Thread: Remove 5speed transmission without Bellhousing on a 99 v6 camaro?

Remove 5speed transmission without Bellhousing on a 99 v6 camaro?

Well Got a buddies 99 v6 camaro and it seems like the slave cyl. is shot. Well I did a clutch on this thing about 3 years ago and it was a total pain to remove the top pass side bolt out of the bell housing and Im at the point of where I will probable pull the motor and trans as 1 rather than drop just the trans.

But I was wondering if I can pull the bolts out of the trans and leave the bellhousing bolted to the motor to give me bunch of extra room to get to the pain in the ass bellhousing bolts off. if not then im pulling all of it out as one, and putting the new tubular cross member in too.

One day this thing is gona get turboed too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4
    1990 crx NON-VTEC B18a1 To4E 40trim running 20lbs on pump 296hp/289tq

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pull the trans and then the bell housing. I thought this is how everyone did it?
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

Can't do it on a six banger, I'd be happy as a clam if I could Can't due to design of the slave, sucks.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Constantly Overachieving Merlin's Avatar
    slave sticks through the bellhousing and you couldnt pull it back far enough to remove the input shaft from the clutch.

sorry.
    Justin

GMC Sierra 2008
    Yamaha V-Star 1100 2003

For more information about the L67 swap into an F-body, please click here

well looks like I will be pulling the whole shit and shebang out

Quote Originally Posted by ratcityrex View Post
    well looks like I will be pulling the whole shit and shebang out

That's a lot of work just for one bolt. I've pulled my tranny more than i care to share. It's not worth it to pull the motor and tranny just to get at teh passenger side bolt. I use the closed side of a box wrench (one with a small degree bend in it) to get at that bolt, it's really fairly easy if you use the right tool. You can also use a lot of extentions and an angle socket, be sure to use a breaker bar if you do it this way.
    Patrick
    10 factory five GTM 1097 RWHP
    03 Audi A4 1.8T (my DD)
    07 Z71 4x4 Silver Avalanche LT3 (wife's DD) Intake/exhaust and tuned!
    97 Mystic Teal Camaro (retired) Click for Mods 649RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Linxs View Post
    That's a lot of work just for one bolt. I've pulled my tranny more than i care to share. It's not worth it to pull the motor and tranny just to get at teh passenger side bolt. I use the closed side of a box wrench (one with a small degree bend in it) to get at that bolt, it's really fairly easy if you use the right tool. You can also use a lot of extentions and an angle socket, be sure to use a breaker bar if you do it this way.

Well I will get out the torch and cut and reweld a closed end wrench and see how that goes. Worst comes to worst I will pull the whole thing, I would like to pull the whole thing too just to for mock up reason of the turbo stuff, and the new cross member.

So I take it that the slave cyl bolts to the center of the transmission face, and NOT to the bellhousing? Or dose it bolt through the bellhousing into the face of the transmission?

Wink

Oh btw, does anyone have a service manual in pdf form that they could email/pm me a link too? Or somewhere online I could download it from? Possibly for free??

It bolts to the trans, and the hydralics go out through the bell housing.

Either disconnect the slave, or I'm trying to remember the trick to unbolting the slave without disconnecting it.

I think it was to unbolt the bellhousing, pull the trans back a little then use a swival socket and a extension to unbolt the slave.

Whatever you do, don't use a 3' 3/8 inch extension to try to break the top bell housing bolts free. I still have a scar on my arm from that fail. I ended up buying 3 11 inch 1/2 inch extenstions after that.

If you disconnect the slave: bleeding the slave takes like 5 mins, and if your not replacing the slave you can probably get away without having to bleed it thanks to the quick connect.

<edit> fully reading thread fail on my part....

Just disconnect the quick connect on the slave... Two small screw drivers and about 2 minutes. Since you have to do it anyways.
    Last edited by Seppo; 06-23-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

thanks, why cant it be just as easy as my honda.....lol It uses a cable, no hydo here....

I can pull my trans in my honda in 45min, with no air tools. Lets just say ive done it way to many times....lol

I'm having a huge problem with that same bolt. Being the console goes over that area anyway, why not just cut out a portion out of the floor for an access door? This way, if you have to do it again you get a straight (or a straighter) shot at the bolt. I'm only thinking about that now because I broke a Craftsman 1/2 universal joint trying to remove that bolt.

Also, how the heck do you get the hydraulic clutch line to unplug from the slave? I've googled it, called a transmission guy and everyone says you just push in the white plastic sleeve. Well, I can't even get the plastic sleeve to push in at all. I tried a screw driver, I bought a special tool and I've screwed with that thing for an entire day and nothing! I borrowed a different tool, and couldn't get it to push that sleeve in.

I take that back, I did get it to push in about 1/16 of an inch at best. When I got that to happen I wound up breaking off the entire gold colored piece off on accident! I called and ordered a hydraluic line and slave....what a joke! I want to know:

1). What sort of horses @$$ designed this (because I would like to punch him in the head)?

2). Should I just use a hack saw and cut off that gold end? How long does the hydraulic line go into the clutch slave recepticle?

To replace the slave is about $50...to replace the 18 inch hydraulic line is $160...WTF?!?

I'm ready to drive this stupid car off a cliff?
    Last edited by Doc-Z; 08-31-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    YOU ONLY GET TO PICK 2:
    * * FAST * * * RELIABLE * * * CHEAP * *

ZZP U/D H2O * ZZP 10% U/D Alt. * NGK V * Centerforce dual-frict. * SLP Loudmouth I * 1LE Alum. D/S * Alum. Diff. Cover * WS6 Sway's * Moog End Links
    BMR Trailing Arms * BMR Reloc. T/A brackets