Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V6 to V8 cluster - does it work?

V6 to V8 cluster - does it work?

Curious if putting a V8 cluster in our cars is just plug-n-play or not. I know the oil PSI numbers are different, and the tach redline is a little different, but other than that, will the gauges work right? Like will the 165mph speedometer read correctly?

I would like to try and get in on the last 6LE overlay GP but not sure if limiting myself to a 125mph cluster is a smart idea. Granted, I won't hit that fast at the drag strip yet but in the future down the road I might or maybe if I was to race the car on a course or something
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4. Cammed, so kind of fast.
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No. V8 cluster gets different signal.
    2004 BS G35 sedan 5AT

Quote Originally Posted by bene View Post
    No. V8 cluster gets different signal.
    Mine worked just fine? Oil pressure doesn't read right but the rest works fine in mine.
    ~Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by evilkal View Post
    Mine worked just fine? Oil pressure doesn't read right but the rest works fine in mine.
    It might work but it doesn't mean it works right. Have you confirmed that you're getting accurate reading?

Edit:

Here is what ZexGx commented about his swap but I'm not too sure if it pertains to you.

They say the tachometer and speedometer are off and that the oil PSI and coolant temp readings are off. This may be true depending on what year your target vehicle is. My '99 V6 Bird cluster works 100% fine (needles are all where they are supposed to be) with a 01 LS1 and 01 LS1 fuel system installed. What they mean by readings inaccurate are the oil PSI having a different number printed onto the cluster overlay. The tachometer may also be inaccurate around the redline area. My speedometer seems to be working fine (within 3-5MPH) and the 3-5MPH variation is likely due to the PCM being tuned for 3.23 gears and not the 3.42 gears I have.
    Last edited by bene; 04-07-2010 at 01:53 AM.
    2004 BS G35 sedan 5AT

6LE said that aside from the markings being off on the oil PSI and tach redline and such, it should work fine. Of course if I'm getting a 6LE overlay, that stuff can be accounted for and adjusted appropriately on the new overlay.

So.. as long as the speedometer will work properly through the whole range to 165 (or is it 155 I forget) then I'd be good. Wonder if there is anyone around nearby with a V8 that would mind temp swapping to see if it works in my car or not
    - Jared
    2007.5 Silverado LT Z71 5.3L 4x4. Slight lift, bigger-ish tires, not a slouch but slower than the car.

correct me if im off but why cant you keep your cluster and just buy a v8 cluster overlay so it looks like you have the v8 cluster but all your gauges will work properly

Because the speedometer will still only go to 125. The only reason I'd want a V8 cluster is for the higher range speedometer.
    - Jared

My speedometer is accurate the only thing that's off is the tach redline and the oil pressure... So YES, as I said, mine works just fine.

1999 model btw. 1997 and up should work interchangeably with each other.

EDIT:::

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Because the speedometer will still only go to 125. The only reason I'd want a V8 cluster is for the higher range speedometer.
    Speedo will work just fine in your 98 as long as you use an LS1 gauge cluster.
    Last edited by evilkal; 04-07-2010 at 03:24 PM.
    ~Ryan

Sweet.

I guess the downside is the odo will no longer be correct, but eh the only thing that the odo reads properly for is the chassis and transmission

So... now I'm having second thoughts. Is it really worth it...
    - Jared

Not really... Mine serves no real purpose other than seeing more numbers lol.
    ~Ryan

Yeah I'm thinking what are the odds of me going faster than 125 in the 1/4" ? Million to one probably, since I'm not looking to make this some insane drag car.
    - Jared

I'd like to exceed it someday, but not on the dragstrip, moreso at Bonneville.

-Steve
    1996 Camaro, in progress: mild 5.3, TH400, T6 S475, 8.50 chassis cert...
    1993 K1500 W/T
    1985 Yamaha FJ1100
    1979 Suzuki GS550E (cafe racer)

Going to bump this since I have a similar question. About the tachometer difference... how far off does the tach usually range? I'm looking at taking advantage of 6LE's last group purchase and getting an LS1 overlay to use on my stock V6 cluster (to retain original mileage and hopefully save some money) for a potential swap in the near future. Oil pressure won't be an issue since it'll be correct once the V8 is in, but is there a way to tune or correct the tach difference? I'm looking at using a T56 and would like to have the correct tach reading for peace of mind.

For sake of keeping this simple without differing year variables, assume that the PCM and harness will be from the same year car (1999).
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

The tach itself is correct in regards to its movement. What is not correct is the printed redline. You can't use a V8 overlay on a V6 cluster because the V6 cluster is calibrated for the 120MPH top speed, not the 150/160 top speed. The cluster receives a VSS signal and interprets that based on what it is calibrated to. Speedometer recalibration services usually cost quite a bit, but you should check locally to get some quotes. 6LE's 200MPH gauge overlay relies on somebody recalibrating the cluster itself.

Also, clusters are only interchangeable within these years: 94-97(??), 98, and 99-02.
    99-01 cluster won't work on 93-97, 98 won't work on 99-01 or 93-97, etc.

Cliff notes:
    V8 cluster works in a V6 car, printed numbers may be off, but the important things like the speedometer and tachometer will work correctly as long as yo follow the correct year interchangeability.
    Last edited by ZexGX; 04-23-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    Dude, if you could make money sitting on the internet with your dick in your hand, this board would be populated by millionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by ZexGX
    You can't use a V8 overlay on a V6 cluster because the V6 cluster is calibrated for the 120MPH top speed, not the 150/160 top speed. The cluster receives a VSS signal and interprets that based on what it is calibrated to. Speedometer recalibration services usually cost quite a bit, but you should check locally to get some quotes. 6LE's 200MPH gauge overlay relies on somebody recalibrating the cluster itself.
    I knew I was forgetting something... what I get for these late night ideas. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the correct LS1 cluster.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast