Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan Switch Question

Fan Switch Question

Does the high/low cables on coming out of the CPU have current constantly running through? Ive read the write up on how to make your own fan switch and it says to splice directly from the cables coming out and then connecting them to a 3 point switch. would it still have power?

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    My Music- firebird95driver.bandcamp.com
    Daniel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    Why? What's the problem? You can get it tuned to kick on at whatever temp. You would like? Do go hackin up the wires.
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

And? What's your point? White94Bird's Avatar
    IDK if his is a 3.4 or not but when I had my 3.4 I always wanted a fan switch so when I was in traffic i could turn the fan on to keep it cool. I never liked seeing my gauge rise.
    1998 Trans Am NBM-SLP Lid/Pacesetter LTs/ORY-Borla CB
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado Texas Edition
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

ya ive got the 3.4. the write up says to splice directly into the blue and green high/low wires and then send the spliced wires to a two way switch and then ground it. but wouldnt it need voltage from the battery or something or does it already have current running through it?

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    5-speed. Flowmaster muffler. CAI. Underdrive crank pulley. !A/C. TB Coolant Bypass. Holley Adjustable FPR. Proshaft One-piece Aluminum Driveshaft. So it's pretty much stock.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

i would get it tuned but i think im gonna wait for a plug and play PCM that i can use TunerPro or whatever that program is. well first i wanna learn how to even tune.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

The 3.4 doesn't have a high and low setting its just one speed.
    You need just a simple on and off switch.
    I asked this same question on time when I still had my 3.4 and this is what I was told:

1. Mount switch.

2. run 2 wires from the switch (ground one of them anywhere there is a good ground) and tap the other wire into the green wire labeled "J" on the passenger side wire harness coming from the ECM.

Btw, you can run the wires easily through the grommet behind the ECM, so you do NOT have to drill a hole. oh and the way i have just described your fan will turn off when your car does, so it's ok if you forget.
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by gbabyfoo321 View Post
    i would get it tuned but i think im gonna wait for a plug and play PCM that i can use TunerPro or whatever that program is. well first i wanna learn how to even tune.
    just hot wire the fans to just run all the time till you get a tune. Don't splice the computer wires that's messy. Just post In your region your problem and I'm sure someone will help you out and tune it for you.
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

well i dont plan on tuning until maybe someday when i get a turbo and a yob. also, this splice/hack thing sounds pretty fun and simple.

Whitebird, so when you switch it to on it draws power through the ecm?how long did it take?

if so, i might be doing this this weekend and installing a 180* thermostat.

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Your not splicing into the hot wires, your tapping into the grounds. The switch allows you to manually ground the hi or low fans to turn them on.

I had the fan switch under the hood to use at the track. I was afraid if I had it in the car I might accidently leave them on and kill the battery.

hevymetalg - He has a 3.4, I don't think there is anything he can tune the pcm with to change the fan settings.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
    Your not splicing into the hot wires, your tapping into the grounds. The switch allows you to manually ground the hi or low fans to turn them on.

I had the fan switch under the hood to use at the track. I was afraid if I had it in the car I might accidently leave them on and kill the battery.

hevymetalg - He has a 3.4, I don't think there is anything he can tune the pcm with to change the fan settings.
    Oh! I just think everyone has a 98+ car lol! What tells his fan to kick on then?

The way I said you can't draw the battery.
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

so basically all i have to do is find J wire, splice, run a wire to the ON switch, and ground it and its all set? sounds a lot simpler than i was making it out to be

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

Yes sir!!
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

so which exactly is the J wire? is there a wire diagram or something?

95 Firebird 3.4L V6.
    -Wishlist-
    *Twin Turbos*
    *6-speed Trans*
    Daniel

I guess look in a haynes manual because I never made it that far, just take a look in the loom as well..
    1994 Firebird (SOLD)
    Daniel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast