Thread: ECT sensor bad?

ECT sensor bad?

Anyone ever have a Engine Coolant Temperature sensor go bad? I think (hope) mine is, otherwise im in some serious trouble. Also, anyone any advice for changing it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

what is the car doing that makes you think it is going bad? mine went bad, and pretty much the car didnt like to do hot starts. if the car was cold it would be fine, if it was hot it would have a hellova time starting. i replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and a few other things, and finally replaced the ECT sensor and that fixed it.
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Well started like this...

My Firebird is my 2nd vehicle, sits outside in the parking spots outside my apt. Decided I wanted to take it to work, so got in, started up no problems, let her warm up, scraped ice/snow off of it. Driving to work (less than 2mins away). My Check Gauges light came on, My temp gauge was in the RED. pulled back into my apt, popped the hood, no steam, no coolant leak, felt hoses, not terribly hot, but not cold either, squeezed them, they have fluid in them. Couldn't do much after that, Let her sit.

Next day, opened rad cap, plenty of fluid. Tried starting, it acts like it wants to start, but can't fire. My friend asked if when i turned the key on (without starting) if the temp gauge went up, it goes to 210? Middle. He said it shouldn't?

Haven't had any problems with this beforehand, any help would be nice.

Do you know if the car still has dexcool in it or have you done a fluid flush and fill on it?
    2007 Acura TL Black on Black w/Navi
    1996 Camaro Base - Sold
    1995 Firebird - Sold
    1999 Firebird - Sold
    2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Sold

I don't know if it's dexcool, it's bright green

It was indeed the ECT sensor, finally got a decent enough day as far as weather goes to replace it.

The faulty one really gave me issues, From a dead cold it would read in the RED on the temp gauge, and make my fans run constantly. Which in turn drained my battery.

SOOO glad to have this fixed, was freaking out that I had an issue with coolant or something worse.
    Last edited by jquintel; 02-08-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: hillbilly spelling

Contributing Sponsor
    I had a loose connection on my LT1 and it drove me CRAZY!!!

Glad you got it sorted out!