Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Firebird with M90

1999 Firebird with M90

Hey guys, I havent been on many forums for a while due to being swamped with work and family stuff going on but moved into a new location early last summer so I got to work on some custom projects when time permitted and finally got a supercharged top swap setup on a 99 Firebird. The car belongs to a good friend and has been bugging me for the past few years but I didnt have the space to commit the project since I planned to take a lot of time to do things right and make more down the road..... After doing this project and having things buttoned up Im not sure it is honestly worth the trouble due to the extensive time involved and the expense. Its not just a simple top swap by any means- and to the few guys on here who already did this I give you a LOT of props for going at it start to finish because it is a lot of work! The firewall was not modified in any way for this project and that was the goal. The AC and ABS are still in tact as well. I made custom trolleys for the engine and trans and dropped everything out the bottom and rolled it out as this made it much easier to freshin things up and reseal the badly leaking engine. I used L32 fuel rails and since this fuel rail is for a returnless system an L67 fuel rail regularor and tubing was used and plumbed into the fuel lines under the hood. There is a whole lot more I could talk about but wanted to share a bit of what I did for now. The car is running and has a rough starting point tune on it but it has snowed here all week so I havent been able to drive it yet and the roads arent the best here, nor are the tires on the car so I cant report with its performance yet but already doing a rwd L67 swap in my 86 Cutlass produced pretty awesome results for what I worked with engine wise. This engine is still the stock lower L36, L67 heads that were rebuilt, S1X blower cam, Pacesetter headers with 3" catback, and of course extensive blower work and port job. Excuse the stock drive by wire throttle body that is currently on the car, my plans took a huge turn south after diving into wiring as this setup was intended for an LS1 throttle body. When spring time rolls around the throttle body will be swapped out with a larger one from a truck and the supercharger pulley will be dropped, this is just starting point stuff on the car for now. I have tons of pics but pulled a few of the nicer ones to share online. Enjoy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is superb and a very professional job! I hope you get it all lined up and running proper. That's gonna be magazine potential there, honestly.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Full Throttle Extreme! insaneABOT's Avatar
    I like the texture on your M90 how did you get that on there?

This homemade turbo kit is going to kill me

Thanks guys. I used VHT high heat wrinkle finish paint on the blower housing. Wanted to do something a little different for a cleaner look and used wrinkle paint on a customers blower a few years ago and liked how it turned out.

nice, I like that alot.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

Holy smokes, that's the best one I've seen yet I love the quality of the work you did there, just awesome.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Man that is an awesome job! And really you made it look rather simple. I know how painful this process is, but overall you did a very clean, simple design on it!

Now, what radius u-bend did you use coming out of the blower and what diameter pipe is that?
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

The inlet tube started as a 3" mandrel J-bend. I cut it down to roughly where I wanted it then put the blower end of it between two plates in a press to give it an oval shape to better fit the size of the inlet. I planned this for a 75mm LS1 throttle body and a 3" pipes' ID is just smaller than that so I had to flair the edge of the tube a bit and it is just about 76mm to leave a little wiggle room. There really wasnt any room to move it in any direction other than where it was due to the alternater location and the ac lines so I did a lot of test fitting in the car as well as measuring and then lots of checking once the engine was out of the car.

And how is the inlet tube held to the SC housing itself? Looks like in 1 pic there is a stud, but then in another pic it looks like there are bolts. And it almost looks like you used a turbo flange? I figured you would have gone the same route and everyone else and welded it on there.

Sorry, Ill be asking a ton of questions b/c these builds have always intrigued me. I told myself after blowing up the engine while being FI that I would not go back to FI with this car, but seeing this pics really makes my wheels turn... lol
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

That almost looks easy as well. Very clean job on it for sure, these swaps have come a long way since the C67 was built. What pulley size is on it now? Future plans with the car?

And off topic:
    Scott I just realized I've been on here twice as long as you and you have like twice as many posts as me lol
    /threadjack
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Wow, nice fabrication work. Bet you had to crank up the amps on the TIG welder to weld that back plate on eh? Thats some thick stuff.

Stromberger Performance
    For all your high performance needs

98 camaro V6 turbo
    428 whp for 600 bucks and it keeps on running.

The flanges are both custom for the inlet tube. I roughed out the pieces with a band saw for outer shape and finished in a mill for clean straight edges. I actually cut out the steel plate for the tube to match the welded plate on the blower housing and bolted the steel plate to the housing and milled it at the same time so the hole was the exact same. A few pics may show studs but they were just some stock L67 throttle body studs and were a bit long and I only used them for mockup purposes and bought correct length bolts for the finished product. I made the tube so it could be removed in the car but after having the blower bolted down the room to get to anything under the cowl is very limited and would be best just to remove the whole assembly if need be. The coolant holes were welded shut and milled flat on the lower intake since I cut down the blower housing how I did. For future builds I will leave more of a flange on the supercharger housing on the inlet end so it can cover the coolant holes ok and welding them shut wont be required. The aluminum plate that was welded to the inlet of the blower housing was done by someone I know that tig welds for a living on almost anything and over the years has more than proven his capabilities. When I got it back I was shocked and he did a great job on it for what he had to work with. He blasted the entire case for me and that helped out that much more. Everything else I welded with equipment that I have available. Most parts were mig welded but the thermostat housing I opted to tig weld as I didnt want to risk a leak from a pin hole in the weld.

Are you Dave at Triple Edge? Just curious, someone told me you were.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

that's really nice work.
    John - 05 2500HD (heads/cam)|99 Z28 (12.2 @ 114)|08 GSXR 600 (10.98 @130)
    99 V6: 12.400 @ 106.45 (sold to Sparky)

Nice job, dude. Did you build the bottom end up?
    Jared
    2001 NBM A4 Camaro
    158 HP/173 TQ/[email protected]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast