+ Reply to Thread

4.3 Vortec heads

Iam new and was seeing if anybody knew how much better are the vortec heads compared too a set of 90,4.3 heads that have been fully ported out and have 2.02 &1.60 valves .I have heard that the vortecs will make about 20-30 more horsepower than the old heads worked out,and if so what heads are the best, and do they flow better with the stock 1.95-1.5 valves,or with a set of 2.02-1.60. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They will out flow ported 90's heads..

The intake bolt pattern is different.. so if your going to use your old style intake the Vortec heads will have to be drilled/tapped with old patttern.
    Edelbrock makes a vortec 4bb intake for the 4.3L.
    I just finished our Typhoon with the Vortec conversion.
    Lots of information over at www.syty.net.
    ~Scott
    86 Camaro 427LSX 4L80E 98mm 4L80E 3:25 Gear 8.6@165mph 22mpg highway
    Visit my site: www.smokedtailights.com
    Thanks!

the vortec heads have bigger intake ports(taller) with back cut valves for added flow and from what ive been told by machinest should not be hogged out for bigger valves as they dont have much meat. if you have them ported have someone who knows what there doing or they will ruin them. older heads can accept the bigger valves and with a nice port job and a set of back cut valves i see no reason they couldnt outflow the vortec heads.that is unless they are the swirl port heads, ive been told these heads are just plain terrible. the older heads also can support bigger cams with out machine work. i think the big question is the combustion chambers. the vortec chamber is just more effiecnt. in the end if your willing to spend the money the vortec heads machineed for bigger lift cams, ported would be the best bet. personally id love to see some dyno numbers, but there just arent many 4.3 guys out there willing to test things out on a dyno

ive never head of drilling the heads to accept the old style intake...i thought they where cut at a completly different angle.

for sealing reasons buy the correct intake, plus the eddie intake is freaking huge!

Where is the extra horses from the Vortec heads typically seen? Higher RPM's or through the whole range? My truck is a hauler, so I don't really care about the higher RPM's. But, if they are better than the stockers on my '92, I would be willing to look into them and the Edelbrock intake that is needed.

Right now i am gattering parts for a rebuild on my driver, it is a .030 over 10to1 4.3 with a 230-238 soild lift cam, and a 600cfm holley and a set of ported 1990 heads ,if the vortecs give more flow and horsepower gains i would like to switch to them,i need them to pull strong to at least 6000rpm to 6400.

dude im also most postive you cant run a solid lifter cam in a stock 4.3 block

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    dude im also most postive you cant run a solid lifter cam in a stock 4.3 block
    Out of the many posts, this one attract my attention. I believe it is possible for anyone to participate.
    Excellent ! I like it very much.
    Simulation pret immobilier | Taux credit immobilier de France | Calcul de financement par courtier

I have been running this engle cam since 1997,at first i had a lunati roller in it but it just didn't have the brute power the soild dose. the bottom end is all stock ,except arp bolts, i gone from a 390 cfm holley to a 600cfm over the years, and run a 2inch spacer.Right now i am switching gears in the back to a something a little beter on gas .

this is an article from hotrod magazine building the 43.v6 with a vortec super charger, at the very end is this passage.

Something Learned

We really wanted to step on the V-6, so we worked with the Comp Cams team at 800/CAM-HELP to design a custom solid-roller cam based on the flow numbers for the cylinder heads and the knowledge that we wanted serious rpm and big boost. We installed the cam and got the engine running only to discover a huge loss of oil pressure. It turns out that the lifter gallery on theV-6 block is drilled much lower than on a V-8, and when the solid roller lifters were installed, they allowed oil to escape when each lifter was pushed all the way up at max lift. The hydraulic rollers have a deeper skirt and do not pose this problem. So we were unable to use our trick custom cam. We later found that the GM Performance Products race blocks have priority-main, V-8-style oiling that's totally different than the production V-6 blocks, and only those race blocks can accommodate solid roller cams. Dang.

Mine is a soild lifter not a soild roller cam ,and on a soild roller cam you can get the right lifters if you want to pay for them , i know a lot of dirt track and oval track guys,that run soild rollers, but most of them run a oddfire crank.

hehe oops, didnt even catch that, just saw solid lifter and thought of the hotrod article and thought i better say something so no one goes through the same thing. didnt catch on to the solid roller thing till ti was to late.you learn something everyday.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: triplel82

You talking about engelson cams. (Beleive I spelled that right). They make some nasty solid style 4.3 cams. I've seen some back home in Missouri at the dirt tracks in a couple v6 modifieds just hands down woop v8 modifieds. The weight of the v6 makes the difference. The one I'm familiar with runs a mid 90's block with solid roller cam, so it is possible he must have used the special lifters because I didn't see anything done to the block when we put it together. The heads were from brodix so I can't comment on that too much. You guys can make these 4.3s run I've seen it.
    Larry:
    96 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    2010 Silverado 2500HD CCSB 4X4 LT Duramax/Allison DD toy
    2001 Harris Open Wheel Modified,

Yea i would love to have a set of the brodix heads ,there was a set on sell on race junk but cost some $$$ now ,like the bow tie blocks, but on a hydraulic roller cam the lifters on a v8 is the same as the v6 , you just can't go over .510 lift with out popping out the lifter out of the bore,with stock lifters.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: triplel82

^I've seen that. The engine shop guy is a veteran with anything v8 but he got so pissed off on that little 4.3 when he was asked to build it. He curses them still. Its funny as hell.
    Larry:
    96 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    2010 Silverado 2500HD CCSB 4X4 LT Duramax/Allison DD toy
    2001 Harris Open Wheel Modified,

+ Reply to Thread