+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

engine sputters under acceleration...

I've been having trouble with the engine sputtering when i step on the gas. whether its part throttle or full throttle. I recently changed the fuel filter and my problems went away for almost a week. now they're back. any suggestions?
    73 Nova HB Pro touring with '69 front and rear clip.

'98 camaro stock v6. 177,200 miles, daily driver

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

have u cleaned your injectors?

you should have your local muffler shop check ur cat. It sounds like its clogged i had that problem wit my 2000

if its a clogged cat he shouldnt be able to go over a certain mph. before you do that i would put a can of seafoam in your gas tank, check your spark plugs, plug wires, and coil packs. then id start looking into more expensive tihngs.
    1997 Camaro - sitting in the garage indefinitely
    2013 WRX - the awd DD

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SparkyJJO

I had a bad coil pack cause that.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4, Mystic Teal Metallic. Cammed, headers. Stranos and Bilsteins, Founders LCAs, relo brackets, and adj. panhard. BLS + 5000k HID.
    2002 Trailblazer LS 4.2L 4x4, Forest Green Metallic and Herculiner Black two tone. Lifted.

If his cat is messed up on the inside the car will sputter for a while before it finally fails and keeps him from getting above 15-20 mph.

are you getting a CEL? i had a simular problem turned out to be a coil pack but, checking ur flow through the cat would be a good shot also.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/DFE-Shooter/sig-1.jpg
    she's canadian but i still love her!

Full Throttle Extreme! 96firephoenix's Avatar
    Indianapolis, IN/Steubenville, OH for school
    check your PCV control line. I had the same problems, and it turned out the vac line was split right up the middle

Many things can cause a sputter like that. In my case it was the mass airflow (MAF) sensor. I had a mild stutter under normal driving that would get severe under WOT up a hill.

You can check it by pulling the plug to the sensor - the car will freak out for a few seconds but will recover in about 10-15 seconds. It does this by comparing data from the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor against a data table programmed into the computer and backs its way into the airflow numbers. If the car runs better with the MAF disconnected then you've found the problem. If it still runs badly, just plug the MAF back in check the other items people mentioned (coils, plugs, cat, etc...) Hope this helps, took me a few months to track down the sensor problem. It never threw any computer codes.

best case scenario, you could have fouled plugs like my car had when it did that.
    -Brady-
    10- elantra- my 34 mpg daily driver
    02- camaro- turbo Sunday driver
    12.2 @ 112

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SLPCamaro99
    a bad Coil, replace them all and be done, Thats what solved my problem. The reason i say replace all three instead of one is they are bound to go bad eventually
    1999 Camaro A4 3.8L that's 100% Stock, and a weird transmission....
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l V8 4x4
    -Brian

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Smokin Ace 1011
    This forums "technical support" is in DIRE need of some change.

Quote Originally Posted by skimphish View Post
    if its a clogged cat he shouldnt be able to go over a certain mph.
    A clogged cats symptoms would be engine RPM related, not vehicle speed.

Quote Originally Posted by 96firephoenix View Post
    check your PCV control line.
    Our PCV systems are internal, there are very few vacuum lines on these cars, but I do agree on checking for vacuum leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by shizzle24 View Post
    a bad Coil, replace them all and be done
    Yes, spend hundreds of possibly non-refundable dollars on parts that haven't been diagnosed as faulty yet. Then what?

It sounds like a clogged cat or your not getting fuel all the way through the rail. Checking/gently cleaning your MAF sensors wouldn't hurt either. I totally agree with the seafoam treatment, however I don't think its gonna cure noticeable sputtering.
    Last edited by OneSlowL36; 01-06-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    ~Ryan~

A4, Z28 Catback, 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Cutout, PCMforLess tune, 3.42 Z/T
    As of now, its a 3350 lb paperweight.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SLPCamaro99
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowL36 View Post

Yes, spend hundreds of possibly non-refundable dollars on parts that haven't been diagnosed as faulty yet. Then what?
    Well I'm assuming he doesnt want to take it somewhere to be scanned with a scan tool and pay around $60 for that, because if it was put on a scan tool it may show a certain cylinder misfiring a ton while all other cylinders are 0. The scan tool will also show the history of misfires per cylinder. Thats how I determined my problem. My problem was the motor wobbled and car shook horribly under acceleration, also rpms were bouncy. Car could never go faster than ~40 mph. This is exactly how his problem sounds to me. My car never threw any codes either, if it was never scanned I would never have known it to be a coil. He could replace one coil, but it would require a lot of swapping of coils to see which one is bad. The scan tools at most auto parts store wont tell you the misfire information. He could always check and replace spark plugs, seeing if any plug is blacker than another indicating that it is unburnt fuel because the spark is not getting there because of the spark plug or coil. Also to check the coil, he could remove ONE spark plug wire boot from one coil start the car and see if the problem gets worse or stays the same. stays the same then the problem is in that coil or wire or spark plug.

**edit**- I just saw the OP's car has 157,000 miles on it. Thats a lot of miles, assuming its stock coils, arent those bound to go bad soon anyways??
    1999 Camaro A4 3.8L that's 100% Stock, and a weird transmission....
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l V8 4x4
    -Brian

Full Throttle Extreme! hevymetalg's Avatar
    a bad Coil, replace them all and be done, Thats what solved my problem. The reason i say replace all three instead of one is they are bound to go bad eventually
    I agree, I had that problem when I first got my car, and 3 times with in 2 months each one died! I would get them first just to rule it out no doubt! keep old ones as back ups.
    98 v6 camaro y87, k&N filter, SLP CAI, ngk iridium plugs, taylor 10.2mm blue wires, corvette servo, transgo hd-2 shift kit, lsd posi 3:23 gay rear!!!!,moog rear lca bushings, moog front upper and lower control arm bushings, moog upper and lower ball joints, new bigger 32mm front sway bar and 19mm rear bar with poly bushings, new poly torque arm bushing, new aluminum lower intake gasket from zzp, pacesetters headers

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: SparkyJJO

Well I'm assuming he doesnt want to take it somewhere to be scanned with a scan tool and pay around $60 for that, because if it was put on a scan tool it may show a certain cylinder misfiring a ton while all other cylinders are 0
    When I had my bad coil I just used the free scan from autozone and found which cylinder was acting up. Although, it had set my SES light so maybe that was easier then.
    - Jared
    1999 Camaro 3.8L A4, Mystic Teal Metallic. Cammed, headers. Stranos and Bilsteins, Founders LCAs, relo brackets, and adj. panhard. BLS + 5000k HID.
    2002 Trailblazer LS 4.2L 4x4, Forest Green Metallic and Herculiner Black two tone. Lifted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast