the time is finally just about here. 11 days away from boot camp. Seems like it was just yesterday I was counting around 120 days and now I'm almost to single digits. I'm about 3/4 excited and 1/4 terrified.
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

Horrible day, shipping delayed, medical issue. New ship date 2/28. Hopefully the issue will be dealt with by then and I'll finally go. Sorry, I just don't feel like typing it all out right now.
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

its all good man. Enjoy your freedom for now lolz.
    Steve

So today I go to my recruiter because the Chief wants to talk to me and make sure I'm still all squared away, then my recruiter comes and says he needs to talk to me. He does so in the way he's always given me bad news, grabs a cigarette and says, "let's go talk out back." Turns out he got a call from MEPS Jax today and they said they want me in for a med eval on March 1st. He's like WTF, he's supposed to ship on Feb 28th. They say, not anymore change it. So once again, I've been delayed, now March 20th pending the med eval on March 1st.
    Last edited by 99v6cam; 03-17-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

Well, I leave for MEPS tomorrow. Hopefully I make it to boot camp this time, lol.
    BLK '14 Camaro 2SS/RS M6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast