Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T5 Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure Plate Options

T5 Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure Plate Options

Okay, I'm gonna let it out of the bag that I'm looking into a swap to a manual trans after I get what I need out of my auto. So therefore, I beseech thee, our great rowers of gears!

I've heard mention of Ram, McLeod, Zoom, Spec, Centerforce. I'm wanting something that will be reasonable for daily driving (nothing so firm my wife wouldn't be able to drive it), but still deal good with my NA build while sporting drag radials. I've got a full suspension car as well, so all of that can be tuned properly for a dig race. I'm just wanting to get the fun back into driving the car.

I'd like recommendations on:
    Clutch
    Flywheel
    Pressure Plate

And why you prefer those parts and what use they've seen. I'm researching the parts on the side, just want to hear personal choices by those here.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm using the stock flywheel, spec stage 3 clutch. The clutch was nice when I got it, liked the feel, was about all I would want to deal with in traffic, overall I would buy one again. I have however had the pucks upgraded to a more modern material, spec uses something that the friction shop hadn't seen in about 10 years I'm curious to see what it'll be like with the better pucks, they said it should be a little more grabby, but not by much. ARP flywheel bolts are a must too, don't touch hardware store grade 8 bolts, they're brittle and WILL crack, in my case they caused enough damages to require pulling the crank. I was going to get an aluminum flywheel, but after speaking to several local performance shops we decided the stock iron one was the best bet, helps on the launch. Since you're going to need all that, make sure the aftermarket one you buy has a good surface on it, I bought one from rock auto and needed to have it surfaced, had a less than ideal rough cut. There's my 2 cents, though I'm sure you've read it plenty times before

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

weight-reducer psycho 02pewtersix's Avatar
    Spec stage 3 clutch/pressure plate, Spec aluminum flywheel. (for sale)

daily drove 50 miles a day for nearly a month and half with the setup. no issues, no chatter, hooked up hard on the track. I too was full suspension car minus stock torque arm, loved every bit of it.
    Matt
    02 Pewter V6 camaro SOLD
    2010 Camaro 2SS M6- [email protected] 374hp 387 tq stock
    11.60 @ 119 428 hp 429 tq: boltons, drag radials
    04 E55 AMG 12.67 @ 115 Stock

Light Throttle
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-641-0750/

Are these the flywheel bolts you used MusicMan? Do you know what size and length the pressure plate bolts are? Should any of them have lock washers, or just locktite on all?

These are like the last two things holding me up on my swap, beside getting some free time. I think the only other thing I need is a pigtail for the reverse lights....

That looks right for the flywheel, I used red loctite on my bolts. As for the pressure plate, I've never heard of those breaking, so I'm using grade 10 bolts there like last time., and iirc I used loctite there too. The pressure plate bolts aren't as critical as the flywheel bolts, the stresses they're under aren't nearly what the flywheel bolts are. The ARP bolts come with washers, and I don't believe I used them, for a couple of reasons. First, stock bolts don't have washers, second, I wanted all the thread in the crank I could get away with. And no, you can't order the next size longer bolt and use the washers, too long. I did use arp moly grease under the heads of the bolts, but the red loctite on the threads.

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Light Throttle
    Cool, thanks for the info. Do you remember the sizing on the pressure plate bolts? I cant find that info anywhere.........

lol, I don't. I could find out though, I've got extra junk (flywheel, pressure plate, etc.) laying in the shop, I'll see if I can figure it out for ya.

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Full Throttle Extreme! 96firephoenix's Avatar
    Indianapolis, IN/Steubenville, OH for school
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    ARP flywheel bolts are a must too, don't touch hardware store grade 8 bolts, they're brittle and WILL crack,
    FWIW, I've got about 7K miles on hardware store bolts, and my Buddy got ones from the dealer that only lasted about 1200 miles
    A.J.
    1996 Firebird 3800 Series II, Stock-Ish, T-5 conversion "The Phoenix" RIP 3-31-11
    Lives on: Engine and Trans are in:
    1996 Firebird 3800 Series 2, T-5. Factory retrofits: CD player with steering wheel controls, power driver's seat.

You're probably not launching on slicks from 6500rpm though And honestly, I don't understand skimping on a couple bucks there, just do it right the first time.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 02-21-2011 at 10:04 AM.

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

What, you don't want a flywheel coming loose at 7000 rpm's? Footloose!?
    2000 Firebird

Everyone was getting ready to nickname me "stumpy"

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Well it could have been worse, you could have been called "Cotton."

2000 Firebird

I ran a spec stage 3 in my v6, with a resurfaced stock flywheel. It was grabby, and stiffer in the pedal. It was fine for DD, but was kind of a pita for long periods of stop and go traffic. Never slipped on me at the track like the stock clutch did.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    lol, I don't. I could find out though, I've got extra junk (flywheel, pressure plate, etc.) laying in the shop, I'll see if I can figure it out for ya.

That would be great! Thanks.

Since I have completely highjacked this thread now, I'm going to run a stock replacement flywheel from auto zone, and a AC Delco clutch set. Mine is just a stock daily driver though, just looking to put a little more fun in driving it.....

Luckily I don't have much stop and go as I'm usually on the loop and interstate for work. Thanks guys.
    2000 Firebird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast