Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Cross Reference for our 3800's? and cheapest place to buy more filters?

Oil Filter Cross Reference for our 3800's? and cheapest place to buy more filters?

My first question is what other filters fit on our cars? I searched a few times on this forum to find nothing. I'm curious if there are larger filters out there that still fit out cars? I'd also like to see the price difference between another filter that fits and the 3387. I currently have been using the XG3387A from Fram. Don't say Frams suck because these ones don't. The extended guard filters are great and well made. (BISOG website has proven so by cutting them and others open).

Next question is where do you buy your filters and if you know of a cheaper place, like online? I have been looking at local places that have sales, nothing on the extended guard filters, local discount stores like Brand Name Deals and such which turned out none of my filters were their. Also looked online at a bunch of places and all are more expensive the Walmart so I have just been buying them from there.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/nismo10/sig1.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i think wally world has the best prices. thats where i usually get my stuff.

i know that there is some kinda truck filter that fits on ours. i cant remember what kinda truck it was though...
    1997 Camaro - sold
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Get the filter size for a 4.3 s10 blazer that is what I use.

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    frams do suck. they haven't been good in years there. are tons of annalists all over the web about the card board internals and plastic check valves that commonly fail prematurely and that is just their regular filter, the trick high mileage ones and stuff have gunk in them to attempt to do god knows what. cut a brand new one open and you will see what i'm talking about.

If you want to create oil pressure and/or starvation problems go a head run fram filters.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

The s10 filters fit. I also found that a filter off a 4.7L Tundra fits as well, just noticed that since I used to work for Toyota and got bored one day, lol.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGTP View Post
    frams do suck. they haven't been good in years there. are tons of annalists all over the web about the card board internals and plastic check valves that commonly fail prematurely and that is just their regular filter, the trick high mileage ones and stuff have gunk in them to attempt to do god knows what. cut a brand new one open and you will see what i'm talking about.

If you want to create oil pressure and/or starvation problems go a head run fram filters.
    Check out the Extended Guard filters, not crappy at all. BISOG has a great cut away of many brands of filters for comparison. These ones are very well built, the others, yes they aren't good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillaz View Post
    Get the filter size for a 4.3 s10 blazer that is what I use.
    Thanks! I did some searching on Fram's website. It says the Blazer 4.3l V6 can use either our 3387 (for the 2wd model) or the 3980 (for the 4wd model).

The specs for a XG3387A filter is:
    Height: 3.36"
    Outer Diameter: 2.98"
    Threading: 18mm x 1.5mm

The specs for a XG3980 filter is:
    Height: 4.98"
    Outer Diameter: 2.98"
    Threading: 18mm x 1.5mm

That's a little more than an inch and a half more filter... I'm not too smart but at lets say 3" diameter and 1.5" in height. Not sure how much more fluid that adds but my reasoning for asking is both a bigger oil capacity and maybe the Blazer filter is cheaper, though I doubt it because everything uses the 3387's it seems.

The Tundra filter is a XG3614. It fits I'm sure but seems a bit off. It has 19mm x 1.6mm threads according to their site. It also has the same outer diameter of 2.98" but is only marginally larger at 3.34" in height.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    The s10 filters fit. I also found that a filter off a 4.7L Tundra fits as well, just noticed that since I used to work for Toyota and got bored one day, lol.

AC Delco PF52. Make sure the core is metal and not plastic. Sometimes Wal-Mart gets shipmets with plastic cores.
    Lee

trust me on this, i've done enough oiling research on these engines and probably have the most modified oiling system in 3800 existence. If you like toasting your bearings and scouring other hard parts then go ahead and run fram oil filters. they don't flow very well compared to some of the other filters out there, most models use the plastic drain back valves, all units are packed with cardboard.

don't believe me check out these links.
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

you may also want to spend some time on here as well
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

the extended guard filter is just the latest twist to a crap filter. run a quality filter. as mentioned above by norton, if you buy an ac delco check it for the metal core. the one filter break down i posted above looks at the ac delco plastic core unit.

long story short, fram filters cause starvation and pressure problems. it isn't worth the risk to my motor.
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGTP View Post
    trust me on this, i've done enough oiling research on these engines and probably have the most modified oiling system in 3800 existence. If you like toasting your bearings and scouring other hard parts then go ahead and run fram oil filters. they don't flow very well compared to some of the other filters out there, most models use the plastic drain back valves, all units are packed with cardboard.

don't believe me check out these links.
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html

you may also want to spend some time on here as well
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

the extended guard filter is just the latest twist to a crap filter. run a quality filter. as mentioned above by norton, if you buy an ac delco check it for the metal core. the one filter break down i posted above looks at the ac delco plastic core unit.

long story short, fram filters cause starvation and pressure problems. it isn't worth the risk to my motor.
    BISOG is bobistheoilguy.com. That's where I am getting all my info. There are multiple threads and cut sways of the extended guard filter and they all say it's great.
    Your links you provided aren't up to date and whoever typed that didnt look at the extended guard, only the other Fram filters which I already acknowledged are crappy. I bet you would be suprised with this filter if you check out bobistheoilguy.com
    Last edited by TooFast3800; 09-17-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFast3800 View Post
    BISOG is bobistheoilguy.com. That's where I am getting all my info. There are multiple threads and cut sways of the extended guard filter and they all say it's great.
    Your links you provided aren't up to date and whoever typed that didnt look at the extended guard, only the other Fram filters which I already acknowledged are crappy. I bet you would be suprised with this filter if you check out bobistheoilguy.com
    i never said that the other 2 filter write ups covered that filter, i just said to take a look at these write ups as they cover damn near every filter on the market. i may pick up one of these extended guard filter and cut open just to humor myself, but i don't expect much from any fram oil filter. even if i will NOT be running one on my 3800 and thats only because my gtp uses a bmw element filter as i have a e38/e39 m62/m62tu oil filter housing. the filter i use is 3 times the size of a pf47 style filter and the canister holds an extra qt of oil. what i'm trying to get at is that you get what you pay for and as it is the oiling system in these cars is touchy.
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

can I just put my .02 here. The simplest sentence to say about this is you get what you pay for, in this case, fram is crappier then worth it, the only reason why they have anybody buy them is the same idiots who come into my store and ask if we sell brakes ( NAPA) They see a commercial on TV and say HEY!, that company must be good if they can show an ad on TV. IMO, go with a Wix/NAPA Gold Filter, best bang for your buck. If you truely care about your engine and filtration, then price should come second. I run a 1036 NAPA gold, which is the S10 style filter, and I've never looked back. Stop wasting your time with backing FRAM up, they build the internals all the same on them, just the XG's have a more refined micron filtration, but that wont matter when the cardboard bursts, sending all that crap into the engine.

If you don't want to spend a few dollars more for more protection, AC Delco filters should be next on your list, then Purolator, etc....with FRAM at teh bottom of that.

Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, and Walmart sell them for a reason, its a brand you heard of, and its cheap, which is what those stores are designed for, the DIY that doesnt want all the bells ands Whistle, just wants a filter, but dont want a no namer, but since they saw a FRAM ad, they feel comfortable and compelled to buy it. NAPA corporate stores ( not franchise, thats different) Only sell Wix/NAPA filters for cars/trucks. why? cause we know they are actually quality filters that wont let you down when shit hits the fan.

The napa gold filters with the black case are just Wix filters right? Always been a wix fan. I run Fram on my Buick though, just because it's the DD. But I will say it's spotless inside still, even after running the cheapest oil and filter we can find for over 100k miles. I just change it every 3k religiously.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    The napa gold filters with the black case are just Wix filters right? Always been a wix fan.
    That's correct. We use almost the same Wix numbers, just lob off the first number. like if it's 51069, NAPA gold is 1069, NASCAR (midgrade) is 91069, and our base Silver filters are 21069. If running Synthetic, run only the Gold or NASCAR for optimum filtration. the base filters dont have the spin flow technology, and if your goign to spend that kind of dough for synthetic, spend a few more dollars and get the Best filter.

Quote Originally Posted by LNorton View Post
    AC Delco PF52. Make sure the core is metal and not plastic. Sometimes Wal-Mart gets shipmets with plastic cores.
    Plastic cores should be labeled PF52E now, and the metal ones are PF52. Oreilly's here carries the E's, and Autozone runs the metallic cores. Guess where I spend my money?
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast