Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.6 2v mod engine... school me

4.6 2v mod engine... school me

ok now that i have the battle barge (what my parents have lovingly named the giant behemoth that is the grand Marquis) i have been looking up on what can be done to the 4.6 and i really have not found much for the 2v NPI. basically found out if i really want any thing out of this engine i need to do a PI swap and every thread i have found on ford sites have made my intellect drop reading them.

also if i do do a PI swap i am not going to put in stock cams but all the after market cams i have found are high revving with almost no bottom end. not ideal for a 4000+ lbs. did think of using truck PI cams as they did have a higher tq rating then the cars but also had longer runner intakes

any idea? or forums i should lerk?
    Tom H.
    92 LeBaron Convertible 3.0L v6: turbo 3L v6 build 97 Grand Marquis GS: retired police cruiser
    99 Grand Prix GTP 2dr: top swapped beater97 Grand Prix GT 4dr: Project "frankenstein"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's a DD, I would fix it up, maybe do an intake, headers if they're out there, and leave the rest alone.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

whats the fun in that

but no i get what your saying. i should just be content that it can beat my friend GPGT

and don't ask me how it can do that by all means it should be a 17 second car
    Tom H.
    92 LeBaron Convertible 3.0L v6: turbo 3L v6 build 97 Grand Marquis GS: retired police cruiser
    99 Grand Prix GTP 2dr: top swapped beater97 Grand Prix GT 4dr: Project "frankenstein"

Full Throttle Extreme! 1970judge's Avatar
    It needs pushrods

/schooled
    Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
    "First thing I'll do is call Comp and tell them to grind me a CC306 for the LS2"

those would be some short push rods
    Tom H.

Full Throttle Extreme! 1970judge's Avatar
    Meh, you can find somewhere to stick them.
    Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
    "First thing I'll do is call Comp and tell them to grind me a CC306 for the LS2"

Eh.. yeah I can see doing the PI swap, but the amount of money you have to throw at cams on those motors for the gain you get, just isnt worth it. Basically boost or bust on those.
    -Mitchell- First Collision/Rage Motorsports
    68 Firebird - 406 SBC - 9.31 @ 148
    95 S10 - 422 LS3/T56 Build in progress - Future DD

5.4 truck swap. Done.

lol But honestly for the price of the PI swap (i've looked into this, my dad had 98, yea one year off) you can just buy the whole engine with the PI heads or a 5.4 and go FI. These engines love nitrous also. Look up Stever Hyland (I think thats his name), he/company can help you get up to 40 horse just by redegreeing the cams. But its way to indeath for me so I didn't do it. Do a search on degreeing a 4.6 and it should be at the top somewhere. Its been about a year so I stopped caring lol. I do know they sound really good with straight pipes and no cats. My dads old 98 had six cats, we deleted all of them and straight piped it keeping the factory h-pipe and it just sounded awesome. That and a air raid intake made a huge difference in the way that car ran, I imagine it could be applied to your vehicle to since its the same engine pretty much.

EDIT: Not steve but Sean Hyland, here is the site. One of the best at modular motors ever, http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/
    Last edited by triple_l82; 02-12-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

thanks for the link

i have degreeed a some mod engines. but they where out of vehicle and vary vary invalved
    Tom H.

oh yea, and no problem on the link. That guy knows his stuff with the mod motors. Him, saleen, and roush are the top I beleive. I could be wrong seeing as I'm not a member of the ford camp lol.
    Larry:
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car

did find out it's modded sort of. it is chipped and i have a PI intake manifold lol
    Tom H.

wow, that shouldn't work? You might have a newer engine then.......that would be badass.
    Larry:

you can put a PI intake on a NPI heads. you just need to RTV 2 coolant passages to get it to seal. i will be taking it off to make sure it is sealed correctly.

pretty sure it still has NPI heads becuase of the cam covers. the oil fill is on the driver side on NPI and passenger side on PI
    Tom H.

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    burn it. best option out there for a non pi 4.6.

truthfully best option out there for good torque and more power is pi heads with a lightning blower swap. It's a pretty popular swap on anything panther. go check out crownvic.net. good site i have found some good info on there for my mom's PI 02 crown vic.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

pretty nice site. i have been lerking alot

most over there think that none ported PI heads are a waist and to just do a PI cams and Intake swap. only swap the heads if they're ported. aperantly the cams and intake are what gives the most power.

for now thinking of just the basic intake, exhuast, and a retune. even though it's chipped i do not know what the setting are.
    Tom H.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast