+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.4l Rebuild

3.4l Rebuild

Im considering a rebuild on my 3.4, just wondering if its worth it? And thoughts on whether I should go with just the overhaul kit, or the master rebuild kit?
    Also if anyone on here has done it, how long it took as well. I cant have my car down for too long.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think that it's worth it if you are going to keep the car for a while. Check and compare prices and the shops reputation. If you can do it yourself and have the knowledge to do it, then I think it's totally worth it but it's also your least expensive option. A gasket rebuild kit should run you no more than $200. How bad is the condition of the engine or do you just want to rebuild it just to rebuild it? My 93 has 170000 miles and the only way it's getting a rebuild is when it fails internally.
    1993 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L V6 stock

Well, I was planning on doing it myself. However, there will be no rebuild anymore. But thank you for your input. The motor is trying to crank over, and I can get it to start but it wont hold idle at startup on its own. Then, and heres the fun part, once you get it to hold idle its knocking.
    So Im pretty much carless right now...cus its not going anywhere.

ah c'mon. go for it. i got the hood, radiator, alternator, a/c comp, plenum, and all the wires and what not off in about 3 hours. and that wasn't even going fast. i'm 17. i think its worth it. removing it should take about 4-5 hours. and when i get a jack for the transmission i'll let you know how long it takes to replace all gaskets and internal parts.

Quote Originally Posted by bryans3.4 95 View Post
    ah c'mon. go for it. i got the hood, radiator, alternator, a/c comp, plenum, and all the wires and what not off in about 3 hours. and that wasn't even going fast. i'm 17. i think its worth it. removing it should take about 4-5 hours. and when i get a jack for the transmission i'll let you know how long it takes to replace all gaskets and internal parts.
    Having the knowledge, ability, and time to do it is not the issue here. Because I have all of the above. I no longer have a way to get to work. And the issue here, is the money. Congratulations on being 17, not sure what age has to do with it...

Full Throttle Extreme! 94CamaroV6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirdgirl88 View Post
    Having the knowledge, ability, and time to do it is not the issue here. Because I have all of the above. I no longer have a way to get to work. And the issue here, is the money. Congratulations on being 17, not sure what age has to do with it...
    Wow. Could have just told him thanks?
    55 Merc MC: SBC/5sp. I.P.
    84 Trans Am: Stripper.
    94 Camaro A4: Sex in the Front Seat.
    04 Colorado Extended Cab 4x4.
    Fact: Threads go to shit in ~7 Posts.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: funkz
    Sucks when your DD craps the bed. Sorry to hear it's knocking. What does the oil look like? ie. is it knocking because of coolant mix?
    Zahn
    2000 GrandAm GT
    1994 Firebird SOLD

Well, Im being told its knocking. And its definately something internal that IIIII have screwed up, of course.
    What I hear is pinging in the driver side valve cover. And its like every 30 seconds or so youll hear it. Once I got it cranked and heard it twice I immediately shut it off and hasnt been started since then.
    A friend suggestion jumped timing, and to start it and check the timing with a timing light.

Quote Originally Posted by fbirdgirl88 View Post
    Well, Im being told its knocking. And its definately something internal that IIIII have screwed up, of course.
    What I hear is pinging in the driver side valve cover. And its like every 30 seconds or so youll hear it. Once I got it cranked and heard it twice I immediately shut it off and hasnt been started since then.
    A friend suggestion jumped timing, and to start it and check the timing with a timing light.
    Why not pull that valve cover off first and take a look?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: funkz
    Yeah, might just be a loose rocker or a bent pushrod. Usually "knocking" is associated with rod bearings which you hear down in the bottom of the motor. "Pinging" ticking or clatter in the valve train is something different. I'd still check your fluids first, that can help pinpoint your problem.
    Zahn
    2000 GrandAm GT
    1994 Firebird SOLD

well my motor has had that since i got it. 178,000 now 200k. its the pushrod ticking. it only did it in colder weather. 10w 30 full synthetic made it basically stop. i was just saying it doesn't cost but $600 to do a full rebuild and a weekend to do it all maybe a day or two more. i was just trying to help. i've rebuilt and engine before and it runs really well at 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath View Post
    Why not pull that valve cover off first and take a look?
    I plan to. Gotta find a way to vatozone first though. But the guy that looked at it originally is convinced that #1 I cant be right and it cant be in the valve cover (even though we were both listening to the same thing) and #2 that its something deeper than the valvetrain. He just says the motor is dead.

Contributing Sponsor
    Cut yourself a piece of garden hose about 2' long. Put one end to your ear and use the other end to listen around your engine and see where the noise is exactly coming from.

Still use this method today and have been laughed at, but the laughing stopped quite quickly when an injector o-ring was replaced and the "done" engine was repaired in about 20 minutes.

You will easily tell if the knocking and/or tapping is coming from the valve cover or oil pan.

Light Throttle
    Many engines can be rebuilt with just new rings,bearings and gaskets,no machine work required,just honing to seat the rings.I've done several,after checking clearances with no problems.

Banned
    The least expensive approach to something that might fix it would be to adjust your rockers....i.e., adjust your valve lash. Worse comes to worse, you'll be out time and a set of valve cover gaskets, but at least it'll eliminate a possibility of the cause of ticking. Let me know if you need help...God knows I have done that job dozens of times.

+ Reply to Thread