Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mas Air 2.8 car w/ a 3.4... what can I do to get a larger mas air?

Question Mas Air 2.8 car w/ a 3.4... what can I do to get a larger mas air?

Is there any larger mas air that will talk to my computer? 1987 2.8L Auto. Or is there a way to modify the stocker. I have always been afraid to try as I know how sensitive and easy to ruin they are.

I'm trying to avoid a speed density swap right now, but the car has got to get more air. I have a 65mm TB and I know the stock is no where near that. Any clues what it even is MM wise? If the car was with me I would check it, but it has not been moved yet. Its waiting on an engine paint job first, then it can come home.

thanks everyone!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know the TPI motors had MAF as well, maybe one of those?
    Zahn

2009 CTS4 3.6 LLT
    2012 SRX4 3.6 LFX
    2001 Ranger 4.0 XLT
    2000 GrandAm 3.4 GT
    1994 Firebird 3.4 SOLD

Your car have anything done to it for you to need the larger MAF other than the a 65 mm TB?

Otherwise you can always swap in a larger one, you just have to tune in new MAF tables for it to work.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

you're on thirdgen.org aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by oltorftd View Post
    Boobs just kind of go straight to the not-grown-up part of the male brain.

lol @ has anything been done to the car... the question is, what hasn't

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/191601...ird-here-ga-us
    Zahn

2009 CTS4 3.6 LLT
    2012 SRX4 3.6 LFX
    2001 Ranger 4.0 XLT
    2000 GrandAm 3.4 GT
    1994 Firebird 3.4 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Jore Knight View Post
    you're on thirdgen.org aren't you?
    Used to be... have not been active in a while. I've only been on a handful of times since 2006. Long story, but car has been in pieces since then. Bad economy and no job put a damper on things. I'm hoping to try and get the ball rolling again in the next few months since I finally have a full time job again.

I just did not want the drama, so I stayed off TGO.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
    lol @ has anything been done to the car... the question is, what hasn't

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/191601...ird-here-ga-us
    That was a long time ago... lol... even car domain let me down. got locked out about the time the car went down... Got back in, but the sight was so screwed up I just left it. Figure I will just start over when the car gets going again.
    Last edited by redraif; 11-09-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Your car have anything done to it for you to need the larger MAF other than the a 65 mm TB?

Otherwise you can always swap in a larger one, you just have to tune in new MAF tables for it to work.
    LOL
    Car's mods include:
    1995 Camaro 3.4L V-6
    SunCoast hood w functional Ram Air Box
    19lb Ford fuel injectors
    Holley Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
    MSD Dual Connector Coil
    Truleo Intake
    65mm Ford Throttle body
    ported & polished: Lower runners (Intake Base), & heads.
    Reed Cam: TM276/282H12A2 (223/228 w/ 471/480 lift on 112 int C/L is 108)
    ASP Underdrive crank pulley
    PF&E 304 stainless headers
    Custom 2.5 to 3in y-pipe (All exhaust Mandrel Bent) W/ no cat
    3in Flowmaster American Thunder mandrel bent catback system
    160 degree thermostat w/ Hypertech fan switch
    TransGo shift kit
    Neal Racing Transmissions 2800 stall converter
    TCI transmission cooler
    Neal Racing Transmissions Performance 700r4 rebuild with all the goodies

New heads (untested) 1.6 roller tip rockers, extreme port and polish w shark finned vane, chevy 350 springs with modified spring seats, and a multiangle valve job. The plan is, if possible, to have them and my extreme lower ported intake bench flowed just to see. Then I will go from there. want to fix all the possible bottle necks and get a tune so I can see what the darn car can really do!

i tought i rememberd you from tgo, how does the truelo intake work out for your car?
    Quote Originally Posted by oltorftd View Post
    Boobs just kind of go straight to the not-grown-up part of the male brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jore Knight View Post
    i tought i rememberd you from tgo, how does the truelo intake work out for your car?
    Yep that's the question I wanted to avoid... LOL... I gave me 37ish ftlbs of tq to the wheels, but the hp... 2ish. I know its due to the fact the car was untuned... it has a 2800 stall... and the head was cracked. I just did not need that dyno run killing Truleo's shot at offering a great product.

I needed to get the car back right and be able to say... ok here is the number without the truleo, with the truleo untuned, and now with it tuned with the truleo. The darn heads really kinked things up. Because the freaking head was cracked we decided on taking the car one step further with the new heads... then that started the" while this is apart lets do that" game. So in the end the car was apart, I lost my best friend over the whole thing, then my job while I waited for a shop to fix the paint in the engine bay... UGH

Now I'm waiting to make my car money back that got spent on everything else while I was unemployed
    Last edited by redraif; 11-10-2010 at 09:11 AM.

had someone on third gen tell me: "The computer swap isn't exactly avoidable if you're looking to change from your stock MAF. Problem with the stock system is that the MAF doesn't put out a voltage signal, but a frequency signal instead (digital MAF, not analog like most of the market has). You would either want to swap to a 165 from a TPI car or swap to a speed density system if you want more air flow.....The 165 is a TPI ECM. The 60* got the digital MAF across the board, while everything else with a MAF got the analog (AFAIK, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think everything else got an analog MAF, and most of them are no bigger than the one you have."

Yes/no?

I have no idea about the digital vs analog question. I did look up the MAF for the V6 vs the V8 and they are different part numbers, however it seems they are both the same diameter, 3.125"

If a MAF of this size is not a restriction for a 5.7 engine it leads me to question whether you really need a larger one? It is already bigger than your throttle body. (79mm vs 65mm)
    Zahn

2009 CTS4 3.6 LLT
    2012 SRX4 3.6 LFX
    2001 Ranger 4.0 XLT
    2000 GrandAm 3.4 GT
    1994 Firebird 3.4 SOLD

Honestly i assumed the v-6 was smaller then 65mm... I don't have access to the car or maf presently. I was going by pics... the maf looked smaller then the tb in the pics for some reason. I was assuming it might be part of my hp bottleneck... the stock maf is 79mm for the 2.8... dang...

That's according to Advance
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

Well NM, looks like the Advance info is incorrect. This post on TGO indicates that the 2.8 housing is smaller and does in fact use a digital MAF whereas the 86-89 TPI are analog. However it appears you may be able to use the 85 TPI MAF as it has the same electronics?

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/po...46-post12.html
    Zahn

2009 CTS4 3.6 LLT
    2012 SRX4 3.6 LFX
    2001 Ranger 4.0 XLT
    2000 GrandAm 3.4 GT
    1994 Firebird 3.4 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by FunkZ View Post
    That's according to Advance
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

Well NM, looks like the Advance info is incorrect. This post on TGO indicates that the 2.8 housing is smaller and does in fact use a digital MAF whereas the 86-89 TPI are analog. However it appears you may be able to use the 85 TPI MAF as it has the same electronics?

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/po...46-post12.html
    cool thank you for the info... I will be reading it all!

so I checked a stock maf I had in the attic... its just under 70mm... plus it has all the electronics and the cone taking up space. With the 65mm tb... I was coming real close to a bigger diameter... gonna pull some measurements off the truleo and see about its volume. Mine was a bit different that all the rest to get it to fit in the car... the neck is 70mm and the body is oval... so I want to cover all my bases! can't hurt to have a larger capacity maf

Any pics of the tb on the car?
    www.fquick.com/socom

Cars Currently in the garage:

• 1993 Camaro V6
    • 1969 Z/28 Camaro
    • 1996 Impala SS
    • RIP 2004 Silverado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast