Thread: best 4.2 mods

best 4.2 mods

Im sure you all will want to know what you can do to give your 4.2 a little extra help

here are a few ideas.... as this section grows Im sure there will be more ideas and more in depth instruction

CAI (bought or custom ask for details?)
    E-fans
    Tuners ( x-cal with custom tunes)
    Under Drive Pullleys
    exhaust
    " T "

2001 S/Cab XLT 4.2 5spd
    CAI, SI/DO Flowmaster 44
    PTM Grille, 04-08 badges

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Does Justin from VMP tune 4.2s?
    Jay

| 2007.5 GMC Sierra LMM w/ EFI Live | "Limped it twice...needs a Suncoast" |

Also, look up a DIY mod called the "J-mod"
    2001 Ford 4.2L w/ 4R70W
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5706_3.gif
    Gallery of my 4.2My Youtube Truck VideosMy Cardomain Page
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Screen-FX <------------ Click me to see some really cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Capone View Post
    Does Justin from VMP tune 4.2s?
    Yep... from what I hear he's got some great tunes for them too!!

2001 S/Cab XLT 4.2 5spd
    CAI, SI/DO Flowmaster 44
    PTM Grille, 04-08 badges

His tunes did wonders to my F-150...but, I'm running a Gryphon now. Would have gone with Troyer but the turnaround time on the tunes were too long, lol
    Jay

| 2007.5 GMC Sierra LMM w/ EFI Live | "Limped it twice...needs a Suncoast" |

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Paul View Post
    Yep... from what I hear he's got some great tunes for them too!!
    Yeah, Justin does amazing works for just an email tune! I wish I had the time and money to get a dyno tune from him.

He even followed up with me to make sure everything was working properly with the tunes and xcal.
    2001 Ford 4.2L w/ 4R70W
    http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5706_3.gif
    Gallery of my 4.2My Youtube Truck VideosMy Cardomain Page
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Screen-FX <------------ Click me to see some really cool stuff

Im geared LOW for more torque, i have adrop in air filter and hacked up exhaust.

Didnt do much to the 4.2L cause ill be replacing it next year with a 3.9L Cummins.

im still thinkin about TJ's old turbo setup. I have the money just not sure i want to spend it on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tonF150 View Post
    im still thinkin about TJ's old turbo setup. I have the money just not sure i want to spend it on that.
    That wouldnt be a bad way to spend some $$ he was putting up some pretty good #'s running 8psi on stock internals

2001 S/Cab XLT 4.2 5spd
    CAI, SI/DO Flowmaster 44
    PTM Grille, 04-08 badges

That wouldnt be a bad way to spend some $$ he was putting up some pretty good #'s running 8psi on stock internals
    the numbers he was makin realy mean nill to me though. His was a 4x2 mines a 4x4.

He was also running light tires/wheels. Im runnin 40's.

Only issue i have with the turbo is that i offroad my truck hard and often and kinda woried about all the tubing.

Plus thats 1500 that id take away from my diesel swap.

IF i stay gas it will probably be a 5.4L stroked to 6.2L with a blower ontop of that, should be good for 600hp on pump gas.

Yeah I think I would stick with the diesel swap.... the turbo for your truck just doesnt sound like a good fit... especially the way he had the piping routed under the frame doesnt seem like a good idea offroading Not that your hurtin' for clearance but I wouldnt want that hanging down the way his did Id be worried about it enough on a street truck

2001 S/Cab XLT 4.2 5spd
    CAI, SI/DO Flowmaster 44
    PTM Grille, 04-08 badges

Yeah I think I would stick with the diesel swap.... the turbo for your truck just doesnt sound like a good fit... especially the way he had the piping routed under the frame doesnt seem like a good idea offroading Not that your hurtin' for clearance but I wouldnt want that hanging down the way his did Id be worried about it enough on a street truck
    exactly, If i go that route id have to change some things. Im not sure on the price he wants for his setup. Im still thinkin about it for the mean time. Then hopefully the economy turns around and i can get rid of the motor and turbo before swappin the Cummins in.

Other issue are tuning, its gonna be tough to find a place that will dyno my truck, its just freakin big. IF i can find that then i might push on with the turbo. Ive been lookin aroud
    Last edited by 1tonF150; 06-28-2009 at 06:05 PM.