Thread: What to do?

What to do?

I have lurked here for quite a while and got many ideas when I had questions about my grand prix(son has it now).

I have a 2005 Impala 3.4l 160k miles with a tranny that is going bad(known issue). The car is in awesome shape other than the high mileage and the trans issue.

Should I replace the trans with something used from ebay or local yard?
    Should I do a engine/trans swap and go with a supercharged 3.8?
    Should I just get rid of the thing and try something else?

I would like to do the supercharged 3.8 swap but that will be fairly expensive and I'm not entirely sure of all the oter details I would need to take into account.

Anyone know what would be involved with the whole swap thing or have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

the 3.8sc is one hell of a swap (work req'd wise) if you plan on keeping the car
    www.tripleedgeperformance.com

the 3.8sc is one hell of a swap (work req'd wise) if you plan on keeping the car
    Engine/trans/wiring harness/pcm/exhaust/axles/maybe the radiator?
    What else do you think would be required? I know the model also came with a 3800 so it will fit no problem, the sc shouldn't be that big of a deal should it?

If the car was not in perfect condition I wouldn't bother.
    I can do a lot of mods for the cost of trading it in on something else that may have issues as well. a new trans would be expensive and I need a project(like a hole in the head).

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    if you really want to hang on to the car for a bit i would put a bone yard trans in it. try lkq they offer one of the best boneyard warranties at 6 months, and you can upgrade it to a year. i would just stick with the 6 month one though with that kind of mileage on a car that is only 5 years old. sounds as if you drive the hell out of the car and at that rate it probably only has a self life of a couple more years at the most.

Make sure you at minimum flush out the trans cooler that is part of the radiator so all the crap from the bad trans doesn't hurt the new one. You could even go as far as getting a new radiator for it.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

put a bone yard trans in it.
    That makes the most sense. I knew what the reasonable answer was but was just kicking around some ideas. I will have to see if I can find a trans that doesn't have the same issues. The cooler flush is a good idea also.
    Thanks ,
    Bob

Keep the motor you got. You don't HAVE to do an L67 swap to have some fun with the Imp. There is a whole mess if things you can do with the LA1. The website WOT-Tech.com is a great source of parts, and talk to John (Forced_Firebird) about headers and top swaps, or even going a full LX9 motor swap in the future. Either way, it's not worth an engine swap when there's plenty to do with the LA1 in there already. With minimum of mods, the LA1 takes boost pretty nicely.
    -Chris-
    2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT - LA1
    2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES - 4G64
    HELLASTOCK