Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: WarShrike's Project Thread

Full Throttle
    Im sure ive said it before, but that car is bitchin. It is like the flagship of DIY 3800 modding on F-bodys. You sir give hope to those who have none.
    "I Am America (And So Can You)." ~Stephen Colbert~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So a month ago, I hit some nasty, nasty debris on the highway. Didn't have anywhere to go (sandwiched in with traffic) and the danger wasn't quite apparent until all hell broke loose.

At first, I thought it was a pair of ratty blue jeans, and then it sounded like everything exploded under me. Lo and behold, that ratty blue jean was a strap, attached to a tie-down hook. It punched through the barrel of my driver's side rear wheel and left me sidelined. New wheel was ordered and a replacement tire had to be ordered (thank goodness for road hazard warranty).

I walked a mile back and picked up the piece of debris so nobody else would run over it. Hitting this damnable piece at 70mph was not the way I wanted to end my day. Crazy thing is a month or so prior, somebody was killed while passing through town when a receiver hitch and ball went through their windshield. This wouldn't have been any exception to the rule, so I was pretty pissed at somebody's negligence.

Everything else is good under the car, I needed a change of pants, that's for certain.

The wheels are a flow-formed set, and I've got a sneaking feeling that if I had gone with cast reproduction Corvette wheels like every f-body owner on the planet, that wheel would have disintegrated. I was able to come to a safe and controlled stop and wasn't in much danger outside of the rear end of the car going airborne. I had to retighten the watts link setup as well.

Because of this turn of events, I didn't get to run the last auto-x event of our season here, so I was a bit saddened since I didn't have track tires yet or the final dynotune completed. Anyway, I figured I'd get my "big boy camera" out and take some pics, I'm super rusty and always pressed for time. It's an older rig with a regular kit lens so it's not super flashy. I feel the pics came out good though.

Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Light Throttle
    Glad it was just a wheel and tire vs. anything else. Parts are easy to come by personal injury is not fun. Happy to hear you are back up and running.

So no more runnin'... Namrepus28's Avatar
    Wow. That sounds terrifying. Glad everything is okay and already on its way to being sorted out.

I really like what you did there with the transparent hood picture. Very cool.
    -Derek- *Canada Forum Mod*
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4
    2006 VW Jetta 1.9L TDI M5
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidCamaro View Post
    "Cheat on her?! What do you think I am, some kind of an asshole?!"

Here's one of the reasons why I had the car parked at the house all fancy:

My neighbor thought I was working on something to sell the car
    2000 Firebird

This was a long time coming...

2000 Firebird

How much timing are you running on top? That's some good numbers.

I'd have to look again, it was something like 25 ish but have been tuning other cars since then.

Finally have the dyno sheet scanned. I'll mess with the intake stuff later, busy with a lot of other things, new job (working two jobs, transitioning out of the old one), about to have a new addition to the family, etc.

2000 Firebird

Got my "trackday, bro!" wheels/tires mounted.

Here's hoping I can cut loose for the CAM invitational at Mineral Wells towards the end of June.

2000 Firebird

Got some more stuff done on the car, alignment is finished and ran it with the track day wheel set to make sure nothing interfered.

New helmet, just a budget setup, we also have some open cockpit cars come into the shop so this might come in handy.

SKF hub adapters so I can upgrade the front hubs to something safer with sticky tires. There are quite few documented failures of stock hubs and replacements are dodgy as is.

Replaced the stock rack with an FE4 rebuilt setup. I didn't feel like trying to do the EPAS setup because a manual rack alone for the fbody is stupid expensive.

2000 Firebird

Hawt....

Many of yall might have noticed a large portion of photobucket images are now dead due to changes in their TOS for free third party hosting (which is what they have been this whole time).

Until I get this stuff straightened out, I've still got a facebook page I post to regularly as well: www.facebook.com/ProjectSturmvogel
    2000 Firebird

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718