+ Reply to Thread
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BlitzKrieg0212 Steam ID: mckacdc@yahoo.com

routing serpentine belt without a/c

is there some special tensioner pulley that needs to be on there when youre trying to bypass the a/c?? i went and bought a belt that was for "non-a/c". but its only like 6" shorter than the regular belt.

background:
    my a/c compressor took a crap. it makes this grinding/squeeling noise now.

i just want to bypass that compressor pulley until i can get it replaced.
    -James | Sports Arena Moderator
    07 BMW 335i - stock
    96 Pontiac Firebird - mods

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FloydSummerOf68 Steam ID: FloydSummerOf68
    I dunno, you could always just measure out what length belt you need with a piece of string and then get one that way.
    Shawn
    '07 C6: 600rwhp
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post
    I dunno, you could always just measure out what length belt you need with a piece of string and then get one that way.
    yup I did the same string thing with the wifes car till I could get a new a/c compresser. Yeah I think it's called an a/c delete pulley.
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

I run a larger tensioner pulley, and have my belt routed a little different. To do this you have to do a little modification. There's a plastic cover behind the harmonic balancer, attaches to some extended tops on a few bolts. Down on the pass. side, you have to cut the cover, and cut the top off the bolt. All can be done without pulling the balancer, I went several thousand miles without that mount for the plastic cover, and I see no signs of rubbing (have it off right now). The larger tensioner pulley is only because even after trying many different belts, since it's at the end of it's throw, the larger pulley lets you get the belt tighter. I was having issues with it jumping off a groove before hand.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Gamer IDs

so i finally found this old thread http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...erpentine+belt

on the first search, i had several threads that said to look at it, but couldnt find it at first.

anyways, where the hell can i get a 60.5" belt and is that even the right size i need? o'reilly's had a 59 3/4", 60", 60 3/8", 61 1/4". and autozone looked at me stupid because they couldnt just go into their computer and look up one...
    i ended up buying what i thought was bigger than the 60 3/8 one. didnt have a length on it and it seemed longer, i was like sweet maybe its a 60 1/2". well, that one wasnt even close to fitting.
    07 BMW 335i - stock

I don't like that way, the tensioner is at the end of it's reach as it is. Mine lets it use more of it's throw. I'm trying to find the Part # for the belt, but I think I put it in the what you did to your car today thread, so it's probably gone. I know I posted it somewhere else, but where......

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Gamer IDs

im not trying to have to modify anything, just want to buy a belt and put it on. so your way is pretty much out. im not leaving it that way permanently, just for a couple months til i can save enough to get the a/c fixed.
    07 BMW 335i - stock

Just make sure you get the belt as tight as you can, it'll jump if you don't, shred, and might come off. No belt, no water pump, so yeah, lol. They sell them in .5" increments I think, and the part # actually tells you the size. Go to a carquest or napa and find a counter guy that's an old guy, he'll understand what you're doing and be able to actually help, lol.

-Steve
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Just make sure you get the belt as tight as you can, it'll jump if you don't, shred, and might come off. No belt, no water pump, so yeah, lol. They sell them in .5" increments I think, and the part # actually tells you the size. Go to a carquest or napa and find a counter guy that's an old guy, he'll understand what you're doing and be able to actually help, lol.
    Yeah autozone sucks! I never go there. Advance is a little better. But napa they worked on cars once or twice in their life.
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SparkyJJO

Quote Originally Posted by hevymetalg View Post
    Yeah autozone sucks! I never go there. Advance is a little better. But napa they worked on cars once or twice in their life.
    Guess it depends on where you're at. My autozone generally is pretty good. So is my advance auto.

The O'Reilly's around here, not so much.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4, Mystic Teal Metallic. Cammed, headers. Stranos and Bilsteins, Founders LCAs, relo brackets, and adj. panhard. BLS + 5000k HID.
    2002 Trailblazer LS 4.2L 4x4, Forest Green Metallic and rusty brown two-tone. Lifted.

Gamer IDs

so 60.5" belt huh?? apparently the belt i just bought was 60.75" and i dont see how it could have fit on there
    and no one around here has a 60.5" so i can see if its the right one.
    07 BMW 335i - stock

+ Reply to Thread