Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darn pass key bull sh#t

Darn pass key bull sh#t

So i come out of school ready to get the heck back to the apartment and my car wont start. Nothin not cranking or anything, it just couldnt be that simple! So anyway the security light flashes when i tried to start it, so im goin back to it once i can get a ride there to see what i can do. I've cleaned the resistor so im hoping ill getr lucky and that will work, doubt it but hoping! Also i have read about bypassing the resistor reader, that is some orange wire coming down from the ignition switch, so i really dont know what to do besides that stuff. Anyone have any expireence with this? The good news is i go to an automotive school so i can ask the instructors and such, too bad they dont have a GM security class lol. All in its very very frustrating
    2001 Firebird W68
    Whisper lid, Smooth Bellows, KN Filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Jet Stage II PCM, SSRA, HID Fog Lights 6000k

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here are a couple more sites/threads on how to bypass the VATS. Get the right resistor and splice it in. Done deal. I've done it on a few cars.

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61262
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

I have the same issue, but somewhat opposite. My car runs and drives fine, but the secuity light never turns off. Will try the resistor thing first before I have to dig deeper

Drew--F-Body General Tech Moderator

ok so i did bypass the vats it took 2 tries but i finally got the right resistance. That was a big relief when it started up! Thanks alot guys all your links helped alot. 13sec thats what my car did, the security light just stayed on all the time, but now when i brought the car home the security light wasnt on so i dont know if itll come back on or not...
    2001 Firebird W68
    Whisper lid, Smooth Bellows, KN Filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Jet Stage II PCM, SSRA, HID Fog Lights 6000k

Glad it was a simple fix.
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    just in case you guys were wondering, from my dealings with gm security problems in the shop on gm vats systems with resistor key's and the systems in a lot of the gm gen 2 vortec trucks 9 times out of 10 the electrical portion of the ignition switch will fix the problem.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Just an fyi, but... I still had issues with the vats even after adding the resistor. I ended up grounding the relay in the fuse box under the hood. Every once in a while the security light comes on, but she always starts.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

Half Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
    Just an fyi, but... I still had issues with the vats even after adding the resistor. I ended up grounding the relay in the fuse box under the hood. Every once in a while the security light comes on, but she always starts.
    that would be the starter inhibit/enable relay. good method of dealing with it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by 13secv6
    I have the same issue, but somewhat opposite. My car runs and drives fine, but the secuity light never turns off. Will try the resistor thing first before I have to dig deeper
    you're in fail-enable mode: when the car is running with security light on, unplug the wires that connect to the contacts in the igniton switch (in a W-body it's a thick, flat orange wire coming out of the steering column). when you do that, the system will be permanately stuck in fail-enable, with no chance of starting to work correctly, potentially seeing the wrong key value and then not allowing you to start/run.

^ that will actually work with any PK2 system BTW, should you want to disable it, just make sure it's running, then pull the wire. you'll have to deal with a security light being on all the time, but it can't get all FAILbus on you.

That was a very confusing post...

Half Throttle
    LOL, i tend to do that...

long story short, if you want to disable PASSKEY2, get the engine running, then disconnect the plug that should be under the dash that connects the little contacts in the ignition cylinder to the actual PK2 module. wait for about ~60 seconds and the security light should come on. when it does, turn the key off and you should now have a completely PK2 free vehicle(the module will ALWAYS send the 50Hz "fuel enable" signal to the ECM), though as someone else has mentioned, there is a relay that controls the starter, bypass it or wire to allow starter operation whenever the ignition is in the on position, then your done with it.

assuming you want it disabled anyways, i happen to like the system, just not when it's -30*F and the starter enable relay doesn't function.

but the light will stay on? I am trying to turn the light off.

Half Throttle
    pull bulb?

yes, in that situation, the bulb would stay on whenever the key is rolled forward.

if you want to get the light to shut off, imitate a proper resistance key with a resistor from radioshack, connect it where desired, then the PK2 system will never know the difference, and the light will go off after the initial bulb test when key-on.

if you wanted to keep the system functional, IIRC, you would need to pull the steering wheel and replace the ignition cylinder. for that reason, i learned to live with the light.

yea, my goal is not to have any lights, i will try the resistor to get rid of the light. if that does the trick then i will buy a new lock cylinder..

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robertisaar View Post
    pull bulb?

yes, in that situation, the bulb would stay on whenever the key is rolled forward.

if you want to get the light to shut off, imitate a proper resistance key with a resistor from radioshack, connect it where desired, then the PK2 system will never know the difference, and the light will go off after the initial bulb test when key-on.

if you wanted to keep the system functional, IIRC, you would need to pull the steering wheel and replace the ignition cylinder. for that reason, i learned to live with the light.
    How difficult is it to change out the ignition cylinder?
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast