+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how much boost can a stock v6 3800 series camaro stand

i have a camaro and i was wondering how much it could stand without messing up my car because its my daily. and how much it would cost for a good system.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A better question is, "How many supporting mods do you have to compliment your engine?" Without larger injectors and a decent tune it doesn't matter because any motor can grenade easily!

With the basic stuff I would say 10 psi easily. Some folks have been alot higher...

Hunting for 10's
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro30eight View Post
    i have a camaro and i was wondering how much it could stand without messing up my car because its my daily. and how much it would cost for a good system.
    6- 10,000 for a good one all done. 2-3,000 for shitty components.

Cheap
    Fast
    Reliable
    Pick 2
    97 camaro A4, HEADS, CAM, INTAKES BY WOT-TECH -Straight intake w/ cable TB
    536 rwhp @ 15psi On E-85 Tuned by Excessive Autosports, Sioux Falls, SD.
    If you cant afford to do it right the first time. Can you afford to do it a second time????
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2340_1.gif

Full Throttle Extreme! kidcamaro98's Avatar
    I was running a turbonetics T72 and I was putting 15psi daily through it, for over a year with the occasional 18psi here and there...

01 Arctic White Camaro M6 SS # # 5728 --- 600.8rwhp , 642rwtq
    MS3 cam,HSW nitrous plate kit, Moser 12 bolt w/ 4.11's,Bolt Ons, Lowered/full spohn suspension, DD C6 Z06's etc....

Light Throttle
    20psi as long as the tune is perfect.

I drive around on 14-15psi. Any higher wouldn't be as streetable. (It's tuned for the 14-15psi)

Cartuning turbo kit on the cartuning tune.
    1997 3800 Firebird ----1996 Integrea GSR
    Cartuning Turbo kit --- Daily Driver

Hey Meemperor, How long have you been running the Cartuning kit? What supporting mods do you have? PM me if you want.
    Project MONGOOSE

**PHK**
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'

Quote Originally Posted by N2OEQIP View Post
    6- 10,000 for a good one all done. 2-3,000 for shitty components.

Cheap
    Fast
    Reliable
    Pick 2
    6 to 10 grand? Who are you guys paying to build your stuff? I could duplicate my camaro turbo system including a name brand turbo, fuel system, intercooler and labor for 3500 bucks. Thats anybodys deal straight thru the front door of my shop and 40 bucks/hour labor rate. If you cheated on the intercooler and went with an Ebay item, the rest of the parts might bump 2 grand. That leaves 37.5 hrs to build it and still be under 3500 bucks. Even at 6 grand i'd be scared of burning in hell for being such a crook . LOL

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.

Quote Originally Posted by trb0355 View Post
    6 to 10 grand? Who are you guys paying to build your stuff? I could duplicate my camaro turbo system including a name brand turbo, fuel system, intercooler and labor for 3500 bucks. Thats anybodys deal straight thru the front door of my shop and 40 bucks/hour labor rate. If you cheated on the intercooler and went with an Ebay item, the rest of the parts might bump 2 grand. That leaves 37.5 hrs to build it and still be under 3500 bucks. Even at 6 grand i'd be scared of burning in hell for being such a crook . LOL
    Now thats funny... I believe that you can source your own parts and create a simple front mount kit capable of 10 psi for less than that if you can do all the work yourself and have all the tools. It shouldn't cost more than $2500 including a tune and quality parts. $3500 is still a great deal if you have the skills and time to make a kit for a customer.

Man I wish it were possible to get a kit installed / out the door for $3500 when I was screwing around with this. Also, seems like most places around here are more like double that cost for labor.

At any rate, the more junkyard parts you use the cheaper the build can get. If you already have access to a machine shop and welding then that also helps. But I think it is difficult to come in under $3500 for parts if you are using quality parts and are actually including all of the parts that you need... itemize it out.

Turbo
    Intercooler
    Pipe
    BOV
    WG
    Vacuum lines
    Band clamps
    Boost controller
    Oil lines / tap stock oil system
    Fuel injectors
    Fuel pump
    Boost gauge
    Fuel Pressure gauge
    Tuning... which can get very expensive if you don't do it yourself
    Wideband (which you can get away with not having if you have a reputable shop tune it)
    Misc BS fasteners, lines, whatever.
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

dont ask
    you get what you pay for. simple as that.

making the effort to go turbo and walking away with a simple (up to) 10lbs isnt worth it.

heck, it doesnt even become fun until 18..that's when the forethought and extra effort comes in.
    18 to 20 is where the sweet spot is for our DD 3800's.
    above that you better have your ducks in a row.

just my opinion. fwiw
    Dan

My car makes me giggle sometimes NA, I'm afraid to ask how big of a Cheshire cat sized grin I'd have if I had 18lbs+ at my disposal.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●60°Inc. Heads & Intake●Intense S1X Cam●FFF Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56 swapped●

I can't wait to find out

As for the money thing we're talking about, I agree with the "cheap, fast, reliable" thing, I went for "fast and reliable". I'm in at least $7000 now, probably more (but at this point I don't want to know, lol). By the time I'm done with the details and dyno tuned, probably going to be kissing that $8k mark. I never intended to go this far, just blew up as I went Now the motor I built won't take the power this setup is capable of producing, least not reliably All I can say is the little stuff ads up really quick.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Constantly Overachieving Merlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camaro30eight View Post
    For a daily driver, and without messing it up, you could take about

0Psi.

If you rely on that car to get you back and forth to work, don't fuck with it. I hot rodded my DD and it left me sometimes in the garage till 3 or 4AM trying to get it running enough to get to work.

If you want a hot rod, great! Make sure that you have a working DD before you make a project... Look down our list of fast turbo cars and I can assure you that not one is the sole car for that person. The reason is that when you push the bounds, the bound will mouth-fuck you when you least expect it. do you want that to be on the way to work?
    Justin

GMC Sierra 2008
    Yamaha V-Star 1100 2003

For more information about the L67 swap into an F-body, please click here

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    For a daily driver, and without messing it up, you could take about

0Psi.

If you rely on that car to get you back and forth to work, don't fuck with it. I hot rodded my DD and it left me sometimes in the garage till 3 or 4AM trying to get it running enough to get to work.

If you want a hot rod, great! Make sure that you have a working DD before you make a project... Look down our list of fast turbo cars and I can assure you that not one is the sole car for that person. The reason is that when you push the bounds, the bound will mouth-fuck you when you least expect it. do you want that to be on the way to work?
    HEHEHEEEEEE! I know what you mean! I hot rodded my Firebird, and consistently messed stuff up to a point where I had to get another car. Sometimes I wish that it was a V8 and I would have more than enough power to be a highway stomper. I drove it today to work because my DD has a nasty fuel leak. I still don't have a complete exhaust system, but just a 3inch DP hanging out under the k-member. Talk about loud.... everyone knows when it is coming.

I had to do a fair amount of messing around when i first got my turbo system up and running. My system is based on pacesetter headers and the so-so under K design and the only major problems in the last year have been the collectors with that ball socket style hookup settling in and causing the bolts to loosen about 10 friggin times so far. And one misdesigned hanger keeps breaking the weld. Other than that, its been an absolutely trouble free 10k miles at 10 lbs boost street tune. I even drive it in the winter with sandbags in back and gotta say, the road de-icer HAMMERS all the pretty pipe work i did.
    If a guy wanted to lower his car, the under K design wouldn't be useable but stock ride height and some bone stock SS struts and springs is a thing of beauty! The springs perfectly offset the added weight and the stiffer dampening was the best mod ive ever done for handling and keeping the pipes from hitting. They might scrape once every few weeks driving but havent done any damage.

The under K setup also keeps the cost of fab down and involves zero hack on any of the car but its not for everyone. A fabbed set of forward facing headers would definitely drive the price of a system up but for the money, what about a tubular K and keep the pacesetters? Maybe? Less under heat that way and no heater hose or A/C mods. You guys are probably correct that 3500 bucks might be a stretch with dyno time included but (and i know im gonna get some flak for this) does it really need dynoed? Ive never dynoed my car and went 12.27 with no problems. The price of a wideband is money better spent than dyno time (initially) becaue the gauge will be with the car forever and great for monitoring things on a daily basis.

I honestly dont even have a wideband on my car and have tuned off the ridiculously inaccurate narrow bands which has left my tune much too rich WOT as i get a handle on what it wants. But its still alive with 137k miles. For a street tune at 10 lbs, i know i could build a kit and street tune it to run forever and keep the money in check. If any of you guys live near Washington state, il build you a system and keep it half ass affordable! I also have full access to a chassis dyno for 50 bucks and hour dyno rent plus my 40 bucks labor rate to do things right.

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast